Who were the world changing musical acts?

New Trail

• Members

I'm also not really sure than MJ or Madonna really changed music. They were popular and sold well but I really haven't seen anything you can say, that happened because of MJ or Madonna.

I'd have to disagree about MJ. He broke the color barrier on MTV, which allowed the hip-hop/rap scene to flourish. Flash forward to today, rarely do you see a rock song reach the Top 5. Also, anyone know any recent pop acts to actually play instruments? The lip sync / dance performance was popularized by MJ and Madonna. MJ's 1st huge solo performance, which put him on the map as a solo artist, performing Billie Jean at the Motown Anniversary concert was lip sync'd.

• Members

I'd have to disagree about MJ. He broke the color barrier on MTV, which allowed the hip-hop/rap scene to flourish. Flash forward to today, rarely do you see a rock song reach the Top 5. Also, anyone know any recent pop acts to actually play instruments? The lip sync / dance performance was popularized by MJ and Madonna. MJ's 1st huge solo performance, which put him on the map as a solo artist, performing Billie Jean at the Motown Anniversary concert was lip sync'd.

"Broke the color barrier on MTV"? It's not like we're talking about Jackie Robinson or Willie O'Ree (NHL) here. And his music was completely unrelated to the early rap stuff that exploded on MTV.

James Brown or Ike and Tina were doing the dance thing long before MJ or Madonna. That's more of an evolution than anything singularly unique. In terms of the lip synch and style over substance, I'll grant you that.

• Members

Since my original post went the way of the Dodo...

Benny Goodman Orchestra (1938 Carnegie Hall concert) - from Charleston/Two-step to Swing

Django Reinhardt - brought guitar from Classical to Hot Jazz

Bill Haley - from Western Swing to Rock & Roll

Dick Dale - for Surf

The Beatles - for studio innovation

Jackie Wilson - for raw energy

Everyone who performed on the original 'Will the Circle Be Unbroken' albums.

Archived