• Members

I'm adding Blue Sky (The Allman Brother band) to my set list. The first thing I want to do is lock in the tone for the solo. I haven't played it about 20 years so I don't really care if anyone thinks the playing is sloppy or the phrasing is off - all I'm really looking for is feedback on the tone, specifically if you think there's too much distortion.

As per usual, I'll be playing through my PodXT Live straight into a PA. I'll be using my Delta DLE Gold with a DiMarzio Fred in the bridge and a DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck. The bridge tone knob is set at 3 and the neck at 10 with the PU selector set to use both.

In order to get the most accurate representation of the tone, I recorded dry via a tube preamp with no drive and applied my tone via PodFarm.

Personally, I think I have just a touch too much distortion. I'm using the Brit J-800 model with the drive set at 57%. I tried 37%-47% (for some mentally unbalanced reason I almost always use odd numbers for my settings!) and I liked the tone better but I couldn't get it to sing and hammer-ons and pull-offs didn't articulate very well.

Here is a link to the first third or so of the solo that contains almost every high and low note that would be utilized:

http://www.tachyonburst.com/music/mp3/demos/tonetest.mp3

• Members

Just my amateur opinion, but I'd prefer something warmer on a recording. Might be good for live use, though.

My POD settings for live use are totally different than what I'd ever put on a recording. I have to have a lot more mids and a little more high-end on stage.

• Members

Second one was a better setting,,, you also did a better job of playing it with less over bends. the original lead is a tough act to follow. So much of tone is technique, its really hard to just isolate electronic tone.

• Members

Keep in Mind, there's not a lot of gain on the original recorded version's tracks, plus you need to just pull the mids or lows back a hair. Needs more clarity and less "woomph" (if u can understand what I mean by that).

Otherwise, its pretty damn close and good job on the playing.:thu:

• Members

Allow me to preface my comments with I'm completely unfamiliar with this song (truthfully, I can't name an Allman Brothers song)

Being blunt, I hate the tone in the first one (to buzzy) but the second is much better. My main thing, even with the second one, is that I'd add a bit of reverb. I just find that when you go direct, the notes end so abruptly. When micing an amp, there's that room echo that give it just a little fade which is more pleasing to my ear. Live this may be a non issue of course.

• Members

My main thing, even with the second one, is that I'd add a bit of reverb. I just find that when you go direct, the notes end so abruptly.

There is reverb - even more than I normally use. Standard spring model mixed at 31%. You definitely hear it when the backing track isn't on. The notes might sound as if they're being cut off because I have a noise gate turned on.

Archived