"Geezor Band" problem: Quit, re-tool, or re-group?

New Trail

• Members

Well, your a cover band that lkes the party. Tastes have changed, and the "extended break" is kind of a thing of th past. Newer songs are sort of concise. There are places for the ExSolos, but you might want to limit them. I don't think younger audiances today have the same "groove span". They get off on change, rather than lingering.

We play stuff that was popular before most of the auditors were born. Heck, from before I was born. We also cop tunes from different genres, and we keep an ear open for contemporary material that we can cover well. We do not cover songs on the basis of current popularity. So we have a small bag of often requested war-horses, some ever popular standards, a broad base of music we enjoy and play well, and a small bag of contemporary faves. So it's not about geezerhood. It may not be about music or your material. Keeping things fresh is a matter of diversity and presentation. From the way you present the question it sounds like you may be getting tired of it yourself. Time to reconnect with the reasons you started playing in the first place. Keep it challenging, keep it interesting, keep it entertaining for yourself.

• Members

I gotta know, was "Mustang Sally" or "Brown Eyed Girl" on the list? I'd put a crispy Benjamin on MS being one of them.

No, as a matter of fact they weren't:lol: But "Sweet Home Alabama" was and so was (to my utter shock and dismay; never having been a big Neil Diamond fan) "Sweet Caroline" !! :facepalm: In fact those were the two songs listed most frequently. "Play That Funky Music" was up there too.

• Members

We just went thru the same thing. :confused: The guitarist wanted to play the new non singing and non melodic solo crap of today and forgot that we just became a house band because we play classic rock that has great vocals and melodic solos. Problem was the guitarist got drunk went downtown and seen all the younger bands playing the new stuff, I finally went with him talk about out of place. :eek: Hell I was old enough to be a grand father. :facepalm:

• Members

I had my step-daughter poll her friends: What's your three favorite songs to dance to when you go out on a Friday or Saturday night. From a crowd of about 10 people that ranged in age from 23 to 30 she brought me back the results scribbled on napkins and little slips of paper. Of the top fifteen or so songs only two or three of them were written after 1985. No one was more surprised then me.

Hey pickinatit,

Care to share the list with us? :wave:

I can relate to the thread. My band members are 41 - 53, and it seems like we are kinda struggling to find a niche right now. Definitely thinking about playing to what the crowd wants to dance to more, so would be interested in hearing pickinatits list.

• Members

No, as a matter of fact they weren't:lol: But "Sweet Home Alabama" was and so was (to my utter shock and dismay; never having been a big Neil Diamond fan) "Sweet Caroline" !!
:facepalm:
In fact those were the two songs listed most frequently. "Play That Funky Music" was up there too.

we play all the songs mentioned. and the crowds love 'em. especially Sweet Caroline. All the young drunk college kids get to yell "{censored}-ing Slut" during the Bah, Bah, Bah part of the chorus...

good times. :thu:

• Members

c'mon pickinatit...lets see the list!!

Wow, it was a year or so ago. I mentioned "Sweet Home" "Sweet Caroline", "Play That Funky Music". Then there was "Gimme Three Steps",

"Walk This Way", "Already Gone" (inside joke probably fairly peculiar to my Daughter's crowd), Zeplin's "Rock & Roll" & Billy Joel's "Still Rock & Roll to Me" (a couple of them had "Old Time R&R" down, so I think that's a sort of theme for her crowd, you know the "we're rock & rollers" thing). For some reason four or five of them love "Day Tripper" & "Dream Weaver". I think at least four of them listed Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again". Big choice was "Sweet Child O'Mine" (not quite really qualified for the 25+ but getting pretty old now).

Remember, this was from a circle of friends that go out and party with one another regularly, so when something catches on with them, half the crowd will have it on their list. I recognize that my results were colored by that. In other words it wouldn't be accurate to conclude that because half of her crowd listed the Eagles' "Already Gone" that half the young folks in America would like to hear & dance to that song when they go out.

My point was mainly just my surprise that the music of choice for a bunch of "under 30's" would be 25+ year old rock music.

• Members

My point was mainly just my surprise that the music of choice for a bunch of "under 30's" would be 25+ year old rock music.

Actually this doesn't surprise me at all. Youngsters still listen to all that stuff. I came to this realization about 6 years ago when I went to pick up my daughter from her friend's 17 year old birthday party and they were all sitting around listening to the Beatles.

My brother says it's because music today sucks and I think that's partially it. Also it's not like when I was younger and my parent's music was Big Band Music of the 40s which was totally different. "Sweet Home Alabama" is not too totally far off from the kind of stuff Green Day and Maroon 5 and ColdPlay etc. do today. Plus it's what they listened to when they were kids with their parents so they still like it. My $0.02.

• Members

Yeah, probably, but mainly I like success. We have done quite well until recently so when I notice that changing I start looking for answers. Lack of new material just kills everyone's interest, the band AND the audience.

So what happened, did you guys go back to your regular format? Have you been successful?

Hey, I know THAT feeling!

Yes we decided to stick with the classic rock and classic metal of course we're gonna change a few of the old standards and replace them with something, just haven't figured out what :confused: just seems today's music esp. singers are mono tone and scream a lot. :facepalm:

Archived