Sloppy Joe's - Key West

mstreck

• Members

I'm trying to explain to our bass player why we would not be a good fit here. I think he's a bit delusional, because he isn't hearing it. I mean, really... :facepalm:

Have any of you ever played there? What was your experience? Really, I'd like to hear about bands who were sent home. Maybe that will help me talk some sense into the guy.

• Members

I've played there 6 times in the last two years.

The bands who get sent home are the bands who don't engage the crowd, have a shallow playlists that repeat every night, or just cause trouble when they're there. If you have volume issues you won't be asked back. If you read a large amount of lyrics from papers onstage you won't be back either. If you trash the condo you won't be back. If you play poorly you won't be back.

If you have a solid playlist spanning a few decades, know all the standards of rock (Sweet Home, AC/DC stuff, Jessie's Girl etc) you should have no problem there. You get a lot of crowd requests, and management loves to have the band try to fill them out, even with just a teaser of the song... People will tip you to play the songs they like, and you can make $$$ on tips on some nights. If you play a song people don't like, you can get them to tip you to stop...or make people get into tipping wars over songs.

It's a long week, so anyone singing needs to keep their voice healthy...no partying for them! You start on Monday, but it doesn't get busy until Thursday or Friday...by then you may be tired. Monday to Wednesday (or Thursday depending on the crowd) are 2 90 minute sets, and 3 60s on the weekend, back to 2 90s on Sunday. The monitor system is suspect at times, and ranges from 1-4 mixes on any given day. They have a beat up bass amp there, and 2 beat up Fender Hot Rod 1x12s that sound like {censored} there.

I've seen a lot of different types of bands there that have done very well. They tend to have jazz, r&b, bluegrass, country, and duo/trio stuff from 5 to 9 and rock bands at night. I've seen bands that weren't phenomenal get asked back, because they were fun and knew a lot of songs. As long as you're solid, you'll be fine.

The pay's not too great though. You do it to be in Key West. You get discounts on scooter rentals (about $113 for the whole week), some snorkeling trips, and 1/2 price on almost everything at Sloppy's. The staff are usually pretty friendly. A lot of the small shops on Duval St. give you a discount if you tell them you're playing there too.

My last band M80, was given one last chance after 2 warnings to add some newer material to their set list. They go down in the last week of September, so I'll see if they finally listened. They're serious about a good blend of music.

If you have any more questions, fire away! I may be able to answer them.

• Members

I've played there 6 times in the last two years.

The bands who get sent home are the bands who don't engage the crowd, have a shallow playlists that repeat every night, or just cause trouble when they're there. If you have volume issues you won't be asked back. If you read a large amount of lyrics from papers onstage you won't be back either. If you trash the condo you won't be back. If you play poorly you won't be back.

If you have a solid playlist spanning a few decades, know all the standards of rock (Sweet Home, AC/DC stuff, Jessie's Girl etc) you should have no problem there. You get a lot of crowd requests, and management loves to have the band try to fill them out, even with just a teaser of the song... People will tip you to play the songs they like, and you can make $$$ on tips on some nights. If you play a song people don't like, you can get them to tip you to stop...or make people get into tipping wars over songs.

It's a long week, so anyone singing needs to keep their voice healthy...no partying for them! You start on Monday, but it doesn't get busy until Thursday or Friday...by then you may be tired. Monday to Wednesday (or Thursday depending on the crowd) are 2 90 minute sets, and 3 60s on the weekend, back to 2 90s on Sunday. The monitor system is suspect at times, and ranges from 1-4 mixes on any given day. They have a beat up bass amp there, and 2 beat up Fender Hot Rod 1x12s that sound like {censored} there.

I've seen a lot of different types of bands there that have done very well. They tend to have jazz, r&b, bluegrass, country, and duo/trio stuff from 5 to 9 and rock bands at night. I've seen bands that weren't phenomenal get asked back, because they were fun and knew a lot of songs. As long as you're solid, you'll be fine.

The pay's not too great though. You do it to be in Key West. You get discounts on scooter rentals (about $113 for the whole week), some snorkeling trips, and 1/2 price on almost everything at Sloppy's. The staff are usually pretty friendly. A lot of the small shops on Duval St. give you a discount if you tell them you're playing there too.

My last band M80, was given one last chance after 2 warnings to add some newer material to their set list. They go down in the last week of September, so I'll see if they finally listened. They're serious about a good blend of music.

If you have any more questions, fire away! I may be able to answer them.

It kinda sounds like our home dig. Whats it pay lol

• Members

The agency my last band used send their "darlings" down there. 2nd tier bands don't get the chance.

was it the darlings or just the guys that had the variety to handle a tourist bar in a resort town, that caters to all ages and can dredge up some song maybe only one guys knows, a couple more have heard it, and two are totally in the dark and pull if off. bands that take requests and are able to take dares lol

• Members

was it the darlings or just the guys that had the variety to handle a tourist bar in a resort town, that caters to all ages and can dredge up some song maybe only one guys knows, a couple more have heard it, and two are totally in the dark and pull if off. bands that take requests and are able to take dares lol

no, it was the darlings. Mostly modern rock bands with younger members.

