Thoughts on "I Gotta Feeling" by BEP

Gizzyboo

• Members

As a side note, first when i heard a request for this song I thought the young lady was referring to the Beatles (boy was i wrong). So here's the story. We're a 4-piece 40 something's classic rock band that's not afraid to try something different if it works. We tried this one at practice (we have keys in the band) and i think we do a very good version for an all male band. Question is, does this song still go over good or is it a passing thing like much of the other "rave of the week" stuff that comes and goes? Don't want to pour our hearts into somthing that, we can nail, yet just doesn't work any more . I pretty much got all the lyrics memorized which is no easy feat for a virgin rapper. LOL. Any thoughts?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We started playing it in a medley when it first came out (2009?). We still play part of it now, usually open the show with it or place it somewhere in the 1st set. I am sure it will still work anywhere you place it in your show.

• Members

It's one of those songs that will probably be in our setlist for a long time because of the reaction. We have pop songs that have become staples in our setlist long after they've slipped from the charts, Sexy Back, Hot In Here, Low... other BEP songs have come and gone from the setlist but "I Gotta Feelin" this one will be around for a long time.

[video=vimeo;18850268]

• Members

Thanks for the input. All agree with the thumbs up on this one.

Now, I know i should maybe open a new thread for this other tune we're doing, to get a response, but here goes: "My Sharona"; does this still work if the club is full and the people are in a dancing kind of mood? Or would it kill/slow the momentum if we "have em"?

• Members

If you deliver any song in the right way it will go over well. Personally I think I gotta Feelin is super overplayed and a lot of "older" bands Ive seen look hokey doing it. NIAB does a great job of it because theyre able to recreate the original synth sounds and overall feel of the song really well, but Ive also seen a lot of bands who totally destroy it in a bad way.

• Members

It's funny, there are two BEP songs that are IMO diametric opposites. "I Gotta Feeling" which still really works and I still hear bands kill with and "Let's Get It Started" which is SOOOOO dead and really I haven't heard that song go over well in years. As for I Gotta Feeling, we mash it up with Roxanne, which continues to go over really well for us.

• Members

It's funny, there are two BEP songs that are IMO diametric opposites. "I Gotta Feeling" which still really works and I still hear bands kill with and "Let's Get It Started" which is SOOOOO dead and really I haven't heard that song go over well in years. As for I Gotta Feeling, we mash it up with Roxanne, which continues to go over really well for us.

We used to do a smoking version of "Boom Boom Pow" that used to be a set closer,... loud guitars, synths, vocoder, samples but we axed that from the set over a year ago. We did Get It Started in 2005... it's still in that awkward, "played out last decade, but still not old enough to be retro" stage. Under that rule it's good form to wait until at least a decade after the song release before it re-enters the setlist again. :D

Although we have a stable of sing along, fun, dancable tunes that have never failed so we never removed them from our setlist. We've been playing Nelly's "Hott In Heree" since 2004. We don't play it every show but it's never left the setlist. The same with 'Sexy Back'-J. Timberlake (added 2006), Mr Brightside (2007), 'Low'-Flo'Rida (2008), Hot N' Cold K. Perry (2009). Hey Soul Sister (2010) These songs aren't on any dance charts but we still get tons of miles off of them. I think a band would look a bit late to the party adding these songs in 2011, but for our audience they've never left the setlist and are therefore staples of the show.

• Members

Try this next Christmas:

[video=youtube;5N4EFVgtB0Y]

• Members

We've been debating adding this song to the list for a while. I was hesitant due to all the keyboard parts. Then I saw mstreck's band do it with 2 guitars and pull it off well, so I said what the hell, if a guitar band can do it so can we! We haven't had time to learn it yet but it'll get done at the end of the month when we rehearse again.

• Members

We did Get It Started in 2005... it's still in that awkward,
"played out last decade, but still not old enough to be retro"
stage. Under that rule it's good form to wait until at least a decade after the song release before it re-enters the setlist again.

I was just talking to my guitar player last week about songs that are in that stage of played out but not old enuff to be "retro" yet.

Funny story about Lets Get It Started. Back when it was 1st released and getting radio play but before you heard it EVERYWHERE, me and John (our singer) suggested it to the band. Every one of them especially our female vocalist and 1st guitar player refused to learn it and didn't "hear the hit." :lol:

We still joke about this sometimes.

• Members

I saw mstreck's band do it with 2 guitars and pull it off well.

Mine does it with one! We miss the little melody line in the intro over the opening chords, but other than that you can't tell the difference. They may not recognize it immediately, but as soon as people hear "I Got A Feelin'" all the asses are out of the seats.

• Members

Thanks for the input. All agree with the thumbs up on this one.

Now, I know i should maybe open a new thread for this other tune we're doing, to get a response, but here goes: "My Sharona"; does this still work if the club is full and the people are in a dancing kind of mood? Or would it kill/slow the momentum if we "have em"?

Depends on various things IMO, I've seen it work fine, but it would have to make sense for the crowd and fit in well with the rest of the set.

• Members

Question is, does this song still go over good or is it a passing thing like much of the other "rave of the week" stuff that comes and goes? Don't want to pour our hearts into somthing that, we can nail, yet just doesn't work any more . I pretty much got all the lyrics memorized which is no easy feat for a virgin rapper. LOL. Any thoughts?

My perspective: First, I play keys. I use a harpsi/clav in the right hand and for the intro and middle will jump up to my second board (where I play a low cello)with the LH.

Personally, I hate it. It's boring as all hell to play.

But do it. It absolutely kills.

Personally, despite my hatred of the song, I feel it needs to be in every cover band's "must-learn" list.

This one has achieved "party anthem" status in a short time, and no matter how much I might wish it, "I Gotta Feeling" ain't going away anytime soon.

I've never seen a circumstance where it didn't get the crowd going.

Unless there is NO crowd, and then my friend, you have far worse problems on your hands . . .

• Members

My perspective: First, I play keys. I use a harpsi/clav in the right hand and for the intro and middle will jump up to my second board (where I play a low cello)with the LH.

Personally, I hate it. It's boring as all hell to play.

But do it. It absolutely kills.

Personally, despite my hatred of the song, I feel it needs to be in
every
cover band's "must-learn" list.

This one has achieved "party anthem" status in a short time, and no matter how much I might wish it, "I Gotta Feeling" ain't going away anytime soon.

I've never seen a circumstance where it didn't get the crowd going.

Unless there is NO crowd, and then my friend, you have far worse problems on your hands . . .

We must have better taste in music here in Montana. I have never heard anybody play a Black eyed douchebag song.:thu: I watched them on American Idol last week and was less than impressed.

• Members
We must have better taste in music here in Montana. I have never heard anybody play a Black eyed douchebag song.:thu:

Not sure I would go that far. Its a popular song and if your crowd is of the age demogrhapic and your band does that kind of stuff , by all means give em what they want.

I can assure you that we will never do that song , but then its just not what we do. Songs would not be hits if they didnt appeal to a lot of people. its not really a bad song ,, just not our kind of music.

• Members

We must have better taste in music here in Montana. I have never heard anybody play a Black eyed douchebag song.
:thu:
I watched them on American Idol last week and was less than impressed.

What do you guys play out there, both kinds of music?

• Members

We toss the chorus of it into a medley in the middle of "Here in Your Arms", that features "I Gotta Feelin", "OMG", "Just the Way You Are", "With or Without You", "Don't Stop Believin" and "Any Way You Want It". Works great...

Oh.. and the same people singing along to the country stuff like "Chicken Fried", "Save A Horse", "She's Country" and even "Folsom Prison Blues" are the ones singing along to BEP. Music's music...

Archived