Best press kit or artist promo photos you've ever seen

rlm297

• Members

We've kinda dropped the ball on this. A venue rep asked for a promo kit last weekend and we don't have anything current. We're scrambling to get something ready but our drummer is out of town for two weeks - so no chance to take better pics. :facepalm:.

• Members

The best promo paks and photos are more about function than art, IMO. Especially for cover bands. There is a recent trend for band websites to take on the look of a Facebook layout page which, while I personally find to be very unappealing asthetically, I suppose works well for reaching a particular demographic. Many people associate that layout with professional and comfortable. And I think trying too hard to be artistic can often be a mistake unless you really hit the nail on the head of what you're trying to say.

A great promo shot helps convey the sound and style of the band. Unless you're just fantastically handsome or beautiful, few people care what any the members of your band actually look like. They just want to know who you are. So I've always thought promo shots with a great sense of 'style' were best.

Here's the website and promo shots of a semi-local mostly original music band I've recently become a big fan of. While it could be argued that they try a bit too hard to be 'stylistic', they 100% succeed in getting their image across to people who haven't even yet heard their music and do so in a professional manner, IMO.

http://bgypsies.com/

Recently, a Facebook page was created for Las Vegas bands from the 80s and I've been reliving a lot of old memories through that page. Sadly, most of the old promo shots look like they belong on that rockandrollconfidential page, but an old one of one my bands was posted that I hadn't seen in years that I thought held up pretty nicely. It looks VERY 1982, but I think still conveyed a good sense of who we were trying to be at the time. I never liked the shot much myself at the time because I always thought I looked like a doofus kneeling in the window frame, but 30 years later I was struck with a nice sense of .... that wasn't half bad!

394272_3333110417985_1994162298_n.jpg

• Members

Somebody had to.

No, they didn't.

But since you did, I'll tell you that while I personally didn't like any of the photos we took from that shoot and I lobbyed for a reshoot (but was outvoted), it does still convey the sense of 'fun' that is a big part of what we try to sell.

And at least I'm not kneeling in a broken window pane.

Here's some other examples of local area bands' websites and pics I think hit their mark pretty well:

http://notoriousrocks.com/blog/

http://www.wonderbread5.com/

http://www.popfictionlive.com/

• Members

No, they didn't.

But since you did, I'll tell you that while I personally didn't like any of the photos we took from that shoot and I lobbyed for a reshoot (but was outvoted), it does still convey the sense of 'fun' that is a big part of what we try to sell.

And at least I'm not kneeling in a broken window pane.

Here's some other examples of local area bands' websites and pics I think hit their mark pretty well:

It's definitely consistent with what you were saying. The funny thing is I was about to go find the broken window pane on my band's page. I guess we didn't quite go there. I am actually pretty smiley onstage, but the overall tone isn't so much. So you get deep thought and glaring mostly out of our promo photos.

• Members

Obviously I'm a big "image" guy. I think every band needs to have a basic overall image and pretty much every aspect of what they do needs to reflect and accentuate that.

If at anytime you're showing somebody your promo shot or your video or someone has caught the last half of your second set and you find yourself apologizing or making excuses: "we actually a lot more exciting than that on stage." or "you caught a couple of our worst songs", then the band has failed. If you can't tell what the band is all about in a few seconds of looking at their promo kit or video or stage show, then you've missed some major opportunities to win over fans. It shouldn't be a mystery or a guessing game.

The best bands throughout history have been pretty much instantly recognizable visually and musically and it was all tied in together.

I don't think it took too much to figure out what any of these bands were selling musically.

led-zepplelin-band-7.jpg

heartlittlequeen.jpg

647519_356x237.jpg

Beatles%20running.jpg

Archived