Split in two (bands that is)

tim_7string

• Members

Absolutely. You probably missed my comment about this in a previous thread.

I need it for brand name marketing purposes. I record my own songs under my own name. I have a website with my name as the dot com. It's all set up and ready to go for a band to go by that particular name. People would be confused if I sold a CD at shows with my name on it, but the band name was completely different. That happened before when I had a band in 2001-2002 and tried to sell my CD singles at the shows. The two need to match up.

Also, although I'm nowhere as experienced or have gone as far as he has, BlueStrat stated an important reason why to go the namesake route. With a band, it only takes one joker to mess things up for you and then the band name is toast. Then you have to start all over. With a band named after yourself, as long as you are there and people know who you are, the lineup behind you can change and it won't matter as much. You see this more in country and blues than in rock, but it can be found there as well.

Is it an ego thing? Absolutely. Am I an egomaniac for wanting a band with my own name. No, it's for marketing purposes and to protect my own buildup. I'm gaining a following around here and it's the next logical step. It isn't for everybody, I understand, but it is the right thing for me.

Cool. Just was curious. Good luck with that!

• Members

Cool. Just was curious. Good luck with that!

Heh, not sure if you're being sincere or sarcastic, but I think it will work just fine. I've already played a gig as my namesake band back in February and it was very successful. Was it a fluke? Dunno. Was it just because it was Valentine's Day weekend? Maybe. But I know there were people that came up to me before, during and after the gig that said "I'll follow *you* anywhere, man...don't matter who you're playing with." And I'd like to test that theory.

• Members

The end result I always come to is the same though.. why not take the songs from that genre and just learn them with Broke By Sunday? We'll see which way it goes.

That's not a credible approach in my opinion. You want to play stuff from the 50's and 60's, then you have to connect with that older audience in other ways, including look, attitude on stage, demeanor, circle of friends/fans, the whole nine.

I guess there is an outside chance that the younger audience may go for a few of the nostalgia hits mixed in with the stuff they like, but I can't see it really: not with 50's and 60's. The majority of those types of bands are older dudes, very seasoned, mistake free, that can play this {censored} in their sleep and have been doing so for years. You ain't gonna get your young ass in the ring with those types of bands and not get owned.

Best to just stick to what you do. IN time, you'll be that old guy....

• Members

Heh, not sure if you're being sincere or sarcastic, but I think it will work just fine. I've already played a gig as my namesake band back in February and it was very successful. Was it a fluke? Dunno. Was it just because it was Valentine's Day weekend? Maybe. But I know there were people that came up to me before, during and after the gig that said "I'll follow *you* anywhere, man...don't matter who you're playing with." And I'd like to test that theory.

LOL...when I posted that I thought "good luck with that" might come off the wrong way, but I'm being sincere.

• Members

That's not a credible approach in my opinion. You want to play stuff from the 50's and 60's, then you have to connect with that older audience in other ways, including look, attitude on stage, demeanor, circle of friends/fans, the whole nine.

I guess there is an outside chance that the younger audience may go for a few of the nostalgia hits mixed in with the stuff they like, but I can't see it really: not with 50's and 60's. The majority of those types of bands are older dudes, very seasoned, mistake free, that can play this {censored} in their sleep and have been doing so for years. You ain't gonna get your young ass in the ring with those types of bands and not get owned.

Best to just stick to what you do. IN time, you'll be that old guy....

I used to agree with you on that. I saw an older band whip out some 50s songs very much in the vein of John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band and it was amazing. But I've also seen some smaller combos do a pretty bang up job. And even though our repertoire is limited to only a few 50s and 60s tunes, we do a damn good job on them if I do say so myself. The proof is always in the crowd running to the dance floor or dancing in place while they play pool, playing air guitar. Both of those things happened when we played songs from those eras and it was from people of different ages, not just old folks. There are songs we kind of suck on, but those are not in that category.

Archived