Intro & request your thoughts: Did I do the right thing?

Roxtar40

• Members

Greetings! Been in the cover band and solo artist scene for maybe 5 years (I'm a vocalist/front man and guitarist). It's nice to read a forum where people have experienced all the ups and downs I have and everyone is supportive of one another. I can't tell you how many other places I've been where you mention "cover" and get ripped to shreds.

My question to you based on your experiences or opinion. Over the summer I stepped down from my band. It had become work; I have sciatica so it was painful standing for 4 hours a night; and I'm no spring chicken. I just turned 45 and have 3 teens at home and one in college. Getting in at 3AM and up at 7AM for a baseball game was not helping my sanity. I immediately went solo doing unplugged rock and power pop songs. I never had to shop for gigs; they came to me. Once or twice a month was my goal, and the money was much better than our band experience.

Last month (October), I was scheduled to play a local hotel lounge for 3 hours for $150 guarantee. I did this same gig in August and came out with $200 free and clear including tips. I run my own PA, so I have no overhead costs. I have a good relationship with the couple that own/manage the bar. The night of the gig, I had the van loaded and ready to roll but we were getting a freaky fall storm here in Ohio. It was torrential rain, flooded streets, etc. So I phoned the bar and spoke to the owner about whether he considered it a good night for a gig. He said the crowd was extremely light (Wednesday night) due to the weather...I said I didn't want to take his money to play to an empty house. It felt like we both agreed to do each other a favor and not have the live music that night.

Like a lot of things said, afterward, I was questioning if I did the right thing by calling and asking for his opinion. In the band, we played hard to a full house and sometimes a not so full house. The difference was it was often not a guarantee. So if people didn't come through the door or buy alcohol, it was sort of on us. In this case, I felt bad taking their money but I also felt bad about not playing.

Thoughts? I think I will be getting booked into their regular schedule for 2012, so I don't think it will be held against me, but it was certainly an usual circumstance.

Thanks,

Mitch

• Members

I'd call him up and talk to him straight up. Tell him what you told us: that after your conversation you started having second thoughts that MAYBE you weren't both on the same page about him not playing the gig. And that if he wanted you regardless of the size of the crowd, you'd be more than happy to do it. You should know within 5 seconds by the tone of his voice whether he's going to hold it against you and whether you should do it the next time the weather is bad or not.

Archived