Guitar player to become a bass player to be in a band (merged with bass gear thread)

brian123

• Members

How much room do I need in my car to fit a 4x10?
I have 4 door Toyota Acura. Fairly large car. Fairly large trunk. Will I be able to get a 4x10 cabinet in the trunk of this car? Will I need a Van or Pick up?

I will be a bass player as well as guitarist. The resume looks better. I have just doubled or tripled the chance to be in a band

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How much room do I need in my car to fit a 4x10?

I have 4 door Toyota Acura. Fairly large car. Fairly large trunk. Will I be able to get a 4x10 cabinet in the trunk of this car? Will I need a Van or Pick up?

I will be a bass player as well as guitarist. The resume looks better. I have just doubled or tripled the chance to be in a band

Since you have decided to do both, congratulations! You will have far more opportunities than someone who only plays guitar. As you know, they are a dime a dozen, while bass players are at a premium. I play fill-in gigs with my former band which sometimes includes a guy who plays bass guitar. He is actually a lead guitarist, but he has two separate rigs in his car so that he can make money from either role. I specified to the bandleader that I can only play guitar. I can no longer play bass all night, because I have some nerve damage in my hands. So, if he is available, the guitarist/bassist gets hired and plays bass. I know it sometimes bugs him, but he is doing it for the money, so ultimately it doesn't really matter.

I'm not sure how big a Toyota Acura is. I used to have a hatchback Geo Metro from 1996. I loved it because I could fit my 4x12 cab and head in there perfectly. It was like it was designed for it! And the gas mileage...man...I wish I had it now. 44 mpg on average. Sure would have come in handy these past few years with all the skyrocketing gasoline prices.

A 4x10 bass cab is somewhat smaller than a 4x12 guitar cab, so you might be able to fit it into your vehicle. I guess I would go to a music store and ask someone to help see if it would fit in your car before plunking down money for it (accompanying you with cab in hand to the vehicle, of course, so they don't think you're stealing it or something). I have both an SUV and van, so I don't have to worry about being able to transport something like that. But then I have downsized to a 1x12 combo amp, so my situation is different...

• Members

Get the measurements, in particular the depth (easily available online), and measure your door opening.

For example, I found that the Ampeg HLF 4x10 was too deep to fit even in my rather large 4 door car, but the lower-end model fits quite nicely.

I doubt you'll get any 4x10 to fit in a trunk, but you should be able to fit one in a back seat.

• Members

If I don't get the job I might be able to return it within 30 days and exchange these items for a Martin 0015 mahogony guitar which is about a $1000. I was planning on buying a Martin mahogony guitar this year anyway.
Read this and tell me what's wrong with the picture you are painting? I'll give you a hint: that Martin isn't going to help you get gigs. IN fact, it will probably seal your fate as a closet musician.

I'm sure your right getting gigs with a acoustic guitar are few and far between. I never see adds for acoustic guitar players wanted. I think if you have a acoustic you maybe stuck playing coffee houses. It would help greatly if you could sing and play acoustic too. I had a friend who played acoustic guitar and sang at coffee houses. They would pass the hat around and he would be paid in tips. He kept the money himself he had low expenses he did not have to pay any bandmembers

• Members

I wanted to have options too, when I started out. That's why I bought a power amp and a rack case, and used a POD that I already owned for a preamp.

I figured that I could use the power amp to run monitors or mains down the line; the band I'm in now uses that power amp for monitors.

I made good use of AMS's 5 payment plan to get the gear I needed, once the gigs started flowing. I'd say it's more than paid for itself over the last 3 years. The things: I really love playing bass now, and I have no desire at all to go back to guitar.

• Members

I figured that I could use the power amp to run monitors or mains down the line; the band I'm in now uses that power amp for monitors.

Are you suggusting I do what you do. Buy a power amp so a band can use that power amp on a monitors. So that would mean buy a 300-500 watt head a 4x10 cabinet and power amp.

• Members

As you know, they are a dime a dozen, while bass players are at a premium.

The world is filled full of guitar players. They are expedible . This means you would not be missed if you were replaced. Bass players are few and far between. What about drummers?

