Halloween Weekend- Big Gigs or Parties?

wheresgrant3

• Members

I'm being boring this year, probably won't leave my house at all until work on Monday. Life when you have no friends and a recording-only band is pretty slow :lol: With any luck though I'll have scratch demos for over half of our upcoming CD recorded by then.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People go all out on halloween down on south padre. Lots of costume contests with good cash pay outs. The home dig has a party on saturday and monday nights. Lots of bar hopping people out on the town and being seen. Its gonna be a decent weekend. I dont have to work that hard ,, play two sets , be off by 11pm. still got time to go out on the town after the show.

• Members

In Montana that would be referred to as "a light dusting of snow".
:lol:
Sorry about your gig:mad: right now it is about 50 degrees and windy here.

It's not that much here either. We've played in much more snow The problem is all the leaves are on the trees and they are falling everywhere. We lost electric about 5hrs ago. Last count there are about 75,000 customers out of power.

• Members

Doh, that sucks Grant, sorry to hear. Hate it when you have to give up great gigs.

On that note, I will be going to the bar my old band was supposed to play tonight and probably cry in my beer at the wall to wall ladies in slutty costumes having a good time while some other band plays our gig.

• Members

It's not that much here either. We've played in much more snow The problem is all the leaves are on the trees and they are falling everywhere. We lost electric about 5hrs ago. Last count there are about 75,000 customers out of power.

It sucks to miss a gig , but i am sure you didnt miss anything not getting to drive in the first snow storm of the season. Even for snow backs who grew up driving in it ,, that first storm usually ditches a lot of cars and bends fenders.

• Members

I hope this weekend doesn't suck as much as I'm afraid it is going to...

And it didn't...

We probably had one of our best performances on Friday night. We had a great crowd and we were all hitting the mark.

The place we played on Saturday booked us once a month through March, so that's cool.

I'll try to post some pics once I get them.

• Members

We are playing a pretty fun gig this sat. Halloween, dress up etc. we are all dressing as zombies, my name is Rob, so I'm going as Rob Zombie!!!!

i almost went as Rob Zombie this year, but decided to go as The Big Bad Wolf with my wife as Little Red Riding Hood instead. It was kind of fun. Maybe I'll be Rob next year.

3: our regular rate is $1600. For some reason, we are doing this for $1200. The owner is nice, but a bit on the cheap side. She's friends with a member of the band, so I think that's why. She wants us to play boxing day, but I think we are going to draw the line. We will play for $1600, and of she doesn't want to pay, we just won't play the gig. If others catch wind we gave her a deal, they will all be "well you played so & so for $1200, that's all we are going to pay"

Yeah, that's a good idea. I booked a gig a few weeks ago, and was confronted with that very thing then. "You're only making $XXXX at XXXXX, why are you charging us $XXXX?" I felt like responding, "Because of the fact that you are even asking the question, that's why." :D

Price is a touchy subject. I like playing bars where I don't have to argue about the rate and I suppose we should just keep it the same across the board. Still, that conflicts with us playing in-town gigs a lot, because a lot of them pay differently. The two places I enjoy playing also happen to pay the least. So, we might have to sacrifice those places to get what we want for a good rate, which would suck. I guess that's the way it goes, though. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Our band wants to play more often, so the difference between playing an out of town gig for $500/night and $600/night might mean we are either playing or we aren't playing. Of course, I am going to push for the higher price, but if they are only paying the lower price, we have to decide if we're going to take it and work for that. I like to play a lot, but I like weekends off too. I'd rather play for a high price once in a while than bust my ass for peanuts. Maybe in a year or two, we will have that leeway to pick and choose and say "pay us what we want or we won't play."

• Members

Ugh, just back from playing a gig where my amp died right before we began the second set. Like, I went on stage, picked up my guitar, played a note to check volume, and it just died. Had to run direct through the PA for the rest of the gig.

