Break music idea, does anyone here do this?

-MBro-

• Members

Im tired of having dead air after a set. My band has taken the effort to write segues and plan audience interaction to minimize dead air. So after the set we're often wondering where the soundman has gone and when will we get some break music. Time to take matters into my own hands and come up with a solution to the issue of dead air and rallying wayward bandmates to get back on stage in a timely/orderly fashion.

Using windows movie maker I can easily take a collection of MP3s and place them in a nicely mixed track of an length. It does some volume leveling,simple cross fades and shortening of songs.

The most common breaks are 45 30 and sometimes 15 minutes. I made three tracks of each with songs that compliment the bands material and a overall party vibe. The last song of the set is well known to the band to give them a few minutes to get back to the stage area.

I still haven't tried this out and am still unsure about some of the more technical aspects. I'll need a mini to rca cable and some rca to 1/4" adapters. Should I include anything else in the kit like a DI or a preamp. Ill need to be ready for working with a soundman and also operating the board myself.

• Members

We use my buddy's Ipod + my mini-to-1/4 connector straight into channel 8.

Choose your break music carefully. It should be something your audience will like, reasonably upbeat yet slightly bland in comparison to the band's material, particularly the next tune you're going to play.

Important note: Best to use an I-Pod, NOT an I-Phone. :o

• Members
  • Members

Choose your break music carefully. It should be something your audience will like, reasonably upbeat yet slightly bland in comparison to the band's material, particularly the next tune you're going to play.

I disagree. Playing good music through the break keeps people interested during a break. If your band's music sucks compared to your break music, maybe it is time to update your band's music choices.

• Members

I disagree. Make it good music in the vein that your band already plays. Choose songs in the same genre but that your band couldn't pull off due i=to instrumentation or technique. Don't stray far from what the band does and keep the mood high with great tunes that just enhances what the band does live.

• Members

Make it good music in the vein that your band already plays. Choose songs in the same genre but that your band couldn't pull off due i=to instrumentation or technique. Don't stray far from what the band does and keep the mood high with great tunes that just enhances what the band does live.

Been doing this for several years now, first for an annual fundraiser I help put on with my side project: before and in between both bands I had a couple playlists and would let them play randomly. Challenge for that is the iPod rested at the soundboard...

With the main band now, I do the same and we'll be running it into the our in-ear monitor rack with signal going from the split out to FOH: I'll have total control within arm's reach.

• Members

One thing that annoys the hell out of me with break music is when they crank it up really loud. Breaks are just that. A break for the band and a break for the crowd. bring the mood down a little and let people ears decompress from the volume of the band. while some folks seem to think that dance music at full tilt is great ,,,, it really voids out the purpose of a break.

• Members

One thing that annoys the hell out of me with break music is when they crank it up really loud. Breaks are just that. A break for the band and a break for the crowd. bring the mood down a little and let people ears decompress from the volume of the band. while some folks seem to think that dance music at full tilt is great ,,,, it really voids out the purpose of a break.

Totally dependant on the gig and the venue. I have several playlists I use for different type events, and often come up with specific ones for specific gigs.

I've got a set of soft rock/jazz music for background during dinner/cocktail hours. General break music that matches our style to be played at relatively low volume. Full on dance-mix music to be played at full volume when it's best to keep the dance floor going. Oldies playlists, country playlists, disco playlists, etc for gigs where that stuff will entertain the audience best.

Most bands aren't going to need the variety of stuff I do, obviously. But not all purposes of the break are the same.

• Members

I continue to be amazed that bands, sometimes major national acts, fail to control the music between sets. Many just leave it up to the soundman, or allow the venue management to plug in a jukebox or TV.

I also agree with Rhat that breaks should provide a breather. As he noted, the human ear can get tired, and needs some time to chill and reset. Consider that when compiling your break music.

• Members

We play mostly rock as a band, but our break music is more dance heavy hip hop style, and we do run it at close to the level the band plays. If you lower the mood, people tend to leave, so we like to keep the place hopping, even during a break.

We have voiceovers recorded along with the music, so every few minutes you get a message about the band, our web site, etc. as well as how long it will be till our return. It seems to work pretty well.

• Members

Anyone here with iPhones ever heard of this magical thing built into the phone called "Airplane Mode", where it no longer functions as a phone?

FAIL.
:facepalm:
Brian V.

Yep. That is very necessary. Even if you're not receiving a call, they tend to send out some kind of noise to amplified speakers. We always put our in airplane mode before we start playing.

• Members

We have voiceovers recorded along with the music, so every few minutes you get a message about the band, our web site, etc. as well as how long it will be till our return. It seems to work pretty well.

I like the voice over idea, consider it stolen! :thu:

• Members

We play mostly rock as a band, but our break music is more dance heavy hip hop style, and we do run it at close to the level the band plays. If you lower the mood, people tend to leave, so we like to keep the place hopping, even during a break.

We have voiceovers recorded along with the music, so every few minutes you get a message about the band, our web site, etc. as well as how long it will be till our return. It seems to work pretty well

Man than reeks of marketing overload. It would make me thing this band isnt secure enough in their band just to take a normal break.

• Members

Anyone here with iPhones ever heard of this magical thing built into the phone called "Airplane Mode", where it no longer functions as a phone?

FAIL.
Brian V.

Took the words right out of my mouth! Unless you need to have the phone on, of course...in which case, you should buy an iPod and not use your damn phone!:facepalm:

• Members

We play mostly rock as a band, but our break music is more dance heavy hip hop style, and we do run it at close to the level the band plays. If you lower the mood, people tend to leave, so we like to keep the place hopping, even during a break..

That can work if the band is good. I've seen {censored}ty bands play hip hop dance music during breaks and the crowd gets upset when the band comes back on. They preferred the break music.

• Members

Took the words right out of my mouth! Unless you need to have the phone on, of course...in which case, you should buy an iPod and not use your damn phone!

We use my iPhone to control iTunes that is run from an iBook on stage. The Remote app is pretty cool. I can remotely start, stop or change a song and adjust the volume from the other side of the club. People are impressed when I can play an instant request from the bar when the sound system is in the other room.

• Members

I suppose if someone is trying to figure out break music; maybe they haven't figured out "Airplane Mode" either.

• Members

Man than reeks of marketing overload. It would make me thing this band isnt secure enough in their band just to take a normal break.

No. It's subtle, effective and IMHO, pretty cool. Perhaps I'm not describing it well. Let's say my band's name is "Fred". It's just something like every 6 or 7 minutes "You're listening to Fred radio. Fred will return to the stage in 10 minutes". It's no more than a real DJ would be doing if one were there spinning the break music.

Archived