Let's discuss "doing it for fun"

Kramerguy

• Members

I've seen this phrase used over and over, and since my mind is spinning at a gazillion ticks a second, I ponder useless stuff like this phrase.

Anyways.. I see people offer advice and it's usually padded with "as long as you are having fun..." as if music should be all about fun. If it's not fun, that it somehow loses it artistry or something.

For me, there are 'fun' songs to play, but many of them evoke more emotion that just fun. Playing a depressing song in D minor isn't fun, although it is quite enjoyable, in the sense that I would find that particular song moody and emotionally moving.

So is the 'fun' factor the main driving point of 'jam' and 'party' bands?

I guess my whole point is that music can evoke dozens, if not hundreds of simple and complex emotions, and only one of them is called fun :D

discuss!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can have fun just noodling around with a bunch of schmucks who have no timing and can't tune their instruments.

But that would not be fun at all if it was on stage in front of an audience.

So I guess my idea of fun depends on who is listening. :D

In fact, I don't own one single piece of Jam band music. But whenever I see one live I always enjoy it.

Hmmm...not really sure what the question is...

• Members

I can have fun just noodling around with a bunch of schmucks who have no timing and can't tune their instruments.

But that would not be fun at all if it was on stage in front of an audience.

So I guess my idea of fun depends on who is listening.
:D

In fact, I don't own one single piece of Jam band music. But whenever I see one live I always enjoy it.

Hmmm...not really sure what the question is...

Fair enough...

In short, I'm more into progressive, folk, and other music, rather than just the dance floor standards, at least when I'm doing music for myself at home..

So what I meant to say was that there's songs that are so powerful, like chariots of fire, beethovens moonlight sonata, etc.. that have nothing whatsoever to do with "fun", but are still 'rewarding' to play, at least personally. I was just trying to open a discussion, or point out the fallacy that music always has to be "fun"

• Members

For me, there are 'fun' songs to play, but many of them evoke more emotion that just fun. Playing a depressing song in D minor isn't fun, although it is quite enjoyable, in the sense that I would find that particular song moody and emotionally moving.

discuss!

Is there a difference? To paraphrase one of our former presidents, "Depends on what the definition of the word fun is."

To me "fun" is doing something I enjoy. So if playing a "depressing song in D minor" is enjoyable, then I'd say it is fun.

• Members

Is there a difference? To paraphrase one of our former presidents, "Depends on what the definition of the word fun is."

To me "fun" is doing something I enjoy. So if playing a "depressing song in D minor" is enjoyable, then I'd say it is fun.

This.

My idea of fun is kickin "rawk" ass in front of a good, participating crowd. Somebody else's idea may be wowing the audience with their 9-minute-per-overture artistic visions.

Whatever gets you off.

• Members

I would never have any fun doing that

Me either, usually. Depends on the situation; while I really enjoy playing with high caliber players I like to think I am not too holier than thou to hang with anyone who just wants to play. Of course I don't go out of my way for things like that, but I do have a few friends that just started playing and I have to admit that I do enjoy their fumbling around, in small doses. :D

• Members

So what I meant to say was that there's songs that are so powerful, like chariots of fire, beethovens moonlight sonata, etc.. that have nothing whatsoever to do with "fun", but are still 'rewarding' to play, at least personally. I was just trying to open a discussion, or point out the fallacy that music always has to be "fun"

Ah, I get it now.

I don't think music always has to be "fun" in the sense you just described; in fact I think we are short changing music if that is the only goal; your examples are spot on in that music has the ability to move you without necessarily being "fun".

I once heard a classical piece in a foreign language that almost moved me to tears; couldn't understand one word yet it still had an impact.

• Members

I was in the middle of typing the same exact thing when I read your reply, so yeah, +1. If it's enjoyable, I call it fun, depressing dirge or upbeat anthem.

• Members

If playing music isn't fun then you're in it for money... Which ruins the business for everyone.

Any reasoning behind this?

The way I see it, if you're in it for the money it's work, if not it's a hobby.

Both can be equally fun and rewarding. I don't know what you work at, but I'm sure if it's something you studied for you get some extent of enjoyment out of doing it. Does you getting paid to work devalue your career?

