When is the appropriate time to tell your current band that you're forming a new band

New Trail

• Members

Two of us from one band are starting a new band with the hope of more versatility, ability to book gigs, blah, blah blah, and it doesn't NECESSARILY mean that the old band is over, although in reality it probably is. The drummer already has a new project going, which we all knew about, and the bass player does fill in gigs, too. Not to make too big a fuss about it, but I feel like at some point we should tell the others that we're into this new project. We've had three actual rehearsals so far. When is the appropriate time to relay the news?

• Members

Two of us from one band are starting a new band with the hope of more versatility, ability to book gigs, blah, blah blah, and it doesn't NECESSARILY mean that the old band is over, although in reality it probably is. The drummer already has a new project going, which we all knew about, and the bass player does fill in gigs, too. Not to make too big a fuss about it, but I feel like at some point we should tell the others that we're into this new project. We've had three actual rehearsals so far. When is the appropriate time to relay the news?

Which band is probably over? The one with the singer who is starting to play guitar? The one with that singer who has started a side project?

This is all very confusing split over multiple threads.

Rebel

• Members

Which band is probably over? The one with the singer who is starting to play guitar? The one with that singer who has started a side project?

This is all very confusing split over multiple threads.

Rebel

No, it's a different band...sorry for the confusion.

• Members

While I'm all for honesty with my bandmates - it serves no purpose to mention other projects until such time that the other project has reached a point that YOU know it's going to be a ongoing project that will affect your availability.

My longstanding act typically requires a 4-5 night per month commitment (gigs and rehearsals combined). As long as band members are fulfilling that commitment - none of us have issues with what each other does with their free time. I don't hide nor do I flaunt the fact that I fill a few of the other 25 nights each month by playing music with other people.

I wouldn't mention one-time sub gigs or exploratory practices with potential projcts until it's clear that they're going to be a factor that may impact your current act.

• Members

I think here we have a couple of good reasons to disclose

-Other members are open about heir other projects

-The new project includes members of the current organization

-The OP mentioned it could have impact it doesn't NECESSARILY mean that the old band is over, although in reality it probably is

• Members

........what you do on your own time is only your affair. Or are you trying to send someone a message?

Not really, but I'm sure a message will be sent anyway. Our bass player vetoed adding a new lead singer, male or female, for various reasons that you might read about in my other threads, and he's the only one who doesn't already have some project in the works, even though he's doing some fill-in work. His problems are that he overplays on bass, to the point that the soloists end up changing what they're doing, or even sometimes actually stopping soloing, and that he wants to be the frontman to a band that doesn't need one. In talking to other people who know him or have worked with him, I think those two problems have been with him for some time, too. He's actually a very good bass player and if he would settle down and not overplay, do his part, not try to take over the band, and not try to sing lead on everything, he would be an asset.

• Members

Sounds to me like you don't need to quit anything. You've already been quit on.

I'm not quite sure what your point, but basically I'm the one who's done with this band. Now, if they book something else I won't turn it down, cause I like to play, but I've moved on. The other guitarist and I have a new project already, and I'm in three other bands, too, and the drummer in is also in three other bands. The bass player is the only one who AFAIK does not have an actual new project going, although he IS doing some subbing.

• Members

I'm not quite sure what your point

As I read it (esp from the quotes he used to help illustrate) - I believe Preacher's point was that the operation had already lost cohesion and wasn't viable anyway -- that there wasn't really anything left TO quit - like you said

. . . things have been winding down and are basically over

it was already basically over

eh, just my read on his point - but I feel decently confident in that read

Archived