My band played everything from Amos Moses to Man in the Box, and we were never offered that gig, cuz we're older.

• Members

The agency my last band used send their "darlings" down there. 2nd tier bands don't get the chance.

Well, that's what I'm trying to explain to him. I don't care how much people around our hometown love us, we're just not a top-tier band. I see at least four things working against us from bish0p34's post. None of them are readily fixable.

Thank you for that, bish0p34! I'm going to forward that along!

Mike

• Members

no, it was the darlings. Mostly modern rock bands with younger members.

My band played everything from Amos Moses to Man in the Box, and we were never offered that gig, cuz we're older.

Its prolly a money losing gig that they can get young bands to take just to say they played there. Just average resort town pay ,, and big travel expenses. darlings = young and eager willing to do what it takes to play there. Its like where I am ,,, its so far from everywhere the only guys playing here on a regular basis live here. Its not a high paying town for bands.. but its a really nice place to live. A good deal of the pay is a view of the bay.

• Members

Well, that's what I'm trying to explain to him. I don't care how much people around our
hometown
love us, we're just not a top-tier band. I see at least four things working against us from bish0p34's post. None of them are readily fixable.

Mike

Aside from the being able to pull off tunes you haven't played, what other issues are there? He said you don't have to be "top tier". I think my current band would be a good fit. We may have to work in more newer stuff. Do they have a problem with a 3 piece band? I know one place in Ocean City does. We have to hire a 4th member for that gig, because they won't allow 3 piece bands to play. Dumbest thing I ever heard.

• Members

He said you don't have to be "top tier". I think my current band would be a good fit. We may have to work in more newer stuff. Do they have a problem with a 3 piece band? I know one place in Ocean City does. We have to hire a 4th member for that gig, because they won't allow 3 piece bands to play. Dumbest thing I ever heard.

Ok, next week is Modern Bliss on their schedule. These guys are not top tier. Sorry to say it, but we did a weekend with them at Put In Bay last year. Young kids, yes. Sound good, maybe. Put on a good show, maybe. They weren't bad by any means, but they're not a top tier band either. The band there this week, Hyjinx, is awesome (that girl can wail!). We played in AC with them a few weeks ago. Gas Station Disco coming up next month is good, and they've only been around for about 3 months now... they self-book their shows, and they got in.

I don't know of any full bands with three guys playing there personally, but if you have guitar, bass, and drums covered I don't see why not. The trios I always saw there are all acoustic, or "percoustic".

• Members

Its prolly a money losing gig that they can get young bands to take just to say they played there. Just average resort town pay ,, and big travel expenses. darlings = young and eager willing to do what it takes to play there. Its like where I am ,,, its so far from everywhere the only guys playing here on a regular basis live here. Its not a high paying town for bands.. but its a really nice place to live. A good deal of the pay is a view of the bay.

I know a lot of bands that won't do this venue for that reason. It's not a lot of money, especially after you travel there. We got 800 a night to start. Some of the older guys don't want to play gigs like this anymore, and the more established young bands I know just don't need the hassle for a small amount of $$$.

• Members

Well, that's what I'm trying to explain to him. I don't care how much people around our
hometown
love us, we're just not a top-tier band. I see at least four things working against us from bish0p34's post. None of them are readily fixable.

Mike

From what I saw in your videos, you guys sound good and have fun on stage. I don't see why you wouldn't work down there. But, you can't tell everything from the few you have posted. You would obviously know better about that.

Seriously... with age M80 ran from 36 to 45 (one of our agent's other bands was a lil older on average and still there 3x a year). Our singers looked good, but can't really control a crowd and don't move too much and we got asked back multiple times (they were "talked to" about their performance more than once lol). Our agent did send some second tier bands down there, and the ones that lost the gig did it to themselves. Some of them still go down there.

• Members

I know a lot of bands that won't do this venue for that reason. It's not a lot of money, especially after you travel there. We got 800 a night to start. Some of the older guys don't want to play gigs like this anymore, and the more established young bands I know just don't need the hassle for a small amount of $$$.

Thats not bad money if you are an intown band for just turning a bar gig.

• Members

Aside from the being able to pull off tunes you haven't played, what other issues are there? He said you don't have to be "top tier". I think my current band would be a good fit. We may have to work in more newer stuff. Do they have a problem with a 3 piece band? I know one place in Ocean City does. We have to hire a 4th member for that gig, because they won't allow 3 piece bands to play. Dumbest thing I ever heard.

don't engage the crowd

• Members

Our bass player, singer and drummer did it four years ago with a sub on guitar and keys. They had a good time but... with all things that happen when members spend too much time around each other, nerves were a bit frayed upon return. In fact I think it was that week that really started the wheels turning for dismissal for one of our band members. Our singer said "never again" and seemed pretty burnt by the schedule. 8 performances x $800. Our bass player said it cost him $400... he spent his share down there and then some just drinking. (he had to fly back because of his job right after). It sounds like a fun gig... a paid vacation... but when you subtract the travel expense, agent fee and everything else we probably made almost as much playing a weekend on Block Island for $1800 per show.

