Is there a "Backing Tracks 101" somewhere?

• Members

Were they on something like a Studer or Ampeg reel? What a mess that must have been. Great video, there are a couple more out there from this same gig. Love it.

Can't speak for back in the day.

I know first hand that at least in recent years, it's all stored on hard drives/sequenced.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does your programmer give you two bars of click before the sequence kicks in? Any vocal cues in your mix? Some of the best tracks I've used have had the programmer speaking the title, the amount of count in, the count in with the click and then cues such as "...bridge coming up in 3, 2, 1". "..ending with a double shot in two bars....." well you get it.

We've standardized on click intros for songs now where a song I start alone gets a 4 count, and a song anybody else starts/where we come in together gets 4 and then 4 more...this allows me to hear and count everyone else in.

There was a period early on in the band where there were a handful of exceptions, and that got tough for me to remember: which 3-4 songs out of 60 DON'T have the same intro counts again...?

So we identified the ones that stood out and edited them. Easy enough.

No other cues in the tracks like the Bono IEM mix. Iveseen that before, but we don't need that level of cueing.

Titles arent necessary either; ivegot that on screen when I pull up a given song in our master list.

• Members

I have noticed a disturbing trend here in Australia for backing tracks to basically be karaoke. I've seen a few duos using them recently and basically the tracks are a studio produced covers including all guitars and backup vocals and fx. The performers really could stop and nobody would notice.

Midi is not enough but these produced karaoke tracks are too much. Sadly most punters don't seem to notice or care.

Archived