What do you guys think about this setlists? Order and songs

troyri

• Members

Its all over the place genre wise but we kind of like that.

SET 1

1 Good

2 Middle

3 Harvey Danger

4 Kryptonite

5 867-5309

6 Yellow Ledbetter

7 Chicken Fried

8 I Hate My Life

9 Billionare

10 Sex On Fire

11 Santeria

12 My Own Worst Enemy

13 Cowboy

14 What I Got

SET 2

1 Lit Up

2 Talk Dirty to Me

3 She Hates Me

4 Crazy Bitch

5 Sorry

6 Low

7 Bust a Move

8 Humpty

9 Shake that Ass

10 Fishin in the Dark/Killing in the Name of

11 Bad Romance

12 Bad Girlfriend

13 Word Up

14 Smile

15 F$&k You

SET 3

1 I Gotta Feeling

2 Got Nothing On You

3 Bartender

4 Send Me On My Way

5 Blister In The Sun

6 Billie Jean

7 I'm Yours

8 Champaigne

9 Lover Lover

10 This Afternoon

11 Play that Funky Music

12 Footloose

13 New Age Girl

14 {censored} Control

15 Fight for Your Right

• Members

I try to create groups of two to three songs that go well together. Then I arrange the groups. When I do so, I try to pace out the night, building the intensity from first song to last with little peaks and valleys in between.

You and I seem to play a lot of common material, but we play the harder stuff like RATM at the end of the third set - never before (it clears the floor if we do it earlier - YMMV).

{censored} Control as the penultimate song? Does that song get a big reaction in Indiana? I don't know if anyone here would know what it was (except for Prince fans).

• Members

Whose song is "Good"? For some reason, the Better Than Ezra tune keeps going through my brain, but I'm not sure if that's the one you mean.

FWIW, I'd enjoy seeing a band play most of that stuff...

jamieb

+++++

• Members

Yes it is Better than Ezra. I am still working on the order, so its good to hear the ideas of moving the harder stuff later. The Prince tune does pretty well. Its not our best but our crowds tend to thin out late in the 3rd set so I didn't want to put some of the other stuff that does better at the very end.

• Members

I kind of like that it's a bit spastic. It keeps people interested. Also, I find that folks seem to like a wide range of tunes. One of my bands does some of the tunes in your setlist, and we find that the people who love Chicken Fried are also out there rocking out to Killing in the Name Of.

• Members

Its all over the place genre wise but we kind of like that.

SET 1

1 Good

2 Middle

3 Harvey Danger

4 Kryptonite

5 867-5309

6 Yellow Ledbetter

7 Chicken Fried

8 I Hate My Life

9 Billionare

10 Sex On Fire

11 Santeria

12 My Own Worst Enemy

13 Cowboy

14 What I Got

SET 2

1 Lit Up

2 Talk Dirty to Me

3 She Hates Me

4 Crazy Bitch

5 Sorry

6 Low

7 Bust a Move

8 Humpty

9 Shake that Ass

10 Fishin in the Dark/Killing in the Name of

11 Bad Romance

12 Bad Girlfriend

13 Word Up

14 Smile

15 F$&k You

SET 3

1 I Gotta Feeling

2 Got Nothing On You

3 Bartender

4 Send Me On My Way

5 Blister In The Sun

6 Billie Jean

7 I'm Yours

8 Champaigne

9 Lover Lover

10 This Afternoon

11 Play that Funky Music

12 Footloose

13 New Age Girl

14 {censored} Control

15 Fight for Your Right

It's all subjective, and depends on who you're playing to! I'd probably swap "Chicken Fried" and "Lover, Lover", as you'd get more drunk people singing along to "Chicken Fried" in the third set. "New Age Girl" always struck me as a song for the first set... and I would think that "Play That Funky Music" should be earlier.. maybe late second set.

We have between 11-14 songs in common with you depending on the night.. but we also play "{censored} You" at the end of the second set.. and we usually use "The Middle" as the first or second song of the night.

