Free friendly advice

Kramerguy

• Members

I'll take issue with the bolded (emphasis mine) statement, and say that, yes, they are auditioning for me as much as I for them. Now, I'm not going to be having an "outlaw country" band try to play a Dream Theater song, obviously, but I am checking out the talent and abilities of them at least as much as they are checking me out.

I should add that I do agree with the "don't try to get them to play something else" thing. It
is
an audition, and the test music should be agreed to beforehand.

Yeah, I agree the audition process is something of a two-way street. I should have taken the time to write that part better. I was trying to say that the band isn't there to follow the person who's auditioning on dream theater songs if the band is a tom petty tribute band.. or something like that..

• Members

Here's the addendum for bands holding an audition:

1. Know what an audition is. An audition is where an existing band needs to fill a particular position and are trying out several people to see who the best fit is. Agree on five to ten songs to go over. Don't wing it and just send them a setlist that contains a bunch of songs you haven't played in years, because you know damned well that's what I'll pick. Tell me the songs.

2. Know the songs you sent me. If you send me 10 songs, you'd better know each and every one of them and not include any you were "thinking of doing". I am not there to teach you these songs.

3. Do not get drunk while I'm auditioning. Hey. I like beer as much as the next guy, but maybe you should hold it to six or less per person. Also, know that passing that bottle of Jack Daniels around typically ends practice.

4. Know what an established band is. If you're three boyhood friends that just bought instruments and have never played a song together, don't advertise as an "established band".

5. If you invite me over for a "jam session", you should at least know a I-IV-V blues progression. You should also know where the "D" is on your bass.

6. Don't open with a critique of my gear. Don't say "Fifty watts, even if it's tube, ain't big enough." It is unless we're playing Madison Square Gardens and even then, we can just mic it.

7. Don't insist on "Pro Gear" while you're playing through a 65 watt Spyder III set to stun.

8. Don't set up the audition in the drummer's basement room, which doubles as his bedroom. Because a 10 X 12 space is not big enough to hold a sofa, a mini-refrigerator, a space heater, three amps, a PA, and five musicians. And for God's sake will you turn that heater down? It's like an oven in here. Oh! You're going to smoke? That's terrific. I hope everyone smokes, because I can still breathe.

9. Don't sell pot while we're waiting for the rest of the band to show up. If you must, don't invite the buyers to stay to watch the audition. And if they want more Zeppelin, you should have put that on the list.

I think that about covers it...

• Members

Here's the addendum for bands holding an audition:

1. Know what an audition is. An audition is where an existing band needs to fill a particular position and are trying out several people to see who the best fit is. Agree on five to ten songs to go over. Don't wing it and just send them a setlist that contains a bunch of songs you haven't played in years, because you know damned well that's what I'll pick. Tell me the songs.

2. Know the songs you sent me. If you send me 10 songs, you'd better know each and every one of them and not include any you were "thinking of doing". I am not there to teach you these songs.

3. Do not get drunk while I'm auditioning. Hey. I like beer as much as the next guy, but maybe you should hold it to six or less per person. Also, know that passing that bottle of Jack Daniels around typically ends practice.

4. Know what an established band is. If you're three boyhood friends that just bought instruments and have never played a song together, don't advertise as an "established band".

5. If you invite me over for a "jam session", you should at least know a I-IV-V blues progression. You should also know where the "D" is on your bass.

6. Don't open with a critique of my gear. Don't say "Fifty watts, even if it's tube, ain't big enough." It is unless we're playing Madison Square Gardens and even then, we can just mic it.

7. Don't insist on "Pro Gear" while you're playing through a 65 watt Spyder III set to stun.

8. Don't set up the audition in the drummer's basement room, which doubles as his bedroom. Because a 10 X 12 space is not big enough to hold a sofa, a mini-refrigerator, a space heater, three amps, a PA, and five musicians. And for God's sake will you turn that heater down? It's like an oven in here. Oh! You're going to smoke? That's terrific. I hope everyone smokes, because I can still breathe.

9. Don't sell pot while we're waiting for the rest of the band to show up. If you must, don't invite the buyers to stay to watch the audition. And if they want more Zeppelin, you should have put that on the list.

I think that about covers it...

haha... good stuff :thu:

I forgot to mention in the OP about showing up to an audition with a 6-pack and getting drunk lol. Nice catch for both sides.

• Members

Actually I didn't play the breakdown part right - I had just learned it the night before. I mean, it sounds OKAY but it's not up to "tribute" standards (I kinda faked it rhythmically)

Then again, I wasn't expecting much (and was not disappointed, lol), and I'm in 2 other bands with full setlists, so it was a bit of a chore to make myself sit down and learn the tunes (even though they're easy - I spent a total of about 2 hours on 8 or so tunes)

Thanks man - your opinion actually sealed the deal for me; I was on the fence but no more - we'll find a singer that can do better....

I just listened again on decent speakers. Two things:

1. The bass part was cool, even if it wasn't completely correct. You captured the spirit of it, which is important and ensures that only musical freaks (like some of us on here) will notice that you didn't play it exactly like the original.

