What do you think of the CL post?

austikins

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think it's so bad. It's certainly better than pay to play. At least they're honest about it.

I think it's an insult to working musicians.

Do you have CD's and T shirts to sell so you can make a few bucks?

Instead of being paid by the host?

Will 50 people come out to see you for free

Why, are you incapable of drawing your own crowd?

...and averaging over 650 fans a night

So you are drawing 600 in addition to the 50 my band is bringing? And you STILL dont want to pay me?

I would expect nasty replies, honest or not. It's basically saying "Hey bands, we will not pay you a thing but will give you the chance to sell your stuff"

Of course I don't know this particular area, maybe every other paying club is too small for a merch area? :confused:

• Members

I think it's an insult to working musicians.

Instead of being paid by the host?

Why, are you incapable of drawing your own crowd?

So you are drawing 600 in addition to the 50 my band is bringing? And you STILL dont want to pay me?

I would expect nasty replies, honest or not. It's basically saying "Hey bands, we will not pay you a thing but will give you the chance to sell your stuff"

And yet, there are bands who will "take this opportunity".

I don't see much difference between this and pre-selling tickets, personally.

• Members

Spokane is a horrible music town. You're either in a classic rock band playing for 400 a night or you're in an original band playing for free. Or you're a small acoustic thing playing for somewhere in between. I hate it. I almost never play in Spokane anymore. I do a few benefits and that's it. I'll drive to Kalispell MT 4 hours away or to Wenatchee or just about anywhere else and make more money that Spokane wants to pay. Even Coeur D'Alene 30 miles away pays better and it's a town 1/8th the size.

The Knitting Factory is a nice concert venue. They're just looking for off night revenue from bands they don't have to pay. And there aren't any shortage of bands who will look at playing there with their pro lighting and sound and big stage as a form of payment. Even the bands they do get paid do so off ticket sales.

They claim they are trying to develop a 'diverse music scene'. If you define 'diverse' as different genres of rock and hip hop, then yeah. But if you play jazz, blues, country, or anything else, forget it. And they wonder why they're struggling.

Other than the fact that bands who pre-sell tickets can make $1000-$1500-$2000

If there is a local band in Spokane who can presell even 500 dollars in tickets there I'll eat my tele.

• Members

Other than the fact that bands who pre-sell tickets can make $1000-$1500-$2000 and these bands are guaranteed not to get paid?
:confused:

These bands can sell their merch. If their songs are good and well produced/recorded they could make that much or more. :poke:

I would think it would be easier for an unknown band to sell their CDs at a gig with people already there than it would be to sell tickets to people ahead of time. :idk:

Of course, this is something I don't care to know anything about. :cop:

• Members

These bands can sell their merch. If their songs are good and well produced/recorded they could make that much or more. :poke:

I would think it would be easier for an unknown band to sell their CDs at a gig with people already there than it would be to sell tickets to people ahead of time.
:idk:

Of course, this is something I don't care to know anything about.
:cop:

If you sell merch and CDs you could walk with that PLUS your door take. Just FYI - We just booked another "pre-sell" show for June. We already have 72 tickets sold. We'll probably walk with $2000 or more after the show and if we can make and sell shirts we could walk with $3000.

HOWEVER - If Spokane is really as bad Bluestrat says I'd rather play a bad ass venue for free than a {censored}ty venue for $60. If nothing else you could use the signal out of the board + shoot a video and put together part of a great EPK.

• Members

BTW I should add that I don't think the Knitting factory guys think they're doing anything bad and in fact truly believe they're offering bands opportunities in good faith.

Much like most club owners who feel that musicians are overpaid, pampered, spoiled children who don't deserve to be paid much, if at all, for performing?

:D

• Members

Without knowing what the local scene is like, it's hard to really say whether or not that's a bad deal. Getting to play on a nice stage with good sound and lights isn't that bad of a deal for an original band when the alternative is playing for $80 with lousy production.

