fix the wrong note on "Frankenstein" ?

J.Paul

• Members

So we're learning "Frankestein".

There's a wrong note on the guitar at 2:57

(The harmonized ascending line w/ the sax just before the unison riff)

It should be an F and instead it's an F#.

Do I fix it or play it like it is?

• Members

Depends, if it doesn't REALLY sound out, keep it. if it's going to bother you, play the "right" note

I play a few "Fun" notes on some Allman stuff. bass is not exactly with guitars/not really doing harmony...

It's the jazz influence, yeah, that's the ticket!

• Members

Audience won't notice, most likely. So, get down with your bad self... and flip a coin :)

• Members

I admit, I haven't listened to that song in ages.. but do you think it's possible that the flub was intentional to create a specific dissonance, just on that one line of the progression, where as they would have intentionally not done that on the other instances of the progression in the song?

Maybe it's me.. but the stoners of the 60's and 70's did a lot of crazy {censored} with the music and some of it was so subtle that people probably still haven't noticed, unless they were stoned, of course :)

• Members

It's at 1:47 - don't know where you got 2:57 from. :poke:

Sounds to me like the dissonance may have been intentional.

When my old rock band played it, the guitarist played an F, though.

It sounded better to both of us, although your talking about an event that lasts a quarter of a second, that nobody is going to notice, but you.

• Members

that's interesting,

so he opted to play the F too.

yeah it kinda bugs me so I went ahead and memorized the F / Dm for now

It's at 1:47 - don't know where you got 2:57 from. :poke:

Sounds to me like the dissonance may have been intentional.

When my old rock band played it, the guitarist played an F, though.

It sounded better to both of us, although your talking about an event that lasts a quarter of a second, that nobody is going to notice, but you.

• Members

Pretty damn presumptuous to assume it's wrong.

I dunno, "mistakes" get left in pro recordings more often than you might think. I heard two this morning, as a matter of fact. In Metallica's "Blackened" after the solo there's a bridge where Lars gets slightly behind the beat (or, more likely, everyone gets slightly ahead of the beat) for a couple measures and then it resyncs up again for the rest of the bridge. It's really obvious once you notice it, but since the band was rarely in the studio at the same time during the recording of "And Justice..." they apparently just left it.

Also, in the intro of "Don't Cry" by G'n'R Slash partially misfrets a string (only really in a way that a player would notice) and they chose (apparently) to keep it in.

• Members

Certainly not the easiest song.....I've done it and took quite a while for me to learn. I'd sure like to hear how you deal with it.......................

• Members

There's a huge mistake at the end of The Police's "De Do Do Do" - during the last chorus just before the end of the song, listen very closely to the guitar part.

It's pretty hilarious.
:thu:

Theres one bass note wrong on Journey's "Dont Stop Believing" during the first bridge. Its hard to catch. Maybe a bad punch, but its there

• Members

Yeah that's the point of the thread actually....

Who am I to say that the legends of rock were wrong,

other than it being wrong in theory.

Pretty damn presumptuous to assume it's wrong.

BTW ChickenMonkey

I did check out two live versions (one w/ Derringer and one w/ another guy) and both of them played the theoretically correct F / dm, which leads me to believe that the recording does indeed have a mistake on it.

• Members

I did check out two live versions (one w/ Derringer and one w/ another guy) and both of them played the theoretically correct F / dm, which leads me to believe that the recording does indeed have a mistake on it.

Recording is expensive (is less so now, I guess, but still!)! If it takes us 3 days to figure out if it was a mistake or not, I can see why they'd leave it.

• Members

It's rock 'n roll, there is no "right" and "wrong." Play what you feel.

I'd purposely change it around, anyway--freshen it up for modern times.

-------------------

Back in the day, before computers and digital recording, "mistakes" often were left in. You can hear minor flubs in many major recordings, even huge hit songs. Doesn't bother me, as that indicates it's human. Indeed, some of this modern, overly produced music sounds sterile, it's too perfect. Autotune, yech, don't even get me started...

Archived