It's time for the dreaded auto-tune thread!

Kramerguy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ahh yes, the magic pantry....don't use and I don't like it and yes you can tell when it's used...my voice is supposed to sound like it does...it's rock and roll...Take that auto tuner and chuck it into the lake...(OK, maybe you can use it to fix a NOTE in a song (when recording), one note!! but anymore and you might as well re-sing it...or learn how to sing!!) I won't even listen to arguments about using it onstage....

• Members

I often intentionally bend notes when I'm singing, to add emotion and get a bit of a blues effect. Autotune would be detrimental to what I'm trying to convey. I did try using it for recording, but felt the autotuned version was less desirable than my "natural" version (I did use a little reverb and EQ). I just haven't found a situation where I sound better using autotune.

I personally think autotune is why country music sounds like crap these days. Everything is too sterile, with no emotion. I can't imagine Willie Nelson or Johnny Cash using autotune. It would have ruined their vocals.

• Members

I think like anything it has its place but as a one size catch all/ fix all I don't think it works. Its not for me, and I agree that it ruins a lot of otherwise good music, John Mayer is a great example, His studio CD's seem so contrived and slick. I don't mind the trio album though, I wonder if he uses it live or if it was on that album.

I think though sometimes it gets by and we probably don't notice on a good vocal cut, but the cut was probably already 99% there and rather than calling someone back in the studio, used it to correct a phrase or passage.

That being said, even vocalists that seem to get it right night after night do still mess up, no one is perfect, there are going to be slight imperfections, but I think it adds to the music not detracts. I too like the human experience.

Admittedly though, J-Lo really should have had on SNL last night though. Some people need all the help they can get, I just don't think you should really be able to make it to that level if you need that much help....ala Taylor Swift/J-Lo/Ashlee Simpson/Etc Etc.

• Members

I've never claimed to have the prettiest voice, but I do work really hard to get parts and sing on key. There will be the odd note that is not 100% perfect, but I think that makes it human. Gives it life. FOr a live setting, i think a lot more needs to be live... Triggering generic kick drum sounds instead of focusing on a well-tuned kick drum drives me nuts. Real people hit wrong notes, it's how you know they are really playing the material live.

I've had a note mildly corrected on a recording, but it wasn't a patch that was turned on for the whole song, just punched in when needed... That is OK to me, but the moment my voice comes through like a Disney recording artist I'll be done working with that producer.

Archived