Do you guys use myspace for promotion/to get gigs

sickman

• Members

Our plan is to set up a myspace page and post 3-4 songs from a live performance so anyone interested in checking out the band can see we are legit. Do you think this is a good idea or do we need to go the CD route? We are also thinking about using a local booking agent and it sounds like the myspace page with live video clips would provide them with what they are looking for as far as who they are willing to "represent".

The last band I was in the guy had a myspace page and also a page on a local music website. He didn't have any sound clips and desipite his reputation was able to get 5-6 gigs a month... which is about what we are looking to do.

We're a typical cover band, so we're not looking to sink a bunch of money into a real slick promo package or pictures of us wearing matching shirts.

• Members

Its pretty important. Just make sure the sound quality is ok. People don't understand that a {censored}ty camcorder mic isn't your fault.

So you are saying it should work?

Another idea is these guys have played together in the past, so why not use one of those recordings to represent the current lineup. I can hold my own and have no problems not being on the recordings if it lands us some gigs.

• Members

Yep. We posted a string of clips and a few full length songs - both live and studio - and had offers not long after. Some gigs were booked entirely through MySpace - not so much as a phone call.

Stratman77's band booked a gig right after they posted a video of a song they were playing at practice.

But I'd still have a press kit ready. Not everyone wants to have to go online to see/hear your band.

• Members

Myspace hasn't really got us any gigs but it does get people out to see our shows.

Get a multitrack recorder and mic each instrument in your rehearsal space to make your "Live" recording. Do you really want a crappy recording to represent your band?

Check out our myspace page it can be accessed from our main web site. I just recorded it in our practice space with digital 8 track. I cheated a little bit by tracking the vocals seperate from the intruments so I could get a vocal track without intruments bleeding into it.

Max

• Members

Yep. We posted a string of clips and a few full length songs - both live and studio - and had offers not long after. Some gigs were booked entirely through MySpace - not so much as a phone call.

Stratman77's band booked a gig right after they posted a video of a song they were playing at
practice

But I'd still have a press kit ready. Not everyone wants to have to go online to see/hear your band.

I just think no one is going to want to sink money into it until we see it's not a one or two month "one gig" wonder. In the meantime, I'm curious to see how it works.

Like I said, the last band I was in didn't even have any clips and basically got gigs because of the guys BS'ing skills. I didn't want to play at 75% of the places, but one or two places were pretty nice and I hope we can play them with this band.

• Members

So you are saying it should work?

Another idea is these guys have played together in the past, so why not use one of those recordings to represent the current lineup. I can hold my own and have no problems not being on the recordings if it lands us some gigs.

Obviously it depends on the number of bands in your area. Here in Austin with 10,000 gigging bands no one gets booked off of a myspace page because EVERY one of those bands plus another 10,000 non-gigging bads (probably more) have pages. The BEST way to get gigs is to go find them. If there is a club you want to play physically go to the club and give him a flyer or card or SOMETHING with the myspace on it.

I guess this is my feeling: In the effort of getting booked, NOTHING which garnishes the band exposure is a bad idea. EPK, myspace, facebook, website or whatever, it is another road by which someone can arrive at your band. Setting up a myspace page takes about 30 minutes and a facebook page a little longer plus the time for them to 'approve' your band. Both are free and very worth it.

• Members

Our myspace (.../terrapinisland) page has been very good to us. We had a friend record video and multitrack audio at practice, then added more audio and a couple of performance vids later.

One year later, we've had 15,000 visits.

We gig once -- maybe twice -- a month and most of the interest has come through the myspace page.

• Members

Myspace has gotten us every gig we've had thus far, plus already booked future shows.

We've got our 3 song demo up there, as well as vids of a recent live gig.

It's allowed us to network with nearly every other band in our area and this is essentially what gets us gigs. You find some bands with a similar sound and set up a show...

And promoters scan Myspace as well. We played the Middle East in Boston last Friday as a result of that very thing. Promoter heard us, liked us and booked us....we didn't do a damn bit of work!

We'd have nothing without Myspace...

www.myspace.com/project18theband

• Members

We don't approach new clubs for bookings on the basis of our myspace page. However we get new bars that contact us all the time through our myspace site.

Our audio clips are barely adequate... our video is not very professional looking, but when you wrap it up with live images from shows, and myspace activity on our site it completes the entire picture.

http://www.myspace.com/nutsinablender

If we are looking to break into a new club or market we certainly mail a press kit and DVD. We haven't done this in a while since we're pretty well set on rooms... but we have plenty of press kits on reserve should the need arise.

• Members

Thanks for all the info. I will check out the myspace pages at home.

Do you guys know of a program where you can add graphics to make band logos? I'm somewhat computer sauvy... If I could get something with "generic" images and text fonts I think I could come up with something decent. I have done decent stuff using just Word in the past.

Thanks again!!

• Members

Thanks for all the info. I will check out the myspace pages at home.

Do you guys know of a program where you can add graphics to make band logos? I'm somewhat computer sauvy... If I could get something with "generic" images and text fonts I think I could come up with something decent. I have done decent stuff using just Word in the past.

Thanks again!!

Using free fonts is the easiest way I've found to create a band logo:

http://www.dafont.com/

Archived