I have a job that allows me to do this on a weekend... to do this a whole week and then some (with travel) my job and my wife would kill me. :D

• Members

Our bass player, singer and drummer did it four years ago with a sub on guitar and keys. They had a good time but... with all things that happen when members spend too much time around each other, nerves were a bit frayed upon return. In fact I think it was that week that really started the wheels turning for dismissal for one of our band members. Our singer said "never again" and seemed pretty burnt by the schedule. 8 performances x $800. Our bass player said it cost him $400... he spent his share down there and then some just drinking. (he had to fly back because of his job right after). It sounds like a fun gig... a paid vacation... but when you subtract the travel expense, agent fee and everything else we probably made almost as much playing a weekend on Block Island for $1800 per show.

I have a job that allows me to do this on a weekend... to do this a whole week and then some (with travel) my job and my wife would kill me.
:D

Block Island is a lot of fun, and a much better paying gig! They just need better rooms for the band. Key West is just a glorified vacation in all honesty. There's so much to do down there, it would be awesome if it weren't for those pesky gigs lol!

• Members

Block Island is a lot of fun, and a much better paying gig! They just need better rooms for the band. Key West is just a glorified vacation in all honesty. There's so much to do down there, it would be awesome if it weren't for those pesky gigs lol!

Did you ever play Captain Nicks? I looked forward to those shows. Too bad they cut back on bands when the economy tanked. The rooms did suck and my wife came with me both years so I got a room at one of the B&B's for $250 per night. So all my pay went to ferry, room, food and drink. Still nothing screams 'rockstar than taking a nap... getting some food then heading down to the bar where your gear is all set to change guitar strings for that nights performances. BI is a bit sleepy... I imagine Key West is better in that regard.

The rooms were like a halfway house. Our singer slept in the van it was that bad. I know one band would bring their own air conditioner (one of those portable ones). And whatever you did... NEVER miss that 3:00 ferry on Friday afternoon or you are f**ked!

• Members

Did you ever play Captain Nicks? I looked forward to those shows. Too bad they cut back on bands when the economy tanked. The rooms did suck and my wife came with me both years so I got a room at one of the B&B's for $250 per night. So all my pay went to ferry, room, food and drink.
Still nothing screams 'rockstar than taking a nap... getting some food then heading down to the bar where your gear is all set to change guitar strings for that nights performances
. BI is a bit sleepy... I imagine Key West is better in that regard.

The rooms were like a halfway house. Our singer slept in the van it was that bad. I know one band would bring their own air conditioner (one of those portable ones). And whatever you did... NEVER miss that 3:00 ferry on Friday afternoon or you are f**ked!

that is about what we do ,, only the bass player has to walk two blocks ,, the lead player drives 4 blocks ,, and I drive 3 miles. The gear is always on stage. SHow up and play. turn out the stage lights and leave.

• Members

that is about what we do ,, only the bass player has to walk two blocks ,, the lead player drives 4 blocks ,, and I drive 3 miles. The gear is always on stage. SHow up and play. turn out the stage lights and leave.

True... but you LIVE there. We roll into town as complete strangers. Still I'm jealous as hell. I'd love to have a house gig somewhere and just play barefoot all summer long. :D:thu:

• Members

True... but you LIVE there. We roll into town as complete strangers. Still I'm jealous as hell. I'd love to have a house gig somewhere and just play barefoot all summer long.
:D:thu:

Down here, most of your pay is a view of the bay ,,, but the food is good , and its like having a bar as your practice pad. Monday night is steak night ,, so we will prolly head on over , and grab dinner and me and the bass player will sit in on the third set with a duo that does mondays. Third sets with those guys is fun fun fun lol. Its a pretty tight musical community down here.

• Members

hmmm....$1862 a week per man would definitely pay my expenses for a week of fun in the sun. I'd like to get the gig the week the pyrates have their meetup down there. That would be awesome!

• Members

Did you ever play Captain Nicks? I looked forward to those shows. Too bad they cut back on bands when the economy tanked. The rooms did suck and my wife came with me both years so I got a room at one of the B&B's for $250 per night. So all my pay went to ferry, room, food and drink. Still nothing screams 'rockstar than taking a nap... getting some food then heading down to the bar where your gear is all set to change guitar strings for that nights performances. BI is a bit sleepy... I imagine Key West is better in that regard.

We were up there for a weekend last summer. The gigs were awesome! Great crowd, some really friendly people up there. The island dies off about 9 or 10 o'clock so when you're done playing there's not too much to do. And we got 6 guys put in one room that was like a sauna in august. Still a great time though.

Archived