Accept the BWTB "Suck Less" Challenge!

Lee Flier

• Members

In light of some of the recent discussion around here, it seems that most of us are of the opinion that a large percentage of bands really suck and aren't willing to work at getting better.

I'm sure this doesn't describe any of US, though, right? :D We all know that there are things we could all stand to do to get better - whether musically or presentation-wise or any other area where you feel you don't quite have it together. And we all know that competition among peers can be motivating, like when you make a pledge with some friends to lose weight or whatever.

So... what are the areas you feel that your own band could most stand to improve, and would really take you up a notch? Free free to state a timeframe for doing these things, so we can all motivate each other to stick with it.

I'll post my own in a separate post... if you guys think this is a good idea. :D

• Members

I already posted a thread a couple of days ago about a video that someone put online that didn't capture my band in our best light. Hopefully it ends up having positive effects.

After my singer emailing me that she thinks should be fired after hearing her vocal, and my drummer telling me how appalled he was that he looked like he was half asleep behind the drums, we've all taken it to mean that if we are going to sell ourselves as a 'party band' it just might behoove us to make sure we act and look like one at all times on stage. When we're on stage, we're performing and we all must, to the best of our ability, never lose sight of that fact and try to remember that somebody's camera might (and probably is) on us at any moment.

• Members

Cool. Are you going to start videotaping yourselves more so you can see what kind of effect your efforts are having? Howp will you work on your "stage presence" without it feeling too forced?

Yes, video taping ourselves more will be a certainty. We don't necessarily need to work on our stage presence. We all know what we need to do and are good at doing it when we're "on". The trick is to work on being "on" all the time.

As we all know, it can be tough to be "on" for the length of an entire gig. Especially during the gig that, for whatever reason, might not be the most fun. This particular gig, the drummer and the bass player were fighting on stage over tempos. And the gig was a nice, but fairly low-key (and very low-volume) wedding with a lot of older folks in attendance. Borrrrring, right? But so what? They paid good money for a full-on "party band"--these people deserve their money's worth! So we just have to work that much harder in the future to all be "on" as much as we can.

The good news is actually the gig went quite well. We just got a 'rave' review today from the bride. Feels like a dodged-bullet, but whatever...she loved it...that's all that matters. But there's still the issue of random video of us that ends up online that might get in the hands of a potential client who hasn't seen us before. No way to control that. The only thing we can control we doing our best to look our best at all times.

• Members

At this point it's presentation and building a following. Some of the band think we are doing just fine, but 3/4 of us are pushing hard to raise the bar and are of the opinion we'll do whatever it takes. Figuring out what it takes is where we are right now, and part of the reason I spend so much time on here!

• Members

and part of the reason I spend so much time on here!

This place has been great for me. I not only learned a ton from other bands and have stolen a lot of great ideas, but simply just having the sounding board to bounce ideas off of people or sometimes just to air out my own thoughts has been an enormous help. See other band's videos is great too. I have no doubt we're a much better band due to this forum than we would be otherwise.

• Members

Yes, video taping ourselves more will be a certainty. We don't necessarily need to work on our stage presence. We all know what we need to do and are good at doing it when we're "on". The trick is to work on being "on" all the time.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I hear ya. This is something we've talked about also. Actually one thing we've committed to do is get in better physical shape - at least, me and our bass player. Drummer already runs and works out. I've been working way too much and sitting behind a computer the past couple of years, not getting enough exercise, and sometimes I can feel it on stage. Not good.

I also want to work on my acoustic chops more. I don't really gig out with an acoustic, but I think it helps my overall playing when I've got it goin' n with acoustic. Plus it helps for songwriting... which is another thing I want to do more of. Haven't written a new song in awhile. Again, too much work time. :( But that's easing up to semi normal levels now, so I'll have more time for music. :thu:

We have a CD that's been "nearly done" for a long damn time now. And I think it'll be really good but we (well, mainly me at this point) gotta put in the time to get it wrapped up. Then we want to make sure we really do the promo stuff right - promotion is our definite weak spot and we're determined to put more effort into that.

