Harp-Driven Rock Coverband Setlist

• Members

I've posted a couple of threads about my situation and here is a setlist of tunes my group can already do as a coverband (there were also 6 obscure covers and 6 of my originals). The goal: To be a high-power coverband that has lead harmonica in place of lead guitar (although I have a guitar player that takes leads).

1. COCAINE - harp with rotary pedal

2. LONG TRAIN RUNNING - harp outro

3. HARD TO HANDLE - Gov't Mule reggae version with harp covering the horn parts

4. RUN-AROUND - harp

5. SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE - no guitar

6. THE JOKER - harp instead of slide

7. EVERY LITTLE THING SHE DOES IS MAGIC

8. MAGIC CARPET RIDE - harp with ring mod

9. ARE YOU GONNA BE MY GIRL - no harp

10. FEELIN

• Members

ITo be a high-power coverband that has lead harmonica in place of lead guitar (although I have a guitar player that takes leads).

Thanks!

I think that's going to be a really tough sell, and I certainly wouldn't mess around with Free Bird.

• Members

So... Blues Traveler?

I am not sure what you mean, so I am trying to guess. Run-around, Hook, and What Would You Say are all songs Popper played. In fact, a few other arrangements were "borrowed" from covers they've done over the years.

IF we were to do Freebird (which might be a by request only), BT does a version with harmonica. Since we only have one guitar and no keys, we'd have to use both the guitar and harp to pull it off. The guitar would totally be soloing during that tune (a la the BT version).

So far, the handful of shows we've done have been more successful than those with my previous band who gigged for five years together.

• Members

My two cents:

I think having a strong harp player gives you a huge differentiator over other cover bands. However, I would be really careful of using it in lieu of a lead guitar. It could turn into too much of a good thing.

An example of a similar thing with my band. We do some "mash-ups" generally combining standards (SHA, BEG, etc) with rap songs. They tend to be some of the songs that go over best for us. But... we only do 4-5 a night. It's what people remember at the end of the night, but between them we play songs pretty straight. It provides a great change-up. Now Austin Cowbell does an all Mash-Up show and is very successful, but he'll be the first to tell you that their following is kind of a "niche". I'm sure for every person that loves them there's a bunch of people who would rather just hear the song as it's supposed to be.

I think if in a 45 song night (three one hour sets) you had 15 or so that featured the harp, it would provide a great contrast to the other stuff you do. However, if 40 of the songs feature the harp, you may fall into the "one-trick pony" category.

So what I'd do is have 10-15 songs that are really harp driven. Another 10 or so where there's some, but it's not the focus (Life is a Highway is a perfect example) and then 20 or so songs where you keep the harp in your pocket. This will make the harp "special" when you get it out.

YMMV

• Members

Kinda, but even that is hard to explain. That's ultimately the issue. I am working on video, but to say it is like Blues Traveler is only true in that it is harmonica-driven rock. My group isn't as jammy, doesn't limit the role of the guitar to essentially just rhythm, and the harp doesn't dominate every song.

I have a solid rep in the harp part of things and so far the reaction has been great. Even when doing a "standard" cover, the arrangements and tasteful use of the harmonica (not a jam band!) has been refreshing. Sometimes it is as simple as playing a horn part or organ part...a couple of fills in a tune, etc.

For example, when we do Hey Soul Sister, I play the "Hey, hey" on harmonica during the intro and then again as an outro. It isn't like a 4min harp solo over Hey Joe. Another example, playing the intro to Black Magic Woman on harmonica is something I do. It isn't a jam fest either.

Here is the version of Creep we borrowed from to do...

***TrickyBoy posted the same time I was, but he is making the same point I am. When there is a jammy song, harp takes the lead. Often times, it is more a a short fill/rhythm thing. The guitar player totally gets to play leads, etc. It isn't harp solo after harp solo. Not all of those songs technically have harp on them, and a lot of them only have a splash here and there. On several I am using effects that also take it out of the realm of sounding like harmonica. For example, on Magic Carpet Ride I use a ring modulator and delay that sound like the spacey sounds on the studio cut.

