Two Long Sets vs Three Moderate Sets

wheresgrant3

• Members

Yes, that's a good point. It depends on the crowd and how many people are waiting. At my restaurant gig, Sometimes I take a 20 minute break, sometimes 5 or 10, sometimes I play straight through with no break at all if the crowd is lighter. The restaurant gig pays me tips and I have experienced that breaks lets people get up and leave, passing the tip jar without tipping. For some reason, they feel more compelled to tip while I'm playing.

I am sure thats true. We back a singer songwriter who has been a full time bar solo act for 16 or more years down here. I am sure he watches the room and times his breaks with the tip jar in mind. Not much gets by him on whats going on in the venue. He knows when to break and how long to break to max the ring at the bar.

• Members

Of the six rooms we've proposed this to four have accepted, one has rejected, and one more is pending. Trying it next week for the first time. Nothing will change regarding load in... we'll arrive at 8:30, set up by 9:30 and sound check by 9:45. Patrick our DJ will play from 10pm until 10:45. 10:45 we'll hit until 12:00am. DJ from 12am until 12:45 and we'll play from 12:45 until 2am. 90 mins of DJ, 2 1/2 hrs of band. I'm still not comfortable with the 45 min break... not because we'll lose the crowd (that's what the DJ is for) but because I may find a corner fall asleep during that time. :D Still I think this is the best presentation scenario for our band.

We've also raised our price $200 in the two largest local rooms we play. They didn't even flinch. One manage said he could sense it coming.:confused: We hadn't raised our rate with him since 2008. The goal is to get the remaining rooms that can manage at that same rate (two are too small and we'll keep them grandfathered) and also clean out the dead weight... a few rooms haven't been working that well and the bars aren't doing any promotion. They will decline and we can book some new rooms looking to get on the calendar.

• Members

Of the six rooms we've proposed this to four have accepted, one has rejected, and one more is pending. Trying it next week for the first time. Nothing will change regarding load in... we'll arrive at 8:30, set up by 9:30 and sound check by 9:45. Patrick our DJ will play from 10pm until 10:45. 10:45 we'll hit until 12:00am. DJ from 12am until 12:45 and we'll play from 12:45 until 2am. 90 mins of DJ, 2 1/2 hrs of band. I'm still not comfortable with the 45 min break... not because we'll lose the crowd (that's what the DJ is for) but because I may find a corner fall asleep during that time.
:D
Still I think this is the best presentation scenario for our band.

interesting concept. The only advantage about it that I can see is that it gives the band time to work the crowd doing the Howdie howdie thing since you guys have a following.

There has to be a point where the venue feels that they are getting a little too much DJ and not enough band. The bottom line is the ring though ,, so who knows you may be able to talk that ring up better than performing it up if you all work the crowd on break.

• Members

interesting concept. The only advantage about it that I can see is that it gives the band time to work the crowd doing the Howdie howdie thing since you guys have a following.

There has to be a point where the venue feels that they are getting a little too much DJ and not enough band. The bottom line is the ring though ,, so who knows you may be able to talk that ring up better than performing it up if you all work the crowd on break.

The ring is already 2-3x's the ring on a normal night with a regular band. The band is the draw and the DJ is there to keep people between sets. Since we're the only band bringing in our own DJ to mix between sets it gives him a nice showcase and lets us really put on a show, focus on our best material. And who knows, maybe that in itself gets people to spend more money. maybe someone who walked in with $150 and only planned to spend $50 instead spends $100 buying drinks for him and his friends (easy to do with NY drink prices). The point is the bar is paying us 2-3x's more than a regular band because our show is nothing like a regular band. Our suggestion is to 'loosen up', lose the 3 sets and let us put on a show. The show is more memorable, the patrons will be happier and in the end you may earn more repeat business. We'll see how long it lasts. I see nothing but upside and I have a feeling it will last a while.

• Members

Well, that's why... he knew you guys were due for a raise!

Well we've felt we've been at the pay ceiling for a while. We've tried to be a good partner through this whole recession, tired not to be greedy. We see attendance down and we know that costs have increased. Despite the downturn we're still the largest and most consistent draw by a longshot. In three years I can count on one hand the number of nights we had less than 100 in attendence. We caught wind of some bands creeping up in pay but having less than successful nights consistently. Of course that only hurts them in the end when they have 2-3 nights in the same room with inconsistent draw but are still trying to raise pay. They eventually get booted from the calendar and move on to the next room. Still, we've held steady all this time while adding members, new DJ, lighting system and a sponsorship with Jagermiester. We're certainly worth what we're charging. We've given notice of our new rate raise after Jan 1st. No bars have complained except one room. And it is a room we can afford to lose.

• Members

+1. More often than not we play longer sets and take shorter breaks simply because we're having so much fun playing.

True ,, 15 or 20 at the most. I like to play and if you break to long its easy to lose the edge you have from the previous set. I dont mind playing two hours straight if its a good night and things are really cookin.

• Members

My friend Tony Springer does one 2h-21/2hr set now. It's cool to watch but I don't know if I'd have the stamina. Gotta hand it to the guy.

Two hours with no break is a standard set at a lot of festivals. Of course, if you're playing for a few thousand people, it goes by pretty quickly.

Archived