Dance Songs for "Rock" Bands

• Members

Oh I agree. Which is why I said what we do is somewhat "in between". We don't do "rocked up" versions, per se. We tackle them by staying as close as we can to the originals with as much keys and technology as we can and then use the rest of the instruments to fill in the gaps. I'm just saying that NOT nailing those songs sound-for-sound has never seemed to be a deal-breaker on any of them thus far. I would never NOT do a song we can pull off successfully just because we can't nail the original instrumentation.

Right... you have to draw the line somewhere. And I don't think there's really any right or wrong with this stuff... it's whatever sounds good and makes people dance. It's just pretty competitive on the nightclub scene. A band with crunchy guitars and no keys covering 2-3 dance songs tune is a novelty. The same band covering 10-12 is anemic. Bands can always be limited by style, instrumentation or musicality... unless they find a great niche to work. For years I played in an 80's tribute that played ala punk style (like Me First & The Gimmee Gimmees). Were we entertaining... yes, absolutely. Did people dance... well no they probably watched and bobbed their head..... alot!

• Members
Right... you have to draw the line somewhere. And I don't think there's really any right or wrong with this stuff... it's whatever sounds good and makes people dance

Agreed.

All I'm saying is that while I think it is absolutely awesome that you guys use two keyboard players and everything else you use to nail that dance stuff as closely as you can (and I wish I was doing the same thing in many ways!) that I wouldn't get too caught up in worrying about the instances where you CAN'T. You're STILL going to be nailing it a lot closer than the guitar bands (or even the single keyboard bands :wave:) and I doubt your audiences are really going to notice as long as they dig the song and the overall show you're doing over the course of the night.

• Members

A band with crunchy guitars and no keys

I think the key word here is "crunchy". We've surprised ourselves just by taking the time to find tones that work for the songs.

I should add that I wouldn't mind also having keys in the mix.

• Members

I think the key word here is "crunchy". We've surprised ourselves just by taking the time to find tones that work for the songs.

Good point. I think arrangement has a lot to do with it. While we do use power chords to fill in songs where it seems appropriate we also spend a lot of time working out keyboard lines that I can't cover on the guitar. With the right tone it sounds more like two keys than not.

• Members
Agreed.

All I'm saying is that while I think it is absolutely awesome that you guys use two keyboard players and everything else you use to nail that dance stuff as closely as you can (and I wish I was doing the same thing in many ways!) that I wouldn't get too caught up in worrying about the instances where you CAN'T. You're STILL going to be nailing it a lot closer than the guitar bands (or even the single keyboard bands
:wave:
) and I doubt your audiences are really going to notice as long as they dig the song and the overall show you're doing over the course of the night.

There is nothing that I add as a 2nd keyboardist that can't prevent the song from being delivered if I'm not there. And that's the way I like it. I'm like the powered sugar on top of the donut... it's still a donut without that 2nd keys part, but it's just a plain ole donut. The parts that I handle alot of times are arpeggio lines on top of the main medley that you don't really miss if it's not there... but when you hear them (they are on the original track) you immediately recognize that it sounds busier... fuller. We also trigger alot of samples... drop subs, sirens, filter sweeps, and other sound effects... having four hands to manage all of that is key. And the effect on the audience is HUGE... they are engaged from the first note till the last. It compliments the energy that we are putting out there.

I just saw a great compliment on one of our fan's FB pages that said he had to convince his buddy there was a band and not a DJ at the event we played Sunday.

True Mike... it is about finding the right tone guitar wise. When you experiment you can come up with some pretty cool things. As long as the hook is there you'll have the audience. And sadly many bands will just steamroll through each song like it's a job. "One down... on to the next!"

• Members
I just saw a great compliment on one of our fan's FB pages that said he had to convince his buddy there was a band and not a DJ at the event we played Sunday.

Geez you must have put on a good show if someone in the audience didn't even realise you were there...... :poke: ;)

Archived