so do people tell you that you are a amazing singer but you just don't hear it?

cavemanic

• Members

I believe it takes some people quite a while to get used to the sound of their own voice. After years of work (and constant recording and listening back), I think I'm almost over the repulsion I used to feel every time I listened back to a recording of my singing.

Now, that said, nobody ever much compliments me on my voice--but the band keeps showing up for rehearsals and gigs, and the people applaud (mostly), so I guess things aren't so bad!

Still, I envy the following:

1. People who naturally appreciate the sound of their own voice

2. People who get regular compliments

• Members

Nice question.

My first thought was when I was 8 or 9 and recorded my voice with my little portable tape recorder (like we all did at one time) how horribly whinny and girly my voice sounded to me. I hated it. However I continued to emulate my favorites like Johnny Mathis (yes even at 9 years old) all the time.

I never sang openly in public until my 30's!

Now mind you I'm 6'2", 275lb and look like a football player way more than any "typical" singer. And I constantly get people telling me "I had no idea you had that voice", or "wow I guess we just didn't think someone your size could sing like that?"

I've learned to "handle" my voice in terms of style. I can pull off Steve Perry (Journey) doing Faithfully note for note, yet I really struggle and fight with my band mates who want to do AC/DC.

So do people tell me I have an amazing voice (yes) and I just don't hear it? (no) - But I'm not always happy with my voice. I guess it's like the curly-haired brunette who always wanted to be a straight-haired blonde...and vice versa. We always want something else.

Oh and if you're getting complements from "girls" is this just you in a one on one singing demonstration or do you sing publicly and have people who don't know you come up out of the blue on a regular basis and tell you that you have a nice voice? 'Cuz that's when it really feels good.

• Members

i get it alot too,my wife and my little girl are mt biggest fans of course...sometimes i think i sound alright,but i don't think i'm great by any means.the first time i heard myself miced i wanted to crawl in the corner and die,same way with the first recording...but then again,i've never heard a quality recording,and i've only heard myself miced through my peavey ecoustic 112,and at karaoke...

Damon

• Members

If you are a singer and you want to be a singer, best you start liking your voice. Or... If you are a singer and really aren't good. Your friends are probably being nice. anyways, get some confidence. You will not go anywere unless you have it. I don't care what anyone says you have to have some type of arrogance about you if you want to be a performer. Not to much but a little. If you get on stage and you are not sure of yourself the audience see's it. They might not tell you but you better believe your emotion and feelings will come through in your stage presence. record yourself that might help.

• Members

I have to admit...I love this response!

I really love it!
:cool:

Well, think about it - you have to be confident in your own voice. I don't mean cocky - there is a difference. I do have a great voice - but I've worked for it.... the tone... eh, that was sort of just luck that I had a good clean tone to start with, the range though - sheesh.... there have been some times that I wanted to give it up, but the hard work paid off.

When I first started using Jaime Vendera's techniques I could not hit above a C4 (I damaged my vocal chords belting it out in what I thought was an Ian Astbury/Cult/Danzig style.) last night, just playing around I hit a C6 in full voice without warming up, and I slid it upward to the D6... which actually was kind of a dangerous thing to do... it really wasn't that smart because I hadn't warmed up. I just went for it. This morning, I woke up and still had my voice - thank heavens!

So I decided that from here on out, I'm not going to attempt any more of that without warming up. I did it first without thinking about it, and then I was like, "Oh crap - I shouldn't have tried that without warming up first!"

I'm notorious for throwing my voice out in the late Fall and Winter, but it always happened because I was a smoker and had all sorts of upper respiratory issues from smoking. Hopefully, I've been able to strengthen my vocal tract enough to withstand my stupidity about doing things like this every once in a while. :p

But like I said, be confident and love your voice - after all, everyone else will be critical of it - but it's all you!

• Members

If you are a singer and you want to be a singer, best you start liking your voice. Or... If you are a singer and really aren't good. Your friends are probably being nice. anyways, get some confidence. You will not go anywere unless you have it. I don't care what anyone says you have to have some type of arrogance about you if you want to be a performer. Not to much but a little. If you get on stage and you are not sure of yourself the audience see's it. They might not tell you but you better believe your emotion and feelings will come through in your stage presence. record yourself that might help.

Bingo!! You just nailed it. To be a singer is such an emotional release - if you don't let it out, the people will know you're faking it, so you have to reach deep down inside and let those emotions out, and that makes you vulnerable to all sorts of things - which is where being a little arrogant comes in handy. LOL You have to know you are good, and have no doubts about it.

