Ok.. my turn to ask setlist suggestions

Kramerguy

• Members

My originals band is attempting to re-define itself as a bar/club "party" band, and we're floating songs for our new set list - (well not really, were splitting originals gigs and cover gigs into two different persona's FWIW)

Anyways, I wanted to ask about a couple of specific songs and if you guys think they would go over well (assuming we nail them, performance-wise), in a typical "dance" set:

This song - Letters to Cleo - Here and Now

wxxwTUIMpCw

And-

B-52's - Private Idaho

NDfT2NYHyD8

• Members

Neither songs were on the radio in my area, so I can't comment on that side of it. Some level of song recognition goes a long way for a cover band.

But, even if they weren't, if the dance floor was goin' and the alcohol was flowin', I could see them both working. Sorry, I meant workin'.

js

• Members

When I worked in radio we played Here and Now for a while. The strange part is the girl I was dating at the time looked just like the singer. I would love to do a set of semi-obscure early 90s stuff like that one, girl like you, sister havana, plowed, low, girlfriend, I touch myself, perfectly good guitar, etc... oh well

• Members

When I worked in radio we played Here and Now for a while. The strange part is the girl I was dating at the time looked just like the singer. I would love to do a set of semi-obscure early 90s stuff like that one,
girl like you
, sister havana, plowed,
low
girlfriend
I touch myself
perfectly good guitar
, etc... oh well

Are these considered obscure songs now? I remember them getting a LOT of radio airplay back in the day. (not so much for the Sponge and Urge Overkill titles)

I Touch Myself is on our "to do" list... as part of a masturbation medley.

• Members

Are these considered obscure songs now? I remember them getting a LOT of radio airplay back in the day. (not so much for the Sponge and Urge Overkill titles)

That sponge song made a major comeback on the radio here recently, my modern rock band does it, and it kicks ass.

• Members

I'm unsure about them actually. they may work. give it a shot. if they don't work... toss 'em out.

speaking of Turning Japanese. We learned this tune last year, figuring that it will mesh well with the rest of our 80s stuff.

The dance floor CLEARED when we played it!!!! So played it at a few more gigs. Same thing so, we dropped it.

the point is, ya never know.

the other stuff mentioned like:

girl like you, plowed, low, girlfriend, I touch myself would fare better, at least here in my area of PA.

• Members

A masturbation medley? I must suggest Jellyfish's "He's My Best Friend". It's one of the most innocent-sounding dick/masturbation songs ever.

A live version (couldn't find a studio version):

It's on their album "Spilt Milk" and has been used in movies here and there, but it was never a hit (which to me is a shame).

Brian V.

• Members

Turning Japanese was a turd for my old band, too...and we played it really well (one of our best songs, actually). It just got a consistently lukewarm reaction.

As for the two tunes, I love them both, especially "Here and Now", but I doubt that they'll work in any big way. "Private Idaho" would be great in the middle or at the end of a really dancy 80s set. "Here and Now" is a first- or fourth-set song because it really wasn't a big hit and Letters To Cleo aren't really known anymore - I mean, it was their biggest song, and it barely cracked the top ten on modern rock radio (and did nothing on the pop charts). It hasn't really had legs, either - I haven't heard it on the radio since it was a hit.

I like them, I just doubt how effective they'd be in a cover band's setlist...

Brian V.

• Members

Private Idaho is a great song. I hear it on the radio occasionally here in the Seattle area. There was also a Keanu Reeves and River Phoenix movie named after it, loosely based on Henry IV. I would love to play it, and I think it would sound great from a live bar band. I'm not familiar with the Cleo song.

• Members

I say "yes" to "Here and Now" and "no" to "Private Idaho".

The Letters to Cleo song is one of those perfect songs (IMO) that people have forgotten they remember...so when you play it note perfect they'll think, "Man, I really liked that song!" and they'll love your band for reminding them of it. Golden!

And if you have a guitarist or guitarists that can pull of the excellent lead work of Richard Lloyd and Robert Quine, then definitely work "Girlfriend" in there!

Archived