Does an amp like this exist?

msmooth

• Members

I am joining a new project in which I will be playing electric guitar (lead and rythm) some keyboards and possibly accoustic guitar. Does anyone know of an amp I could use for all three? I really don't want to haul around extra amps. I notice that Fender has an accoustic amp that also has setting for electric guitar, which is what got me thinking about this. I am not one of these "tube amp" only guys, I use my pedals to get the sounds I want.

• Members

most would go with some type of powered speaker with an amp modeler in front. If you had a Para Acoustic DI, A decent amp sim preamp, and some type of keyboard DI, (with a little 4 channel mixer to mix into it.) you would have a versatile rig that would suit all your needs. I would look at the EV Powered Monitors, they are solid. Get one of the 15 inch ones.

If I were in your situation though, I would run a small electric rig consisting of a Deluxe Reverb or or AC30 reissue, with an overdrive, a Boost pedal, and a Line 6 m9. I would run electric through that and then run the acoustic and keyboard into the EV powered mon(as your "amp") with proper DIs and a line to the PA.

http://www.avshop.ca/sound-amp-pa-audio/speakers/powered-speakers/electro-voice-sxa-250-powered-speaker-monitor

• Members

Yeah - run the Keys and Acoustic guitar into the PA and that way you can have it come through a stage monitor so you can hear it too. Then run the guitar through an amp (depending on what type o music/sound you after - there are a lot of small/manageable amps out there) and mic it into the PA if required.

• Members

All of the above suggestions are viable depending on your personal proclivities. In the past I've used a powered PA monitor on stage, POD XTLive or BossGT10 using an amp modeler, the guitar, keys and acoustic get their own patches. The keys can go straight though the modeler or have a tube preamp which sounds quite nice. Most powered PA monitors have an XLR out to chain to another monitor, that can go to the PA. So a modeler, a powered PA monitor for on stage sound and direct to PA, pretty cheap really.

• Members

I like the suggestions of running acoustic & keys into the PA.

If you're determined to get an all-in-one amp, I suggest the Roland JC-120. I used one for electric & acoustic for 9 years.

You can run your keys & acoustic into Ch1 and electric into Ch2. The JC is about as hi-fi as a guitar amp gets, isn't particularly expensive, and will get seriously loud. It also has stereo line-outs.

Downside is that it weighs as much as two small combos tied together (~70lbs IIRC).

• Members

I am joining a new project in which I will be playing electric guitar (lead and rythm) some keyboards and possibly accoustic guitar.

For years I played guitar/keys in bands and dragged around both a guitar and a keyboard amp. In more recent times I've done my best to lighten my load. Currently I'm only carrying one amp, a Behringer K1800fx keyboard amp which I use to monitor my guitar, keys and vocals. For the least amount of cables and quickest setup time I have it setup like so:

Digitech GSP1101 guitar processor is in the mixer's rack with outputs directly into the mixer.

Privia PX-3 keyboard's outs into the K1800, K1800 outputs into stereo channel on the mixer.

With Ch4 on the K1800 set to main (speaker) out only it prevents a feedback loop and allows me to feed my guitar and any vocals back from a pre-fader monitor on the mixer.

Although this setup is the "quick and dirty" way it's not necessarily ideal. The biggest problem is that anything but clean guitar sounds can start sounding crappy through my monitor quickly even though everything sounds great out front. Fortunately I'm not much of a distortion guitar guy so it's working ok for me, however, I'm seriously considering going back to bringing my Tech 21 TM60 amp for guitar, it wouldn't add that much more to my load.

Trouble is if I do that I'll want to eliminate the GSP1101/Control Board 2 and go back to a pedal board but I've got to make it smaller than the monstrosity I created for my old analog pedals years ago..........it's always something!

Archived