• Members

This thread has come to a good place, I think. Confidence (bolstered by the slightest bit of arrogance) is perhaps the single most important thing in successful singing. Technique, for all of its genuine virtues, is secondary for many kinds of music (opera, musical theater, jazz, perhaps, excepted). Yet people focus on it because it's so tangible; it provides a blueprint for success. Except that it doesn't. It provides a blueprint for competence, nothing more.

This is because singing is fundamentally a head game--you have to feel good about yourself as you practice and perform; but given the psychological stresses we all feel on a daily basis, this kind of joyous confidence is often difficult to call up when it's needed. The muse comes when she feels like it, not necessarily when you need her to come. Mojo (my preferred word) sometimes shows up when I need it, but sometimes it's just nowhere to be found. And mojo is unimpressed by great technique (though having some technique makes me feel a bit better when I have to perform without mojo!)

Some ways to keep the mojo working:

1. Get cool clothes, sunglasses, flashy gear, etc.

2. Even while practicing, don't focus solely on technique; try to cultivate at the same time a flow, a vibe, a manner of coolness you can then become familiar with; wear sunglasses when you sing scales; insist on candles when you record; wear a porkpie hat.

3. Pursue mojo: When it disappears, don't sit home and wait for it to call; go where it lives--blues clubs, cool clothing stores, writer's cafe's, music stores, poetry readings, Greenwich Village etc

4. Respect and trust mojo. It will return; if you had it once, it will come again! Just be out in the world and ready to find it.

5. From today on, always think of yourself as an ARTIST. You deserve nothing less. :cool:

You put all this together and you have a reasonable foundation for the benign arrogance that supports confidence.

One word of warning: Whatever you do, do NOT watch reruns of Seinfeld; if you ever encounter the episode about Elaine's dancing, you're cooked.:eek: This episode is toxic to artistic confidence.

• Members

Oh and if you're getting complements from "girls" is this just you in a one on one singing demonstration or do you sing publicly and have people who don't know you come up out of the blue on a regular basis and tell you that you have a nice voice? 'Cuz that's when it really feels good.

with rock bands not so much its more for guitar there, but def solo or acoustic alot more and the girls swoon like crazy :eek:

• Members

Some days I feel very accomplished, hear some beauty and maturity in my voice, and it comes easily.

Other days it seems to be a struggle to sing. and I can't hear anything good.

I pretend to be confident when I don't feel as good about it, and I am pretty good at doing that. After 21+ years of steady gigging, my worst day now is better than my best day when I started out, so there's that. And I have continued to be employed all of this time.

However, I am convinced that when it comes to judging the quality of what I am putting out - I am really quite insane. I really have no idea if I am better than I think I am on those days that I think I am stinking, or if I am not as good as I think I am on those days it seems to flow out and be golden!

Who cares, I guess. People seem to like it, either way ...

• Members

Some days I feel very accomplished, hear some beauty and maturity in my voice, and it comes easily.

Other days it seems to be a struggle to sing. and I can't hear anything good.

I pretend to be confident when I don't feel as good about it, and I am pretty good at doing that. After 21+ years of steady gigging, my worst day now is better than my best day when I started out, so there's that. And I have continued to be employed all of this time.

However, I am convinced that when it comes to judging the quality of what I am putting out - I am really quite insane. I really have no idea if I am better than I think I am on those days that I think I am stinking, or if I am not as good as I think I am on those days it seems to flow out and be golden!

Who cares, I guess. People seem to like it, either way ...

I can certainly understand where you are coming from. While I have neither your professional credentials, nor your length of experience, I too have faced the same problem. I sing at church. I usually sing lead. I've sung the wrong thing a few times and messed everyone else up. When I hear my voice dry through the monitors I think " What the heck am I doin' up here?" Then, sometimes, I'll catch myself in other songs coming through the FOH speakers and I think..."hey you're not half bad." It's usually right about there that I screw up though.

-- Aik

• Members

No one has ever said that I have an amazing voice, but I have got some compliments on my voice....definitely not "amazing" though. But yeah, I always felt that my voice sucked big time....I think I am learning to get used to my voice, however, I don't know if I will ever like my voice.

• Members

I've been told I have an amazing voice..even by a singing teacher when I attended a group lesson. I only went twice because I hated the sound of my own voice so much and had to sing solo in front of a group with no guitar to hide behind!

I've recorded myself loads, even bought some equipment to help record it better, but still I think my voice sounds rubbish. I usually only play my guitar and sing when no one is around (my cat's my biggest fan).

I did make myself play a song to my wife on my wedding day at the reception.. It took a lot of champgne to get me up there... and when I heard the recording someone had done on their phone... I'm cringing now.. but people said it was excellent :(

• 1 month later...

Archived