• Members

I too think the problem is a mis-understanding of the word "fun" in the context we band guys often use it. I would very much say I'm in it for the fun, but that by no means should be taken to imply that I only want to play uptempo, happy party tunes. I find it fun to lock in with the rest of the band and play a song well. It almost doesn't matter what the song is. I don't really care if its a song I'm fond of, or if its one of the standards that get dissed here regularly (Mustang Sally), doesn't matter. I get pleasure out of doing the best I can with the song. I'm a pretty easy guy to get along with in a band as I pretty much never say "I don't wanna do that one."

I think sometimes the "fun" thing comes into play when a band is giving it away for beer so to speak. They'll say "we're just in it for the fun and don't really care if we get paid." To some extent, I feel that way too. However, I'm not interested in being taken advantage of so if a band I'm in is playing a bar and that bar is making money from our playing, I expect a piece of that action.

• Members

Ah, I get it now.

I don't think music always has to be "fun" in the sense you just described; in fact I think we are short changing music if that is the only goal; your examples are spot on in that music has the ability to move you without necessarily being "fun".

I once heard a classical piece in a foreign language that almost moved me to tears; couldn't understand one word yet it still had an impact.

precisely what I was getting at :)

• Members

If playing music isn't fun then you're in it for money... Which ruins the business for everyone.

How can you ruin a 'business' by wanting to make money at it?

That word...I think it does not mean what you think it means....

• Members

Me either, usually. Depends on the situation; while I really enjoy playing with high caliber players I like to think I am not too holier than thou to hang with anyone who just wants to play. Of course I don't go out of my way for things like that, but I do have a few friends that just started playing and I have to admit that I do enjoy their fumbling around, in small doses.
:D

I hear 'ya. For me, it gets kind of irritating after a while. It's different if you're jamming with young kids who are just learning their instruments. Even though they're not very experienced, there is still a bit of technique and direction in what their playing, which makes jamming with them that much more rewarding, so much that I wouldn't mind the fumbling around and the occasional flubbed notes. While I'm certainly no Billy Payne or Chuck Leavell, I do have certain expectations of older, more experienced players to be able to at least play a groove, within key or tune their instruments, which should be the bare necessities.

• Moderators

I'm not in a "jam" or "party" band... :idk:

But anyhow one of my biggest heroes, Guy Chadwick (from the criminally overlooked House of Love) summed it up best for me:

(as close as I can remember)

"I've never found anything else that could be so un-enjoyable at times, that could also ultimately be so gratifying!"

• Members

I have played with some pretty good musicans that were not fun. I just quit a top tier re tool deal .. because it was a total pressure cooker. I fully understand the band is on its ass ,, both the drummer and the keyboard player left and they sang all the backups. You cant horsewhip guys into the image of the ones who left really fast. The leaders stress was huge, he was bringing ot to practice with him.. so much that it wasnt fun. I questioned my ability to live up to the expectations. It aint fun when you are doing that. I bowed out and said go find a guy that can deliver what you want. The hill was just too steep to not have the challenge be fun. I just dont need it that bad.

• Members

I think if you are in a band with no future and you are aware that it has no future you are "doing it for fun". For me, the band in which I play drums is basically that. I do it to become a better drummer and because I enjoy playing drums with other people. We'll probably never make a record and we'll never tour but we all have a great time doing it.

and I also hate jam bands.... but I hate jam bands less than I hate people who love jam bands. If one more person says "no man... you don't understand... they all play off of one another!" the kitten dies.

• Members

Perhaps when people say "as long as your having fun", what they really mean is "as long as you are getting something out of it emotionally".

That's just wordy. Playing a moving piece isn't "fun" in the "wheee!" kind of sense. But it can be rewarding in an emotional sense.

And FailedDrummer clearly missed several points when he said "If playing music isn't fun then you're in it for money... Which ruins the business for everyone."

Being in it for the money is HOW a business makes it. If you don't have your eye on the ball...

Furthermore, work does not have to suck. Granted, it does for most people. But not everybody has a job they don't like, doing a task they abhore.

I write code. I enjoy that.

• Members

I think if you are in a band with no future and you are aware that it has no future you are "doing it for fun". For me, the band in which I play drums is basically that. I do it to become a better drummer and because I enjoy playing drums with other people. We'll probably never make a record and we'll never tour but we all have a great time doing it.

and I also hate jam bands.... but I hate jam bands less than I hate people who love jam bands. If one more person says "no man... you don't understand... they all play off of one another!" the kitten dies.

I have done jam bands... they were good for chop building and fun ,, but I would never stay there. Thats what you do when you are looking for a band to play with. Some guys like it and make up the core of them... other guys come and go.

Archived