10 Year Anniversary of 9/11- And my gig falls right on it. (ugh)

wheresgrant3

• Members

Big weekend ahead for my band. Every year since 2004 we've closed down a summer time seasonal venue with a big party the second Sunday in September. It's usually a 6 hour drunk fest with people taking the next day off from work (or calling in late). Every year since 2005, Sept 11th has always fallen on Monday-Wednesday. Even a Saturday. This it falls on Sunday... and it's the 10 year anniversary.

This is a tricky situation, 9/11 was an emotional event for my area. Just 60 miles north of NYC, many residents from this area were either injured or lost their lives either as workers in the WTC or as firefighters, police and EMT's.. Many local construction workers went down to help with the rescue effort and cleanup. Many people (myself included) were pretty shellshocked over the events, and it was like most of 2001 just never existed for us. I was very close to the WTC when they collapsed (blocks away) and I remember getting home from the city that night, after they finally re-opened transit lines, ash & dust still in my hair vowing never to work there again. 10 years later I've kept that promise to myself.

Personally I'm looking forward to closing this chapter of the book... to move on with my life and the memories, but to really move on. The dilemma I sort of face is trying to promote this show as a fun event knowing full well the coverage will be all about the tragedy and the significance of the 10th Anniversary. I'm not worried that people won't show up, or their state of mind at the show. The people that do show up will be in full ready mode to drink that memory away or celebrate those who had fallen. I'm finding it hard though to promote this show on FB or the website with my usual flair for promoting 'the party'. I can't get too sentimental... this is not a sentimental event that we are hosting. It's not a memorial, it's not a ceremony. What we are hired for has nothing to do with 9/11. Ignoring it, isn't really an option... even for me as my mind is fixated on the event. I'm not looking for advice... just wondering from the many here "What would you do?" in this situation. ;)

• Members

If you approach the gig as anything other than business as usual, the terrorists have won.

That may seem flippant, and I recognize that ten years can be a significant milestone, but you booked the gig because you wanted to, and the venue wanted you and it's just another day, really.

• Members

If you approach the gig as anything other than business as usual, the terrorists have won.

That may seem flippant, and I recognize that ten years can be a significant milestone, but you booked the gig because you wanted to, and the venue wanted you and it's just another day, really.

Truth

I don't know if that would be too sentimental but that could be an interesting angle to take with promotions

Business as usual, we party, the terrorists didn't win

• Members

I don't know if I totally agree with everything here, but I wouldn't mention it in any advertising, etc.

• Members

I don't know if I totally agree with everything here, but I wouldn't mention it in any advertising, etc.

I echo this sentiment.

People will have their own feelings on it and get lots of coverage and time to reflect on the morning news and throughout the day. That said, there is still no reason people can't or won't go out that evening and have a great time.

• Members

It certainly is a public relations pickle, your personal feelings on the matter notwithstanding. If this is an annual event for you, your core fans are going to know this, and will most probably not associate your event with the day and/or any sort of memorial for it.

I would certainly not ignore it, but I would continue to promote it as usual. Maybe just not with the same level of flamboyance. It's a tricky situation, but you seem like an intelligent chap. You'll handle it the right way.

• Members

Our Sunday afternoon duo gig is on this 11th this month. It's going to be an interesting day. We are not in such a close proximity to the heart of the matter as you are, of course, but I was wondering myself how to approach it. I am guessing the bar will have people in drinking who are tired of watching the footage on TV all day.

I agree with Tricky that you don't need to mention the significance of the date in your advertising. Have a good show. :thu:

Archived