Fret markers: What do you use?

• Members

Just curious. I recently purchased a Michael Kelly Patriot Glory (Translucent Blood Red) and instead of the usual inlays it has a scrollwork design from the 3rd to the 18th fret with nothing obvious to indicate the fret other than the 12th. I've always more or less relied on the dot, block, star, etc fret markers, probably doing some subconscious pattern-matching. Since I only take seven guitars out with me the MK has replaced my Stadium SG copy. With the 41 songs currently in my bag I only used the Stadium on six of them and three of those are AC/DC. So I'm taking some of the songs I use my Delta LP copy on and using the MK. I'm sure as I play the guitar more I'll get used to it but at the moment I'm finding it confusing to rely on the side dot markers.

• Members

It's weird. I had a guitar with the fancy inlays on the fretboard and it confused me badly. On the other hand, I have a guitar that only has side dot markers and I don't even notice the fretboard markers are missing.

So, I guess I just need the side dots, but fancy inlays throw me off.

• Members

Lol. I agree the 'fancy' fretwork really throws me off, even the prs birds elude me, but my one epi has nothing but side markers oand no problem. I guess I use both still, most of it seems subconscious anymore

Archived