• Members

I think having a strong harp player gives you a huge differentiator over other cover bands. However, I would be really careful of using it in lieu of a lead guitar. It could turn into too much of a good thing...

...So what I'd do is have 10-15 songs that are really harp driven. Another 10 or so where there's some, but it's not the focus (Life is a Highway is a perfect example) and then 20 or so songs where you keep the harp in your pocket. This will make the harp "special" when you get it out.

Agreed. I guested with a friend's band and at the time, his band consisted of him on vocals and lead guitar, a bassist, drummer and a harmonica player. The harpist played A LOT and on every single song. A lot of times, the stuff he played did not fit the song very well and it certainly didn't fit when I was playing piano and organ parts as an add-on musician. It was kind of annoying, actually.

I think, as with anything, a little goes a long way.

I do, however, applaud your willingness to do something completely different from most bands out there as a harp-lead band, HarpNinjaMike! It also sounds like you have some taste in your playing (i.e. knowing when NOT to play). Kudos! :thu:

• Members

Agreed. I guested with a friend's band and at the time, his band consisted of him on vocals and lead guitar, a bassist, drummer and a harmonica player. The harpist played A LOT and on every single song. A lot of times, the stuff he played did not fit the song very well and it certainly didn't fit when I was playing piano and organ parts as an add-on musician. It was kind of annoying, actually.

I think, as with anything, a little goes a long way.

I do, however, applaud your willingness to do something completely different from most bands out there as a harp-lead band, HarpNinjaMike! It also sounds like you have some taste in your playing (i.e. knowing when NOT to play). Kudos!
:thu:

Thanks!

I've played with a few keyboard players and make it a general rule to NOT play any rhythm harp if they are playing rhythm. I also think if you're comping with a guitar player, it is a good idea to stay out of the same sonic range even if riffing. So in a blues context where the harp often holds a riff down, I might play it an octave lower or play a low octave harp to fit between the bass and guitar.

Even then, I tend to play octaves around the 3 and 5 of the chord to avoid the root notes (bass) and to fill in some of the space a keyboard player would fill.

The strength of the harp in rock, IMO, is the ability to play very expressive melodies (not necessarily bluesy all the time either).

I am actually from Grand Forks! I moved to MN for college in '99 and never really moved back.

• Members

Consider using the harp in place of other instruments, such as organ or horns. I could see it work as the keyboard part to Addicted to Love, for example.

Consider also using more effects, such as chorus, to beef up your sound and add a unique quality.

Consider adding some classic harp moments,such Zeps' Bring It on Home intro, as intros or bridges to other songs.

• Members

Consider using the harp in place of other instruments, such as organ or horns. I could see it work as the keyboard part to Addicted to Love, for example.

Consider also using more effects, such as chorus, to beef up your sound and add a unique quality.

Consider adding some classic harp moments,such Zeps' Bring It on Home intro, as intros or bridges to other songs.

Good call on the chorus, thanks! I don't have a preset for that...so far I've been using:

various delays

sweep echo

octo

synth

rotary

tron up

particle verb

bass octaver

ring mod

I haven't worked in a chorus, but that should sound good. I didn't like how a flange or phaser sounded, though.

• Members

:thu: Some great ideas here.

Just think out of the box. You can probably pull something off that hasn't been successful in the past. Just innovate and do it well. If you end up with a great harp led band and people want to see you it really doesn't matter where you started. Practice and get a great stage presentation and your band's unique qualities might be a great draw. Try it. If it doesn't work, change it or lose it.

• Members

I think that's going to be a really tough sell, and I certainly wouldn't mess around with Free Bird.

I beg to differ. You can get a ton of credit waiting for some asshole to shout it out, and then bring on a weirdo arrangement.

And I'd go see a harp-driven band, and I don't get out much. I think some of the songs you've got are gonna bomb, but you can figure that out as you play them.

• Members

A buddy of mine plays harp and congas in a duo.. i have seen them with a bass player working as a trio. they pull off all kinds of stuff,, but they are very good , have great vocals and he is a bomb harp player that can handle anything from melodic fills to full on leads. Its a top act down here. as far as harp players go ,, not many can hang with this guy.