There's probably a lot more stuff but I don't want to get too depressed thinking about it - at least not till I'm in better shape. :D

• Members

Ah, I see. Yeah, I hear ya. This is something we've talked about also. Actually one thing we've committed to do is get in better physical shape - at least, me and our bass player.

Working out is SO important as you get older. At least doing cardio regularly so you have better stamina to get through longer gigs. We all do that and that certainly helps. And yes. I need to do it even more!

So sad it's almost funny: we've got three one nighters in a row in three different cities coming up in a couple of weeks. The band is practically in a panic over how we're going to do it all physically. We're already working out our sleep schedules. 30 years ago I'd have done the three nights without any sleep at all if I needed to..... :facepalm:

The other thing is "how do you fake it when you're not feeling it". What do you do when the gig just sucks or you're in a bad mood for some other reason?

My suggestion is always just try to tap into SOMETHING that is working. If you feel that boredom coming on, open your mind a bit. Look around. There's usually SOMETHING that can be inspiring. Maybe your tone is pretty nice tonight. Or there's a riff you just played really well. Or you just nailed that harmony vocal. Or a pretty girl/handsome guy just smiled at you. Whatever. Focus on that and tap into that energy and make that your focus for the next song and then one song leads to another...

• Members

This place has been great for me. I not only learned a ton from other bands and have stolen a lot of great ideas, but simply just having the sounding board to bounce ideas off of people or sometimes just to air out my own thoughts has been an enormous help. See other band's videos is great too. I have no doubt we're a much better band due to this forum than we would be otherwise.

I have no doubt that without the insight of this forum I would be stuck in a band full of folks that don't care, playing to empty rooms - wait, I would have given up by now.

• Members

Working out is SO important as you get older.

Yup. And usually I do stay in shape but it's been a pretty nutty last couple of years for various reasons. That's gotta change.

So sad it's almost funny: we've got three one nighters in a row in three different cities coming up in a couple of weeks. The band is practically in a panic over how we're going to do it all physically. We're already working out our sleep schedules. 30 years ago I'd have done the three nights without any sleep at all if I needed to.....
:facepalm:

Oh, those don't really scare us. Happy to say we've held up very well on those trips. :lol:

The other thing is "how do you fake it when you're not feeling it". What do you do when the gig just sucks or you're in a bad mood for some other reason?

I honestly can say I can't even remember the last time that happened. I could be in the worst mood and getting onstage will get me right out of it. Even if the gig sucks for whatever reason, I still just love playing and particularly with the guys I play with. So we can usually feed off each other and make something happen.

So we don't lack for genuine enthusiasm, but you know how it goes - sometimes your body language doesn't quite reflect how you're feeling and you have to make a conscious effort to express yourself physically.

• Members

You've described this challenge in terms of "we" and "us", but I'm fairly certain that forumites are more motivated than average to kick it up a notch or we wouldn't be here. The reality, as I see it, is that every band goes as far as they can but are limited by the "weakest" member. One guy may hold the group back visually, another musically, another with general attitude, etc. Audio/video is a great tool, but some guys are more motivated than others to work on their game. The drummer in the trio I quit a few months ago made it very clear this was just for fun and he wasn't going to put forth much effort at all to add anything to his current arsenal, such as it was. I've tried to fight that sort of thing, and it only creates friction. Right now, I'm dealing with a guy who is very much a "perfectionist", so I'm getting some of my own medicine.

You can lead by example, try to learn to accept others' hard wired short comings (as well as your own) and that's about it.

. . . . or quit/get fired, and do the whole musical chairs thing all over again.

• Members

You can lead by example, try to learn to accept others' hard wired short comings (as well as your own) and that's about it.

