Video from the weekend

• Members

It used to be that everyone would post pics on Monday's from the weekend gigs. Now it seems everyone posts video. We had some outdoor this weekend and the rain held off (for the most part). So I cliped together some stuff of the last two shows. Video and audio isn't great. It was taken on a digital camera.

We churn out new songs like fresh salami. So we try to strike a balance between the rock songs that everyone loves and dance songs no bands would ever think of covering. It's tough trying to stay current with the radio and sometimes the more pop-oriented songs works well and other times they bomb miserably. We just added some Duran Duran, Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga this past weekend and it hasn't made it past the 'sniff test' yet. It's usually takes 3 weekends to know whether or not they are keepers or not.

I know people are always asking 'what songs work in your neighbood'? I'm just showing what works in ours.

Video from this past weekend...

• Members

AHHHHH!!!!!!!

take "hot and cold" and "Poker face" down a step-and-a-half. Your singer and the crowd will thank you.

Everything looked bad ass and the crowd was loving you, though.

Yeah we tried "Poker Face" in F instead of G# and it just sounded flat. We'll probably dump that tune anyway. I really thought people would go nuts for it. The reaction was still good, but not the blowout we were expecting. Bryan has a high register, but some of those songs he's really stretching... then combine that with jogging in place for 60 minutes a set. He's a little hoarse after the show.

• Members

Yeah we tried "Poker Face" in F instead of G# and it just sounded flat. We'll probably dump that tune anyway. I really thought people would go nuts for it. The reaction was still good, but not the blowout we were expecting. Bryan has a high register, but some of those songs he's really stretching... then combine that with jogging in place for 60 minutes a set. He's a little hoarse after the show.

Hmm, I would have thought Poker Face would go over well. It seems to be one of the big hits of the year, and the chorus is one of the most infectious I've heard recently. Are you going to do it a few more times and see how it goes over time? I was thinking my band should add this because I saw a few live Ga Ga vids where she really rocked it up and the crowd went wild. Could be because it was her, tho ;)

Love seeing your singer do Katy Perry and other girls songs. Awesome.

• Members

Well... Hot and Cold would sound better if he could choose to go falsetto or at the top of his range instead of toggling between the two. I think a full step might fix it. The song is huge and chicks LOVE it.

Poker Face - Don't dump it. Change the way you play it. THE engine for the song is that techno beat on the 1-2-3-4. No ride and no high hat. There is ONE crash hit at the beginning of the chorus but that's it. Also, the guitars in the chorus are drowning out the engine. This song is a massive massive win and you guys totally have the chops to pull it off.

I'll tell you the secret to transposing songs and it isn't what you think: transposing a song has nothing to do with the key it is out of or the notes you are playing. It has to do with the relative tonality of your voice. For example: If someone is covering "Sweet Child O Mine" out of B instead of D it is 1 1/2 steps lower. HOWEVER - If he is doing it at the peak of his vocal range it "sounds right". Likewise with "Don't Stop Believin'" out of C instead of D. That's TWO full steps lower but since I do it at the very top of my vocal range and Steve Perry is at the very top of his vocal range it "sounds right". I have done both of these songs 20-30 times each and NO ONE has ever said they didn't sound right. In fact, people always single out these songs as being great.

So: if you are doing poker face figure out where his vocal peak is and have "can't read my, can't read my, no she/he can't..." at that pitch. During the song that is where Lady Gaga strains her voice a little bit so if the singer is straining it will actually "sound" right. You guys are REALLY good. I know you can pull it off if you mess with it.

• Members

...Lady Gaga...

This is why I could never be in a cover band. Not to knock you guys, you're making way more money than I am, that's for sure, but I know it has to pain you to play such vapid nonsense amongst other, better songs.

• Members
This is why I could never be in a cover band. Not to knock you guys, you're making way more money than I am, that's for sure, but I know it has to pain you to play such vapid nonsense amongst other, better songs.

holy glass house, batman.... you've got 81 fans total. They had 181 screaming fans at that show... open your mind a little.

• Members

It doesn't pain me at all... ;) of course we play songs I would never listen to or play in my own personal time, but we play to large enthusiastic crowds all of the time and get well paid for it. It is a second job for all of us... and of course I do it 99% for the money... and 1% for the opportunity to play in front of large enthusiatic crowds. We've all had our day chasing record contracts. Now we have all mortgages, and (some) even kids. Like it or not.. unless you arrive at a point where you can support yourself playing your own music you'll eventually be forced to play songs others have written for pay. It's no different than any backing or touring musician. So I look back at the gigs I've done over 10-15 years and well... it's probably the best money I've ever made. :cool:

• Members

It doesn't pain me at all...
;)
of course we play songs I would never listen to or play in my own personal time, but we play to large enthusiastic crowds all of the time and get well paid for it. It is a second job for all of us... and of course I do it 99% for the money... and 1% for the opportunity to play in front of large enthusiatic crowds. We've all had our day chasing record contracts. Now we have all mortgages, and (some) even kids. Like it or not.. unless you arrive at a point where you can support yourself playing your own music you'll eventually be forced to play songs others have written for pay. It's no different than any backing or touring musician. So I look back at the gigs I've done over 10-15 years and well... it's probably the best money I've ever made.
:cool:

AMEN to that!!!! I will say again I am a musician at home drumming along to Nevermore, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden and so on...