• Members

The clarifying post says that they are providing a venue for a band that isn't gigging anywhere - so they can sell their merch? If you're good enough that people want to buy your merch, I'd think you were good enough to get paid.

If not, then you're bringing your friends to fill the club and buy their booze.

I'll go to new music nights in my town from time to time, because I expect that there's been some quality control with the booking. There's no quality control here - and I wouldn't go.

js

• Members

Well we have a venue in OKC kind of doing the same thing..all local bands, awesome stage, lights and sound, on Thursday nights. We get paid and get to sell our merch. Only get a buck a head, but at least we're getting paid.

It's a 5.00 cover, 3 bands. Each band gets a buck a head, venue gets the other 2 to pay the sound guy and whatever is left over. Which, Thursdays here..shouldn't be much. At least they are trying..to do something.

• Members

If I'm reading it right - they're not asking the bands to "pre-sell" tickets or come up with any cash obligations - which in my mind keeps it out of the "pay to play" category.

If the venue developes a regular crowd - provides good house PA and lights - and allows the bands to sell music and merchandise without taking a cut - I could see where it has the potential to be a win/win for everybody involved.

While I would certainly not be looking to make it a regular thing - I could see doing one or two - even if it's simply to be able to use that which looks to be a hugh stage for a promo video shoot.

• Members

Just FYI - We just booked another "pre-sell" show for June. We already have 72 tickets sold. We'll probably walk with $2000 or more after the show and if we can make and sell shirts we could walk with $3000.

Just FYI

I just booked a 2 hour private party for $2400 at a 300 seat music venue in town for September. It turns out the Miss Teen USA pageant is having their rehearsal week dance here. I don't even have to pay for plane tickets. :rawk:

:blah:

• Members

Honestly... if the venue is as nice as it is, and we were able to get the full treatment (house sound and lights) then I'd might even consider it... just as Austin says, at least I'd have some great video and photos. To me that's worth more than a low paying gig at a {censored}ty bar (not saying that option would be a possibility).

• Members

I think the larger problem with the post is that it seems to be a growing trend, bars/clubs/venues that decide instead of hiring solid entertainment for a fair price, they are going to have slightly less established entertainment, and not pay them. The CL post clearly states that a band has to have a following of 50 people minimum, which any band that can guarantee 50 people minimum is going to be getting top $ at the local bars.

I'd say on the surface, that it does look like a good deal, as suggested, you can film a promo video or record, or whatever, but you are at the same time encouraging this type of business and helping it grow. First it was the bars, now this? What's next?

I think the club owners very much know what they are doing.. they know there's a ladder of success bands have to climb to establish themselves, and are willing to take shortcuts. This concept only allows less-than-desirable bands to showcase with the better ones, and when the band fails to entertain the crowd, who is the venue going to blame? Surely not themselves for booking a {censored}ty band.. no .. they are going to blame the band 100%, and bam.. in a town with not much of a music scene, that band is toast, when they could have become a better band working the smaller bars and getting tighter... working their way up like they were supposed to.

This is a wolf in sheep's clothing IMO. Surely on the surface it looks like a good idea, but if EVERY club started doing that, {censored}ty bands will ruin the scene, and what do fans know? They know that the local music scene sucks anymore... why bother going to see the next band?

• Members

This is perfect for a bunch of high school kids that aren't going to get much of an opportunity anywhere else.

A friend of mine has been talking about doing this for a while now - providing the equipment/venue and giving kids a chance to play on a "real" stage. He wants to help young musicians develop. He wants to offer a studio that they can record in, a stage that they can play on, clinics on band promotion, etc. - all non-profit. The only thing stopping him is a lack of funding.

I wish something like that existed back when I was 16. I would have probably started playing guitar then instead of waiting until I was 33.

• Members

Just FYI

I just booked a 2 hour private party for $2400 at a 300 seat music venue in town for September. It turns out the Miss Teen USA pageant is having their rehearsal week dance here. I don't even have to pay for plane tickets.
:rawk:

:blah:

which.... has absolutely NOTHING to to with the subject at hand but...um... good for you?

Archived