My nephew's band

wades_keys

• Members

Just thought I'd give a little contrast to the other original band that posted here.

Ozzn5CVCImY

I dig how they've got a look, a sound, NO MUSIC STANDS, and a fairly confident delivery.

They're still in their teens, so go easy on em Cooter. :lol:

That's my nephew playing the lefty strat. He copped his first guitar chords off of me years ago - I'm proud of that kid. :thu:

• Members

I like it when Alannis does it though. but only her cuz she owns it.

Nice. Very complex arrangement for a bunch of teens, and miles ahead of where I was at that age.

I'll be glad when that Alanis Morrisette-influenced vocal style goes away, though.

• Members

I am from the school of ripping guitar solos lol. Which I guess are out of style.

Not really, in my experience. What's out of style is speed for the sake of speed and flash for the sake of flash. People will appreciate a nice guitar solo if it's within the context of the song.

• Members

Perhaps. But I'm having a hard time thinking of a single song with a significant and/or memorable guitar solo recorded in the last 20 years.

Cliffs of Dover- Eric Johnson

Always with Me, Always with You- Satriani

Smooth- Santana and Rob Johnson

That's about it!

• Members

Cliffs of Dover- Eric Johnson

Always with Me, Always with You- Satriani

Smooth- Santana and Rob Johnson

That's about it!

Not sure about counting instrumentals, but that Satriani song is from like '86 and the Eric Johnson one BARELY squeaks by being released in 1990.

"Smooth". Yep. That's one of the very few, to be sure. And, not surprisingly, recorded by a cat from the 60s.

What happened to melodic solos?

• Members

Not sure about counting instrumentals, but that Satriani song is from like '86 and the Eric Johnson one BARELY squeaks by being released in 1990.

"Smooth". Yep. That's one of the very few, to be sure. And, not surprisingly, recorded by a cat from the 60s.

What happened to melodic solos?

The Satriani one was from '93 off the 'Beautiful Guitar' album.

But your point stands. I happen to agree with it. :wave:

• Members

Perhaps. But I'm having a hard time thinking of a single song with a significant and/or memorable guitar solo recorded in the last 20 years.

I think you'd have to separate "significant" and "memorable".

I'm an 80s Hair Metal guy and pretty much have no clue as to what's current - I stopped listening to "new" music back in '96 but here are some songs in the last 20 years that have guitar solos that are (to me) nice:

Santeria - Sublime

No Rain - Blind Melon

Alive - Pearl Jam

Far Behind - Candlebox

Shine - Collective Soul

Two Princes - Spin Doctors

Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam

• Members

"Beautiful Guitar" was a comp album. The song first appeared on "Surfing With The Alien."

Ah. I just had the BG album a friend burned for me years ago. :wave:

But you're right, getting back to the point. Pop music use to use lead guitar quite a bit- the Cars, Michael Jackson, and lots of others, up until the late 80s. It's a vanished art. :cry:

• Members

I think you'd have to separate "significant" and "memorable".

I'm an 80s Hair Metal guy and pretty much have no clue as to what's current - I stopped listening to "new" music back in '96 but here are some songs in the last 20 years that have guitar solos that are (to me) nice:

Santeria - Sublime

No Rain - Blind Melon

Alive - Pearl Jam

Far Behind - Candlebox

Shine - Collective Soul

Two Princes - Spin Doctors

Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam

Hell yeah!

Excellent picks, every one!

• Members

But you're right, getting back to the point. Pop music use to use lead guitar quite a bit- the Cars, Michael Jackson, and lots of others, up until the late 80s. It's a vanished art.
:cry:

And not only USED lead guitar, but songs had solos that, if not played 'right', would be playing the song incorrectly. You don't want to improvise a solo through "Hotel California", for example.

Archived