At a club I am a paid entertainer and I will play Poker face, Let it rock & Ice Ice Baby all night if that's what they want!

Ice Ice Baby we did impromtu on saturday night and the people when BONKERS!

So not to derail this thread: we are about to cover poker face like the band 5 years and counting (with no harsh screaming)... here's a link to their version.

Sorry it won't let me embed but check it out this is the route we are going to take with it. (only doing the 1st 2 verses & choruses)

• Members

AMEN to that!!!! I will say again I am a musician at home drumming along to Nevermore, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden and so on...

At a club I am a paid entertainer and I will play Poker face, Let it rock & Ice Ice Baby all night if that's what they want!

So not to derail this thread: we are about to cover poker face like the band 5 years and counting (with no harsh screaming)... here's a link to their version.

Sorry it won't let me embed but check it out this is the route we are going to take with it. (only doing the 1st 2 verses & choruses)

Interesting....not a big fan of the higher bit in the "chorus" just before "poker face" lyric. But other than that - i could listen to that.

Post a vid when you guys learn it and play it live - be interesting to watch!

• Members

I can't watch the video on my phone, but I can say that we do a little Lady Gaga medley of her few hits and so far it's gone over awesome. We're doing it in F#. We do a lot of songs like that interpsersed with rock tunes and when done right (read: tongue in cheek) the crowd eats it up. It's all in the presentation.

And to add on another point, it doesn't pain me either. I wouldn't listen to these songs on the radio, but when you have a few hundred people going nuts for it, it makes it tons of fun to play. Especially when you can add your specific flavor to it.

• Members

Interesting....not a big fan of the higher bit in the "chorus" just before "poker face" lyric. But other than that - i could listen to that.

Post a vid when you guys learn it and play it live - be interesting to watch!

Musically we are going to cover it generally like 5 years and counting but vocally we'll most likely not do the screaming. When we play it live I'll see about getting a video up.

• Members

Speaking of Gaga covers, check out these kids' cover of Just Dance. They're from my area:

http://www.myspace.com/surrenderthedancefloor

• Members

just found out someone posted some video of us on youtube from our show this weekend... I almost posted it here but thank God I watched it first!

whoa is the audio distorted. I won't even post it. I was pretty proud of the songs & crowd reaction on saturday but... godda get some decent video.

• Members

The sound on the video from the last show is horrible. It was too loud and its peaked the whole time. I'll tell you how to play it in our incredibly easy way:

Verses and the "don't stop believin' chorus are C, G, Am, F. The pre-chorus is F, C ending on a G which is held. If the lead guitarist hit's his lead parts no one will know you moved the song around.

Pause!

I have to share that I HATE when people oversimplify this, because it doesn't sound right with the melody, especially in the end chorus.

Don't Stop Believin' verse/chorus chords in E (there is one time when the first part repeats twice before changing, and that's right before the line "Working hard, to get my fill..."):

E - B - C#m(7 if you're feeling sassy) - A then E - B - G#m - A

Chords for the pre-chorus/bridges:

A - E - A - E - A - E - A (If I counted right)

Then the "power" turnaround ("In the niiiiiiiiiiight") (B - E - B - E - A)

In C, that would be:

C - G - Am - F then C - G - Em - F

and

F - C - F - C - F - C - F

turnaround: (G - C - G - C - F)

And now back to your regularly-scheduled otherwise good advice from Austincowbell... :)

I'm such an anal-retentive asshole sometimes... :facepalm:

Brian V.

• Members

Pause!

I have to share that I HATE when people oversimplify this, because it doesn't sound right with the melody, especially in the end chorus.

Don't Stop Believin' verse/chorus chords in E (there is one time when the first part repeats twice before changing, and that's right before the line "Working hard, to get my fill..."):

E - B - C#m(7 if you're feeling sassy) - A then E - B - G#m - A

Chords for the pre-chorus/bridges:

A - E - A - E - A - E - A (If I counted right)

Then the "power" turnaround ("In the niiiiiiiiiiight") (B - E - B - E - A)

In C, that would be:

C - G - Am - F then C - G - Em - F

and

F - C - F - C - F - C - F

turnaround: (G - C - G - C - F)

And now back to your regularly-scheduled otherwise good advice from Austincowbell...
:)

I'm such an anal-retentive asshole sometimes...
:facepalm:
Brian V.

LOOK!! I did NOT spend almost 54 seconds learning that song to be told how to play it!!!

hehehehe

Seriously, though, no one has EVER said anything. We'll throw the Em in the second part if the verse, thanks. And we skip the turnaround because we go right into Mr. Brightside by the killers.

Archived