We played well though

• Members

Yeah, that's a good idea. I booked a gig a few weeks ago, and was confronted with that very thing then. "You're only making $XXXX at XXXXX, why are you charging us $XXXX?" I felt like responding, "Because of the fact that you are even asking the question, that's why."

Price is a touchy subject. I like playing bars where I don't have to argue about the rate and I suppose we should just keep it the same across the board. Still, that conflicts with us playing in-town gigs a lot, because a lot of them pay differently. The two places I enjoy playing also happen to pay the least. So, we might have to sacrifice those places to get what we want for a good rate, which would suck. I guess that's the way it goes, though. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Our band wants to play more often, so the difference between playing an out of town gig for $500/night and $600/night might mean we are either playing or we aren't playing. Of course, I am going to push for the higher price, but if they are only paying the lower price, we have to decide if we're going to take it and work for that. I like to play a lot, but I like weekends off too. I'd rather play for a high price once in a while than bust my ass for peanuts. Maybe in a year or two, we will have that leeway to pick and choose and say "pay us what we want or we won't play."

We are in a good position in that 9 times out of 10, there's no questions about our rate. We mainly do private parties/functions. With the $1600, everyone gets $300, and i get an extra $100 ($400 total) because the lights & sound all belong to me We also don't play out all the time. Our next gig is new years, for $2500. I'm thinking our next years New Years rate might become $3000. At $2500 though. I'll forego my extra $100, so we all get an even $500, rather than everyone get $480 and me $600. Honestly it shoulda been booked at $2600. So yeah, giving back a bit for an even Steven $500 each.

:thu:

The bar had UFC that night as well. $10 to get in for the night, UFC and the band. That kept it simple. If they came in after UFC it was still $10. They had 3 trips for prizes, Vegas, Hawaii, & Mexico. I herad the door covered all expenses. Band & UFC. Not sure if they meant the trips as well. So hopefully there isn't an issue with our full rate.

Well, either way, there won't be an issue, we'll either be playing for our full rate, or not.

:idea:

• Members

our gig was pretty much a bust.... about 50-60 people showed up, when they normally get 150-200... I think it was just the combination of other parties and the fact that Trinidad has a curfew PLUS the bar owner decided last minute to change the party from a $40TT cover to a $150TT cover but that included free rum and draft beer.... what sucked the most was we kicked ass and my recorder failed on me! apprently the 16GB SD memory card I got was too slow for it and it kept turning off... oh well.. there's always next year

• Members

We have another halloween show tonight. Halloween party on sat, jam night sunday , another halloween gig tonight. It will be interesting to see if we can get people out a third night in a row.

We were slow tonight. A few people out in costume drifted through , but things never got to the party stage. Its been a long weekend.

• Members

Just got power back an hour ago. {censored} me! 48 hours out... and I consider myself lucky. One of my bandmates is scheduled for Nov 5th. :eek: This place is a war zone right now. Trees down everywhere (including my driveway). Snow is melting pretty fast though. I see to the south (Jeff42) you guys were able to squeeze a show in. Here... no such luck. Every bar, restaurant, event in the area was cancelled. Over 90 cars were abandoned on the interstate. Took my buddy 13 1/2 hours to make it home from work (65 minute trip) due to road closures and weather.

The part that hurts is the changed landscape. I had some beautiful trees in my yard. A few dogwood and a 50 year old pear tree... down. :cry:

• Members
Just got power back an hour ago. {censored} me! 48 hours out... and I consider myself lucky. One of my bandmates is scheduled for Nov 5th.
:eek:
This place is a war zone right now. Trees down everywhere (including my driveway). Snow is melting pretty fast though. I see to the south (Jeff42) you guys were able to squeeze a show in. Here... no such luck. Every bar, restaurant, event in the area was cancelled. Over 90 cars were abandoned on the interstate. Took my buddy 13 1/2 hours to make it home from work (65 minute trip) due to road closures and weather.

The part that hurts is the changed landscape. I had some beautiful trees in my yard. A few dogwood and a 50 year old pear tree... down.
:cry:

That sucks, Grant! Glad you're OK, though. :thu:

Archived