2. The vocalist has to go. He's TERRIBLE. I now believe I was being too kind last time. Every time he sings "doctor" he's completely flat. And his voice is more Jim Morrison than DLR. It sounded sort of like Glenn Danzig singing Van Halen. The band sounded really good - I'd definitely go see you guys no matter what you were playing. The vocals were just embarrassing.

Brian V.

• Members

I just listened again on decent speakers. Two things:

1. The bass part was cool, even if it wasn't completely correct. You captured the spirit of it, which is important and ensures that only musical freaks (like some of us on here) will notice that you didn't play it exactly like the original.

2. The vocalist has to go. He's TERRIBLE. I now believe I was being too kind last time. Every time he sings "doctor" he's completely flat. And his voice is more Jim Morrison than DLR. It sounded sort of like Glenn Danzig singing Van Halen. The band sounded really good - I'd definitely go see you guys no matter what you were playing. The vocals were just embarrassing.

Brian V.

Yeah, I agree and that's why we haven't called the guy back.

It was hilarious when he said: "call me Dave" and then proceeded to butcher the tunes.

He had the swagger part down, but the cat's just plain delusional. :facepalm:

I had to drink a six pack to get through the rehearsal - I was pretty well buzzed by the time we recorded that song you heard (we all were) and we STILL played way better than that dude.

At least it didn't sound quite so bad, until we heard the playback the next day....:facepalm:

You should have seen the look on his face when he spotted the ADAT in the corner - it was like deer in a headlights (oh {censored}, they're on to me!)

Then after Corey sent him the recordings, all he had to say was: "You should have spiced em up a little more". Uhhh.....yeah....like with what, autotune? :lol:

• Members

You mean like those Craiglist adds:

"Established band seeks guitar player, bass, drums and keyboard to augment singer"

:poke:

• Members

Do you ever tell people why you didn't select them? Like that nu-rock/emo guy at the top of the page.

Or does this do no good to anyone, and people have to work it out for themselves?

GaJ

Usually not, but it depends on the issue. The drunk... yeah.. I would totally just tell him his drinking is an issue and that we don't want to deal with it.

The hapless wanker, pushy, etc guy? No point. Unlike in the movies, people in real life just don't change. By telling the guy his wanking and pushy attitude is why we don't want him, only gives him a heads up on how to *act* at his next audition, and the next band will find out 2 months later that the guy is a raging egomaniac, and then we get to see "how do we get rid of this bandmate" threads here...

So, yeah.. I like to keep the pool clean, it's better for me when the local bands are good, and worse for me when they all suck. So I just tell most of them that we don't think they are a "good fit".

• Members

You mean like those Craiglist adds:

"Established band seeks guitar player, bass, drums and keyboard to augment singer"

:poke:

Ha ha, classic! :lol:

I've seen that type of ad many, many times (insert any member for any other..."band seeking drummer, singer and guitarist" for instance). I always see that and say to myself, "Where's the band? Oh, you want to INVITE one over, one person at a time...gotcha."

I don't know why people don't just join someone else's band for the experience, then form their own after they know what the hell they're doing. Ego, I suppose.

• Members

Do you ever tell people why you didn't select them? Like that nu-rock/emo guy at the top of the page.

We didn't call him back or anything.

He worked at the same restaurant as the drummer, so when he asked what was up he was told we were interested in playing rock covers and not originals (which is what he was told before he came to audition).

He was cool with that, and wound up starting his own original band.

As far as David Lee Delusional - nah, we just won't call him back.

I don't think it's productive to pull a Simon Cowell on someone who clearly has no conception of how badly they suck.

• Members

We didn't call him back or anything.

He worked at the same restaurant as the drummer, so when he asked what was up he was told we were interested in playing rock covers and not originals (which is what he was told before he came to audition).

He was cool with that, and wound up starting his own original band.

As far as David Lee Delusional - nah, we just won't call him back.

I don't think it's productive to pull a Simon Cowell on someone who clearly has no conception of how badly they suck.

You don't need to be Simon Cowell or Homer Simpson ("you suck, I've seen suck before but that was the suckiest suck that ever sucked a suck") but a quick call or even email to say something as simple as "Hey thanks for coming out, we enjoyed meeting you but at this time, we don't think you're the person we're looking for" or something to that effect. At least that way, the guys not sitting at home wondering and waiting and wondering and wating. A little courtesy goes a long way. Just my 2 cents

• Members

You don't need to be Simon Cowell or Homer Simpson ("you suck, I've seen suck before but that was the suckiest suck that ever sucked a suck") but a quick call or even email to say something as simple as "Hey thanks for coming out, we enjoyed meeting you but at this time, we don't think you're the person we're looking for" or something to that effect. At least that way, the guys not sitting at home wondering and waiting and wondering and wating. A little courtesy goes a long way. Just my 2 cents

+1

I would much prefer to know that I wasn't selected in a somewhat friendly fashion than to not know at all, hanging on the line, wondering if I'm still in the band (or worse, being told with a long list of just why I suck so bad).

When I'm the bandleader, I am always upfront with people when they aren't chosen for a gig or when we decide to go with someone else. I don't want two people showing up for the gig by "accident," which causes some hurt feelings and anger.

• Members

Yeah, that's probably what I'd do, but it's not really my call since I'm not putting the project together.

I'm pretty sure Corey has already responded to the guy in e-mail and told him it didn't work out.

Archived