Just curious what you think about this....

sickman

• Members
Please. Age and size have nothing to do with it. I've seen my share of clueless hip looking 20 something assclowns in bands who hadn't the slightest idea of what they were doing.

sorry...you must not post on this forum much, and may not have noticed the repetitive theme of sickman's posts :p

Not so much a referendum on old fatties as a comment on his consistent bashing of his band situation...if they were "hip looking 20 something assclowns" I'd have called them out too...

I think you've been saving that one up and was just waiting for an "old guy" post to use it :cop:

• Members
sorry...you must not post on this forum much, and may not have noticed the repetitive theme of sickman's posts
:p

Not so much a referendum on old fatties as a comment on his consistent bashing of his band situation...if they were "hip looking 20 something assclowns" I'd have called them out too...

I think you've been saving that one up and was just waiting for an "old guy" post to use it
:cop:

dammit, I missed the fat old jerks comment completely and I even agreed with you ROFLMAO.

BTW, I AM a fat old jerk lol

• Members

sorry...you must not post on this forum much, and may not have noticed the repetitive theme of sickman's posts
:p

I think you've been saving that one up and was just waiting for an "old guy" post to use it
:cop:

Um...if you don't think I post here much....you must not post here much!;)

:wave:

But I get what you're saying. :cool:

• Members

dammit, I missed the fat old jerks comment completely and I even agreed with you ROFLMAO.

BTW, I AM a fat old jerk lol

yeah, no stone throwing from this glass house...just commenting on the post tones

and my "Saved By The Bell" reference - swing and a miss!

• Members

You now know the ground rules. This means that you can be in other bands as well. And when you have a conflict you take the higher paying gig.

+1 But I don't see anything wrong with what the guy is doing-he is being upfront about it. He wants to work and he's the one out there selling the act. If he can't make the sale at 500.00 but only at 300, he tells them they only get two -three guys. If his duo is good, when they want more noise they hire HIM with more guys. I turned a solo gig into a trio gig, then a quartet. None of the more than 1000 gigs that that lineup did would have happened if I didn't take the solo gig. While it can suck to sit home while the duo is working, it could payoff for you even while your sitting at home, which, IMO, you shouldn't be. You should take Lee's advice and get something else going too if you want to play more. Who knows, it might turn out better than your current situation.

• Members

It would be ok if the price was only 20-25% less than the full band because that is a way of making people think, "hey, I might as well get the full band for only a little bit more." That is savvy selling and sticking to your guns. If he is pretty much cutting the price by more than that, then he is looking out for himself. The other thing that would be fair, is if everyone rotated to make up the duo.

• Members

Dude...sickman...you need to find a group of musicians that are your own age, play music you like, and are up front with you.

Every time I see that picture of Screech I know its about fat old jerks that don't have a clue how to run a band, or pick good songs, and that they're not always honest about stuff. I know you want to play and all, and I've put up with my share of {censored} in the past just for the fun of playing, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. There's a point at which aggravation outweighs fun, ya know?

LOL... I do like the music, but I wouldn't mind playing some other stuff that either isn't blues or was created outside of 1968-1975. I think in my posts I come off more aggravated than I actually am. Some other guy posted a response in one of the other threads that made a lot of sense. I now look at myself as more of a hired gun, i.e. I show up to play and do not offer any input and pretty much just agree with the band leader.

I agree I should look for something else. But, this really isn't much trouble considering we only play 1-3 times a month and never practice.

• Members

This is the post that I think sums it up:

Here's a related concept that you may run up against:

In any band, there is (almost) always one person who has the artistic vision for the band. Even in a classic rock cover band, there is somebody (your bandleader) who decides the overall feel of the band and what it is going to play. I think it is almost impossible to get this person to go in a direction other than where he or she wants to go, and if that person won't lead, it's very difficult if not impossible for somebody else to provide leadership. Often the person with a creative vision for a project will make some compromises in the interest of getting other people to help realize that vision, but there are always limits to how far that will go.

And often, the other people in bands don't recognize this dynamic---there is an "all for one and one for all" myth that seems to apply in many bands, and lots of musicians, especially those who don't have strong artistic visions of their own, confuse coming up with their own parts in arrangements, for instance, with having a say in the band, or consider that their own artistic outlet.

But when push comes to shove, the prime artistic vision will prevail. Unless you are exceptionally lucky and meet someone with a similar or complementary artistic vision and you can really partner up (and this almost never happens), in a band, the players play one of two roles: either they provide the artistic vision and direction, or they are helping someone else realize his or her vision. Nothing wrong with the latter course; it can be very satisfying and fun and maybe profitable---it just helps to realize exactly what is going on.

I say all this because it sounds like you have an artistic vision yourself---even if it's just an idea for some changes to how your current cover band does things, that counts. I'm sure the current band leader doesn't want to antagonize you, but you may want to be mentally prepared for the possibility that changes to accommodate what you want to do may not be as forthcoming as you might prefer. If that happens, keep these distinctions in mind and don't blame your current band---it was put together to realize the current leader's vision and that simply may not encompass everything you want to do. And the other band members who are working to help him realize his vision may not be as interested in working to help you realize yours, especially if that means putting more unpaid time into practice. If it looks like that's the way things are shaking out, you will save yourself time and heartache if you recognize it early, and if it's really important to you, you may need a side project to accomplish what YOU want to do.

Of course, maybe everything will work out fine within the context of your current band. But in case it doesn't . . . some stuff to think about.

Good luck, either way.

• Members

This is the post that I think sums it up:

True... the flexable format is not a bad model. make the show fit the budget....... take a solo singer songwriter.

they can have a whole bunch of guys they work with. They might do local shows solo,, have a local band that they use for a trio , and expand into a full band. They can also have a studio band they do the CDs with, and really big important shows, and need to to in with the big guns..., and even a totally different road band,, or go into a town and work with a bunch of full pro pick up guys that they have never met but can do this kind of deal.

As musicans ,,we have to be able to be comfortable to play on the level that we can play ,, espeically when you are working with guys who have it really going on. Keeping it all in perspective is key. Third chair for a really good guy is better than first chair for your aveage bar band...after you remove your ego from the situation. From a personal point of view , the better guys you get to play with ,, the better you get. take things as they come ,, and work on upping your game.

Archived