EDIT: I'd probably also enjoy a band playing the setlist you guys are playing, for what it's worth.. and I'm curious as to whether or not number 10 on set 2 is a mashup or an either/or? If it's a mashup.. I'd like to hear that!

• Members

OK, well my two cents...

First, it's really hard to judge other bands setlists without hearing the band because so much of it has to do with how songs are delivered.

That being said, that being said, you have a lot of standard party songs in there that seem to work for most everyone. As a huge Prince fan, if you can do {censored} Control justice, I'm a fan, though I agree with Michael in that it is a more obscure tune, though it's a popular strip club tune ;)

The songs I'd really question, especially considering their placement is ones like Yellow Letterbed. Great song? Definitely. But after getting the crowd going with Kryptonite and 867-5309, do you really want to put them to sleep with something like that. We really avoid most low energy stuff like this, but on the rare occasion we do something like this, I put mellower songs either at the beginning or the end of sets. Once you get them partying, keep 'em partying. And yeah, IME, the songs should generally get heavier as the night progresses.

• Members

This was from Cinco de Mayo. There was a little quarterbacking on my part, and there usually is, but for the most part we stuck to it. I try to change things up in anticipation of the kind of audience we'll be facing. For example, biker-type crowds will probably get a second set that is mostly classic rock and we'll adjust the rest to taste.

Soundcheck - ARE YOU GONNA GO MY WAY

1. PRETTY IN PINK

2. BOYS OF SUMMER

3. 1985

4. VOLCANO GIRLS

5. JUST A GIRL

6. CELEBRITY SKIN

7. ANIMAL

8. I GOTTA FEELIN'

9. U + UR HAND

10. 99 RED BALLOONS

11. HERE FOR THE PARTY

12. BEAT IT

1. ROCK AND ROLL

2. TUSH

3. WALK THIS WAY

4. DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'

5. REBEL YELL

6. YOU SHOOK ME

7. SWEET CHILD

8. I WANT YOU TO WANT ME

9. YOUR LOVE

10. 867-5309

11. HIT ME*

12. KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF

13. HARD TO HANDLE

14. POUR SOME SUGAR

15. YOU OUGHTA KNOW

16. ZOMBIE

1. GRENADE

2. RAISE YOUR GLASS

3. {censored} YOU

4. PRETTY FLY (for a white guy)

5. FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT

6. MY OWN WORST ENEMY - F

7. SONG 2* - F

8. SHE HATES ME

9. THE JEFFERSONS

10. SLITHER

11. FULLY ALIVE

12. BULLS ON PARADE

13. COCHISE

14. ENTER SANDMAN

• Members

Blackbird it is a mashup and actually we put a chorus in between the 2 of Collective Soul Shine, its funny because I don't think anyone would have ever thought about it but all 3 get good enough responses that we talk weekly about splitting them up. Great ideas guys I appreciate it.

• Members

it is very hard to say how great the set order is just by looking at it. Like Jason said, a lot depends on the delivery. Like 867-5309 is a staple in our show because of the crowd participation we do with it. For some other bands it would just be filler. We usually place that in the middle of the 2nd set of our show. Our crowd expects that song, and expects the sing along and giveaways we do there. (shirts and other stuff from the band and a local beer store)

As far as the songs themselves, its a nice selection and if delivered well you would keep my attention all night.

Send Me On My Way I assume is rusted root? I haven't heard that covered in a long time. does it work well for you?

• Members

Send me on my way works pretty well for us. For some reason 867 doesn't do much so we just use it as a filler.

I wanted to try part of Send Me in a medley of ours but some of the guys weren't sold on it so we never did it.

• Members

This was from Cinco de Mayo. There was a little quarterbacking on my part, and there usually is, but for the most part we stuck to it. I try to change things up in anticipation of the kind of audience we'll be facing. For example, biker-type crowds will probably get a second set that is mostly classic rock and we'll adjust the rest to taste.

