Can your Band taste better?

Marko

• Members

Appearance is ALWAYS a part of a band's appeal. It simply depends on the nature of the gig. There are some markets (weddings, corporate gigs, etc) where glitzy uniformity is part of "the look".

You need to know your market - and do the right thing for that market.

If you find yourself associating with musicians who start signing the "I've got to be me" mantra when the topic of wardrobe comes up - seriously consider finding new musicians to hang out with. Guys who refuse to seriously consider making concessions to reconcile personal tastes and band wardrobe are best dealt with as former bandmates.

• Members

In pop music, looks are incredibly important. Look at Micheal Jackson. Moonwalk and iconic videos and costumes. Look at Prince. I'd say more than half of his appeal is visual. Multi-cultural band, crazy costumes, coordinated dance moves, etc etc.

Image is everything.

• Members

Wow... I expected more resistence.

Responses much appreciated.
:)

and I got grilled when I made a post of my ex-guitar player/singer wearing a My Chemical Romance shirt on stage in my metal band.

When it comes to image, I'm pretty liberal save for a major faux pas as the one mentioned.

• Members

I'm in total agreement with you Marko.

I sometimes do lights and people notice the lights and compliment you more than if you're doing sound. They see the lights as an art and the sound as just making things louder. You only get noticed with the sound if it's bad.

Lights are IMO the most neglected tool and can double the appeal of your band if done well.

But also, choreography (not always pussycat dolls style) is essential. All the members of the band have to act as a group, not necessarily dance moves but they have to be unified

• Members

My old band wore suits (like Anti-Flag) when we were supposed to play. My new band will probably be jeans and shirts. The punk scene really doesn't care too much.

Are you talking about proper original 70's punk or the more recent skater punk?

If the former, image is IMO more important than music, the long spiky hair, leather, spitting, smelling and piercings are quite a big part of the image and basically made punk what it is.

Just the same as the skimpy clothes and slutty dancing made the pussycat dolls

Skater punk, which IMO isn't really punk, has the whole baggy shorts/jeans and t-shirts as its image along with the whole cynical not caring look

• Members

Man, I agree thoroughly. Appropriate dress is important to the way band is percieved, and a lot of musicians don't have a concept thatthey are putting on a show. However, with some of the younger guys I work with, I feel lucky if they show up wearing anything at all.

• Members

Here's what I think of your fancy vests:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gert_Jonnys

Gert Jonnys was a 1. Swedish dansband during the 1970s and 1980s. Its leader, Gert Jonny Hansson left the band in 1982, and since 1988, the three remaining members and one additional member, are known as Freddy's, led by Freddy Pedersen and Chris Bittner. They still perform occasionally in the southern parts of Sweden, in Denmark and on the Canary Islands, although the members also have day jobs.

The band was relatively unknown until a number of old promotional pictures were posted on the Internet and gained instant cult status. These pictures, along with pictures of other Swedish dance orchestras, have been posted on websites from Sweden, Norway, The United States, Portugal, Germany, the United Kingdom, and various other countries.

Just sayin... :)

• Members

What do you think?

If you have the same outfit like the crowd you're trying to entertain you're doing something wrong. You'll not stand out.

Corp. Identity is a no-brainer.

Its work... thats why not everyone is doing it.

Archived