• Members

The world is filled full of guitar players. They are expedible . This means you would not be missed if you were replaced. Bass players are few and far between. What about drummers?

We have bass players comming out our ears down here... drummers are hard to find.

• Members

Yep, this is why I avoided playing guitar for so long in my teens. I figured I could find one anywhere. But I learned that the style I was looking for wasn't in large supply. I made a decision to 'start over' on guitar. I was originally a keyboardist/singer that had been playing them for 4 years by that point. It was difficult learning how to play guitar that first year when I was 18, but I don't regret it at all. Being able to play keyboards, bass guitar, plus the ability to sing lead and harmony has also been very helpful in getting me gigs.

Drummers...that would depend on your area. For a while there, about two years ago, there was a very short supply of them. A year later, all of a sudden they popped up all over the place. It ebbs and flows, probably due to people moving here, moving away, joining bands, quitting bands, coming out of 'gigging retirement', etc.

For my own band, I have a great drummer. I really enjoy his playing, but he is also a bit of a diva and a self-proclaimed asshole. He also highly annoys me by the way he talks on the mic all the time, especially when he does it while *I* am already talking (probably didn't have my vocals in his monitor or something). I know that he and I together basically make the band a workable entity. If I go out on my own with a passable drummer, things will be far different. So, I'm going to try my best to find someone who kicks ass on drums for my own project.

• Members

Are you suggusting I do what you do. Buy a power amp so a band can use that power amp on a monitors. So that would mean buy a 300-500 watt head a 4x10 cabinet and power amp.

Yeah, that's what I'm suggesting. You'll get a decent head start on PA gear, which is a nice thing to have and can get you even closer to a good gigging situation.

I made use of a preamp that I already had, and I also had a 2x12 cab that I used at first. Once the band started booking gigs, I started buying better eqipment one piece at a time: basically an Ampeg 4x10 and a Markbass Little Mark II amp.

My first upgrade was to get a Sansamp RBI instead of the POD and into the 2x10. Then I got a (used) 1x15, which was better to gig with. Then I eventually got a 4x10, followed by the MarkBass. That combination works well for the smaller venues we play, and even the outdoor medium-size stage stuff like bike nights.

I run a smaller PA with no subs, so I put a relatively small amount of bass through the PA. We keep our stage volume relatively low, including the drums, which works better for the rooms we play and also makes us sound better. I've never had any trouble hearing myself in any situation.

• Members

Found a used USED GENZ BENZ SHUTTLE 3.0 250W BASS HEAD for $300. 250 watts might not be enough. What do you think of this one?

GENZ is great stuff but for the same $300 I would go for the wattage with the GK. 250w Solidstate is not much output at all to be honest.

• Members

GENZ is great stuff but for the same $300 I would go for the wattage with the GK. 250w Solidstate is not much output at all to be honest.

The Shuttle3.0 is 300 watts into a 4 ohm load the same as the GK 800. The GK also weighs about 20 pounds more. I would get the Genz Benz. The shuttle 3.0 has only been around for about 5 years so a used one would not be very old. GK and Genz Benz both make great amps except the backline series.

• Members

The Shuttle3.0 is 300 watts into a 4 ohm load the same as the GK 800. So the GK and Shuttle put out the same volume at 4ohms. What about all those unused 800 watts of GK ? If your only using 300 watts how do you utilize the 800 watts?

• Members
The Shuttle3.0 is 300 watts into a 4 ohm load the same as the GK 800. So the GK and Shuttle put out the same volume at 4ohms. What about all those unused 800 watts of GK ? If your only using 300 watts how do you utilize the 800 watts?

I'm not sure why they called it the 800rb.:confused: I just looked at the specs though and unless you are using the bi-amp feature [ you need a GK cab for this] you are only getting 300 watts.

• Members

What customer support? I will be buying used. Will I be able to get customer support if I am not registered original owner. Who needs customer support? GK users have many complaints about their brands huh? Never used customer support on my Fender Hot rod Deluxe in my 7 years. Just took it to local used music store for replacement tubes.

Archived