Forked Thread: What's the definition of a band

Janx

• Members

A jab (maybe in good fun) was made in the "what's the Point" thread that a guy who's band only gig's once every 10 months, wasn't in a band.

So, I figured it'd be fun (or abusive) to see what folks personal definition is.

I'll start: a group of 2 or more people that play instruments and may include at least 1 singer with the output being music.

It sounds lawyerly wimpy. I assume dudes getting together for 1 show is a band. An accapela group is not (no instruments). An instrumentalist group is a band (no singer). People getting together to work on doing a show is a band (even though they've never played out). People getting together just to play is a band.

I think I'd tighten it up to require the group was formed with an intention to play out (backyard tour counts). I also don't really think 2 people make a band, 3 I'll buy.

Others? Not so Webster's Dictionary-like?

• Members

I think I'd tighten it up to require the group was formed with an intention to play out (backyard tour counts). I also don't really think 2 people make a band, 3 I'll buy.

I don't agree with the stipulation that the group have the objective of "playing out". I'd consider a group meeting the other requirements that get together for the sole purpose of recording to be a band as well.

• Members

In the spirit of fun, I'll chime in with a couple of tidbits. One, the most internationally successful indie band in our town (40,000 records sold in Japan, 15,000 sold in the UK) plays locally maybe twice a year. What they're doing is very cool and I personally like them a lot but locally, it just doesn't connect. In fact, it doesn't seem to be connecting in the USA. But, they're a band in my opinion. The rehearse, record, make records and are really great when they do play live. Just an ananomoly I guess. Two, I definitely count some two-pieces as bands. White Stripes, Jucifer, The Black Keys etc... My project is a two-piece. I play a VERY electric-acoustic, sing and trigger "ambient in key" loops. The other guy plays drums, sings backing vocals, percussion bells and theramin. It's physical, it rocks and we play 90% on "band" shows. The number 1 comment from new listeners (besides "can I have your baby?" lol) is, with widened eyes, "I can't believe two guys make that much sound".

• Members

In the spirit of fun, I'll chime in with a couple of tidbits. One, the most internationally successful indie band in our town (40,000 records sold in Japan, 15,000 sold in the UK) plays locally maybe twice a year. What they're doing is very cool and I personally like them a lot but locally, it just doesn't connect. In fact, it doesn't seem to be connecting in the USA. But, they're a band in my opinion. The rehearse, record, make records and are really great when they do play live. Just an ananomoly I guess. Two, I definitely count some two-pieces as bands. White Stripes, Jucifer, The Black Keys etc... My project is a two-piece. I play a VERY electric-acoustic, sing and trigger "ambient in key" loops. The other guy plays drums, sings backing vocals, percussion bells and theramin. It's physical, it rocks and we play 90% on "band" shows. The number 1 comment from new listeners (besides "can I have your baby?" lol) is, with widened eyes, "I can't believe two guys make that much sound".

I'd like to hear some of this. Got any live recordings?

MS

• Members

I could see my not-yet-formed band only gigging a few times a year (3-4?) and I would be very satisfied with my "band". Obviously there is room for lots of levels within the term band.

I personally don't think of a duo as a "band" really...certainly they can be every bit as legitimate musically, I just probably wouldn't think to use the term "band" in conversation for that type of group.

Is Britney Spears a "band"? How about Elvis (when he was alive, obviously)? I could see arguments either way I guess.

I know there are acts that release albums under band-type names, rather than an individual's name, but that only have 1 core member, and then fill in with studio musicans, etc. for each record (not really coming up with good examples, but I know they're out there...anyone?)

• Members

I'd like to hear some of this. Got any live recordings?

MS

-I've got a couple of unsatisfactory ones. I'm actually desperate to capture a good boot recording as the project started with me releasing a solo (w/guests musicians) record and has really evolved quickly since. It's much more "folkadelic", minimal and bombastic live than the record suggests. A classic case of making a record before severely gigging the songs. A mistake on my end. Anyways, we've got shows coming up and if I catch one that represents, I'll pm ya.

• Members

Y'alll are making it harder than it has to be (this DOES seem to be a trend with bands ;))

All it takes to be a band is a group of musicians playing together...

Any of you cats ever heard of lead sheets and sheet music? ;)

Not all "bands" need to rehearse as a unit to make good music; just the less skilled ones (just calling it like it IS - there's a whole other class of pro-level musicians out there; schooled cats like Scofield who can take any stage, ANY TIME and still play their asses off.)

• Members

Here we go...

Why not just ask the definition of "Good music"? I do get the futility of the OP's question and realize that everyone has their own vision of what a "band" is.

My $.02... A band can be anything you want it to be. You don't have to play live, you don't have to record.

A band can be any group of musicians who play together in any degree of regularity. Garage, living room, storage unit, studio or stage, all are legitimate.

• Members

Nine Inch Nails? that guy that did The Real Slim Shady?

I don't know much about these folks...not really my personal genres of choice.

You mean Trent Reznor and M&M?

I wouldn't call them bands because, well, they are just one person (each). But when they perform live they are surrounded by other musicians. Who would probably be know as "Trents/M&MS band".

This kind of gives me a headache.... :lol:

• Members

Oh, good...this helps me sort out who the teenagers are and who the adults are here...thanks!

Don't take a holier than thou stance with me. I cut clean through your argument and took you to the mat without breakin a sweat. So fess up to it. Personally, I define a band as a group of musicians that practices and performs live consistently and thats what it is. Otherwise, you're just three or four guys jammin in a basement or garage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think a lot has to do with position and purpose. and elimination of redundancy. A duo can be a band if the instruments complement and contrast with each other in such a way that the sum is greater than the parts. A group of strangers who jam on common material for an evening but never see each other again can be a fine band. Four guitar players trading songs and licks isn't. That's just jammin'. A group of strangers (or friends) who jam on common material but lack the recquisite parts to render the material in a way that is musically complete is just jammin'.

Now I've seen a guy Fingerpick guitar, sing, play harp, kazoo and whistle while he kicks a suitcase and stomps on a bent cymbal, and make great music. All the recquisites but for feet on the ground. No band.

Archived