Soundcheck - ARE YOU GONNA GO MY WAY

1. PRETTY IN PINK

2. BOYS OF SUMMER

3. 1985

4. VOLCANO GIRLS

5. JUST A GIRL

6. CELEBRITY SKIN

7. ANIMAL

8. I GOTTA FEELIN'

9. U + UR HAND

10. 99 RED BALLOONS

11. HERE FOR THE PARTY

12. BEAT IT

1. ROCK AND ROLL

2. TUSH

3. WALK THIS WAY

4. DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'

5. REBEL YELL

6. YOU SHOOK ME

7. SWEET CHILD

8. I WANT YOU TO WANT ME

9. YOUR LOVE

10. 867-5309

11. HIT ME*

12. KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF

13. HARD TO HANDLE

14. POUR SOME SUGAR

15. YOU OUGHTA KNOW

16. ZOMBIE

1. GRENADE

2. RAISE YOUR GLASS

3. {censored} YOU

4. PRETTY FLY (for a white guy)

5. FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT

6. MY OWN WORST ENEMY - F

7. SONG 2* - F

8. SHE HATES ME

9. THE JEFFERSONS

10. SLITHER

11. FULLY ALIVE

12. BULLS ON PARADE

13. COCHISE

14. ENTER SANDMAN

How long did these sets take you? 42 songs in a night seems a bit much.

For comparision, we rarely go over 38 songs (usually only play 12/set total of 36)

• Members

I'd move Yellow Ledbetter towards the end. It may just be the Pearl Jam fan in me, but thats a good night closer.

Really?

Do you use it to put the crowd to bed?

J/K, but that's such a low/no energy song IMO...

• Members

For comparision, we rarely go over 38 songs (usually only play 12/set total of 36)

Depends on the bar, but we play 11 songs per set usually, 45 mins on, 15 min break. And either 4 sets or 4.5 sets; 9 to 1 or 9 to 1:30.

12/set, 36 songs would be a very short night for us.

• Members

Really?

We end almost every show with "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes and it kills. Then again, its a total sing along and as an added benefit its fun seeing drunks grope each other on the dance floor :D

• Members

They usually run an hour each. I tend to overplan so we can skip songs if we're going to run over. I usually go in have an idea of which ones we'll skip. :thu:

If the crowd is really good, we'll take shorter breaks (maybe 10 min) and play everything on the list.

• Members

We end almost every show with "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes and it kills. Then again, its a total sing along and as an added benefit its fun seeing drunks grope each other on the dance floor
:D

:lol::lol::lol:

The main reason I have this song on my list is because I'm hoping I can prompt the crowd into lesbian make-out sessions...

• Members

Depends on the bar, but we play 11 songs per set usually, 45 mins on, 15 min break. And either 4 sets or 4.5 sets; 9 to 1 or 9 to 1:30.

12/set, 36 songs would be a very short night for us.

This is pretty much the way we do it as well, although we are more flexible with breaks, depending on the crowd and the suggestions of the bar owner. I prefer shorter breaks, so 10 is fine with me, 15 about as far as I want to go and after 20 minutes, I get anxious to play again. I hate to see a crowd start to leave and I have noticed a consistency with longer breaks = people starting to leave.

I shoot for 11 songs per 45 minute set, but since we perform a lot of 2.5 to 3 minute songs, 13 seems to work better, especially since I'm not the "engaging banter" type. We did 44 songs (including one medley) on night and 40 on another night, but that was with some longer breaks (as suggested by the bar owner). Personally, I would rather just kick out a lot more music as opposed to talking a lot and it seems like most people in the audience (and on the dance floor) prefer that method too.

• Members

Really?

Your right that its a low energy song, but its always been (and this is funny to say with this song) a good drunk sing a long for me. That's why I'd rather put it as the last song of a set or to steal a page form a Pearl Jam setlist, at the end of the night.

Archived