. . . . or quit/get fired, and do the whole musical chairs thing all over again.

Well, that's the key to being in a "band" is finding that groove within everyone's strengths/weaknesses.

• Members

I play in two bands. One is a specialty group the specializes in old time fiddle and mandolin music. We have been together for 2 years now. It's all acoustic so we aren't a really "party" band unless you like to get down to old time Irish and French Canadian fiddle tunes. The other band I am in is in it's formative stages and it's an all blues band. In the last year we have gone through a piano player and another guitarist. We did several gigs with this line up but now we are just a trio. We have been getting material together as a three piece and are now ready to record a demo to pass out to venues in an effort to start getting some gigs.

• Members

Vocals Vocals and More Vocals for us.

We are a 4 piece and have a frontman who sings 90% of the nite.The bassist and I have spent quite a bit of time getting the Harmony vocals down,and while we have come a good ways since he joined the band in March we are still meeting anytime we can and with the lead vocalist sit down with an acoustic guitar and getting as close to perfect as we can.

guido61 has posted many times that GREAT vocals are what makes a band great and i couldnt agree more.

• Members

Well, that's the key to being in a "band" is finding that groove within everyone's strengths/weaknesses.

Sure, but it get tricky in the context of this thread. It's that thing about knowing what you can change, what you can't, being able to tell the difference, etc, etc . . .

• Members

Sure, but it get tricky in the context of this thread. It's that thing about knowing what you can change, what you can't, being able to tell the difference, etc, etc . . .

Sure, but there's always something any of us could do to challenge ourselves, even if the bandmates won't necessarily get on board. On the other hand if they're that unwilling to keep improving, maybe the challenge is to find some better bandmates. :lol:

• Members

Yep. This thread is about knowing what you can change and working on them and that, of course, involves everyone being on the same page about those things.

• Members

Solo guy approach...

I make excuses all the time. I've been more diligent with adding material in the past year than I have ever been in my life. Obviously it's easier for me, but I've been adding 3-5 tunes a week for a few months. They don't all stay in the set though. HERE'S THE PROBLEM. I'm lazy and don't learn songs that challenge me. If I cant learn it in the afternoon and play in that night, then I'm not going to learn it. I'll sit down and learn a Beatles, Pearl Jam or Jason Mraz tune, but you wont see me learning some insane Dave Matthews tune or The Rain Song by Jimmy Page (Zep). I know I'm capable but I still neglect the tough stuff.

I'll be honest...I can easily continue this approach- impress people with a giant setlist of tunes done well and always being that human jukebox. OR I could learn some difficult intricate music that people will walk away saying, "Holy {censored} I cant believe he can play that". I dunno...

• Members

I'll be honest...I can easily continue this approach- impress people with a giant setlist of tunes done well and always being that human jukebox. OR I could learn some difficult intricate music that people will walk away saying, "Holy {censored} I cant believe he can play that". I dunno...

I say stay with the easy/giant setlist stuff but have one or two "holy {censored}" songs in the setlist just to throw people off balance.

• Members

I feel like our biggest weakness as a band is intros. There's too much tie in between songs and a lot of blown intros. To combat that, I've developed an excercise we're going to try at rehearsal Tuesday. I'm writing our master list on flash cards, shuffling them, and putting them in a pile. Pick on, drummer counts, and we go IMMEDIATELY. 30 minutes of nothing but intro practice. We'll see how it helps.

Personally, I need to work on better stage presense as a front person. I'm working on this by taping and watching every show we do. One thing I'm amazed at is how exagerated my motions need to be to get the desired effect. Garth Brooks used to talk about how he wanted to make sure he was reaching out to the fartherest seat, and I kind of now understand what he was talking about.

• Members

Our main issue is we're excellent musicians, but somewhat challenged showmanship-wise. It's something we've been actively working on, both within our current lineup but also are trying to bring a new front person into the band who's main role will be to provide that outgoing, party presence.

Archived