• Members

Too much harp, IMO...and I'm a harp player.

It's a lot less than my previous band...and there is still thousands of more guitar tones a night in comparison. I know it sounds a bit arrogant, but I am confident in my execution as the front person and "lead" instrument. Most those tunes aren't play in 2nd position nor do I stick to the blues scale. I play a lot of 3rd, 11th, and 12th and really try to vary the tones quite a bit along with scale choice. There are many times where it sounds nothing like harmonica. The structure of the sets also play into what you can get away with too.

I think a really competent and fairly musically literate harp player can cover LOTS of sonic ground and fill in for several instruments making the band more diverse. It is like adding more backup singers in a way.

Granted, the initial reaction to the word harmonica is usually not very warm, even from musicians who play some harp, and it is virtually assumed that all the tunes will have massive amounts of minor pentatonic wanking with little or no breathing room while hovering on the verge of feedback for 100's of bars a song at ear piercing frequencies all the while trampling over all beginnings, endings, vocals, and solos....wait this is starting to sound like some guitarists I know! :facepalm:

I tried to pick all of the songs based on one or more of the following:

1. Songs on the DJ Mobile Beat Top 200 (which is over 1/3)

2. Songs that killed with my old band

3. Songs suggested in "coverband" threads on this and another forum

4. Songs that the local heavyweights listed on their websites

I totally concede that there is a heavy emphasis on classic rock, but I tried to add twists and turns when I could (like the Joker morphing into part of Stir It Up and You Lost that Loving Feeling) and I included room for schtick (singalongs, drinking opportunities, freebies, etc)...really, I am limited a little bit by how fast the band can get together, rehearse, and be ready to perform a tune.

In the end, the majority of the crowd and the majority of the gigs will have never heard a harmonica sound anything like that. I think that is way cool. Unless you suck, of course.

• Members

No offense - but I can't help but think you're trying to make a main course out of a spice. Back in my army days I have a harp player for a room mate. He was convinced there was a harp solo in every tune ever written. He and he alone could hear the harp solo in "Girl from Ipanema". I think you're going to have an uphill sell on this one ....

• Members

Norman, obviously your and other's experiences with no-talent no-taste harp-wankers (whole lotta those around) plays a big part in your POV.

Back in the day, I was in a blues band fronted by a young harp player by the name of Billy Gibson. He was a dynamic enough front man that we tied for first place in a blues band showdown and earned a slot on the MS Delta Blues Festival '89. I remember seeing him at a music store sight-read Charlie Parker transcriptions on his chromatic. A few years ago he gave up a steady weekly gig at the Rumboogie Cafe on Beale St. to tour with his own band and won "best harp player" award from Blues Revue. He has recorded several CD's of blues and jazz (Ellington, Monk etc.) on both chromatic and diatonic harp. He is not only a better, more musical player than John Popper (IMO) but is one of the best harmonica players in the WORLD. You would NOT listen to him and be bored.

IMO talent is the only limit, not the axe. I think it would be good to listen to the OP's music before making judgments about the viability of a harp-fronted band.

• Members

Diatonic or chromatic? We've all heard lines modified by diatonic players - sometimes it works OK, sometimes it fails, at least to my ears.

The other issue is song selection. I'd be trying to put together a set list that keeps signature guitar licks to a minimum and look instead to emulate horn or keyboard parts.

Ultimately, as Tim reminds us, the vocals will make or break you. Heard a youtube video the other day with a smoking version of Stevie Wonder's "Boogie on Reggae Woman." . . . . except that this hot chick singer has it in a key too low by about a fifth! :facepalm:

• Members

Back in the day, I was in a blues band fronted by a young harp player by the name of Billy Gibson.

IMO talent is the only limit, not the axe. I think it would be good to listen to the OP's music before making judgments about the viability of a harp-fronted band.

I haven't met Billy, but the first time I met Jason Ricci, he was going on and on about Billy and Dennis Gruenling. He even took me to the band's van to listen to an unreleased CASETTE tape of Dennis, lol.

At any rate, I ran home and started digging up Billy's stuff. He is an amazing harp player. His ability to work a motif until your head is about to explode is uncanny.

Archived