Who's still making and posting flyers for gigs out in the real-world?

rog951

• Members

True, however the needle swings the other way from your example as well...

I live in a City (with a capital 'C') with nearly 10x the total population of your local 4 'city' combo...not counting the volume of people living in the burbs immediately bordering it or further out (Total for the metro area is roughly 9.7 m; total for my county alone is 5.2 m).

You can bet that
BECAUSE
of the size of the city I live in, there are plenty of areas where postering/flyering can make tons of sense for a band. We don't just have a single club, record or music store standing alone...there are entire neighborhoods known as being artist-friendly, etc., with shop after shop that have windows full of posters for shows...and those places/displays can, will, and do drive traffic for a band based on the posters being seen alone...assuming the band is good/known/etc.

Aside from name recognition or quality of the band, though...the factors that will determine if the poster drives traffic in my market, though, are (a) if you're an originals act or a cover band (cover bands only poster in the venues they play, IME, orignals acts poster in public places for the most part) and (b) the venue the band is at. If it's a known entity established 'good' club, it works. If you're playing the corner dive, etc.,...not so much.

Agreed - it's all about knowing the market you serve. I've lived in college towns with a distinct downtown "entertainment" district ... lots of foot traffic, complete with kiosks and areas specifically intended for postering. Play in that world and posters are a requird part of the marketing approach. In my town - we have no downtown area, there is virtually noplace where there's concentrated pedestrian traffic. We've got malls and outlying "big box" stores and eateries - non of which are "poster friendly". If you've got somewhere to hang posters that is effective - by all means - poster it. For some markets - it's simply not an effective use of time and resources.

• Moderators

I think they're still worthwhile if you're playing in the city and you can post them where people actually walk past them can read them. Not sure how much good it does in rural areas and the 'burbs where people are just driving past and can't actually read them, though. Still good to have them to post in clubs, even then.

I think this pretty much sums it up. :thu:

• Moderators

"Oh! Check out this poster. Some guy named Darrell Porter is playing one of the 75 venues in our area on Wednesday. We should go", said no one ever.

But I don't think that's really the idea behind printed fliers. I think the purpose is more:

a)so the people who do know your name already will notice, and consider going to the show

b)secondarily, to put your name "out there" with the goal of making is more familiar when people see/hear it

• Members

If you're based in Worthington Minnesota - it's pretty clear that we're working in two radically different markets. If the census data and maps I found for Worthington on Google are accurate - it looks like you're in a town with a population of roughly 13,000 and roughly 30 miles from the next town of any size.

My city has a population of roughly 29,000. We sit in the middle of a mosiac of suburban cities in Detroit's northern suburbs. The 4 cities that surround us have a combined population of roughly 300,000. We have no "downtown" per se ... and nothing that remotely passes for a pedestrian business district.

Trying to "paper" local businesses with posters would be like trying throwing a handful of water purification tablets into the Atlantic and expecting it made a difference. How one goes about marketing a band in a small town is different than how one markets in a major metropolitan area. The markets are simply very different beasts.

Ditto... Demographics has everything to do with that success rate.

Our market is three counties 40miles by 60 miles. Three small cities that are 25 miles in distance from each other and range in population 25-30K people. There are alot of smaller towns and villages all 5-8 miles from each other with alot of farmland in between. A rural area that is quickly becoming suburban. People tend to drive 15 minutes to 45 mins to see us perform. Yet there isn't a single spot where I would think to hang a poster. People here drive everywhere and people are so plugged into the internet. I almost laugh when I hear bar owners spent $XXX for a newspaper ad, yet haven't spent a dime to upgrade their website or start a FB page. The posters are for the venues only. They do work, but for the most part our following is connected to our website or FB for updates.

• Members

But I don't think that's really the idea behind printed fliers. I think the purpose is more:

a)so the people who
do
know your name already will notice, and consider going to the show

b)secondarily, to put your name "out there" with the goal of making is more familiar when people see/hear it

Sure I get it... If someone knows my name they're probably going to be a friend on Facebook or know my website. If they frequent the venues I'm playing then they know me from there. For me, again just me, hanging a poster in a supermarket or on a pole will do nothing for me other than waste my time. It's hard enough to get people that know me to come to gig let alone someone picking up bread and milk. ;)

• Members

Sorry to digress a bit but Potts just reminded me of something...

I've been doing flyers and posters latly and that worked well for increasing show antecedence but I don't seem to be able to get more FB "likes".

There was a time were all I was doing was trying to get noticed on facebook and that made some results online (FB Likes and youtube "views") but not in show attendance.

So I realized that I've created an "internet audience" and a "live audience". I'm having trouble merging them together...

And off course I put the FB URL on every thing. I even use a QR code on the flyers! LOL

• Members

Sure I get it... If someone knows my name they're probably going to be a friend on Facebook or know my website. If they frequent the venues I'm playing then they know me from there. For me, again just me, hanging a poster in a supermarket or on a pole will do nothing for me other than waste my time. It's hard enough to get
people that know me
to come to gig let alone someone picking up bread and milk.
;)

I take it you do all your own advertising? Have you ever spent any time studying marketing, advertising and placement?

• Members

This is always an interesting topic...I really think it all depends on the area you're in, the type and "level" of gig you're playing, etc. etc.

I know back when I was gigging and playing there were a few bandmembers I had that were obsessed with putting up flyers (mind you this was 7 or 8 years before the whole internet social media explosion) but I personally thought that for what we were doing it was a complete and utter waste of time and money. Personally I think now with the whole aforementinoed internet social media explosion they're more pointless than ever, but again that's just my opinion, and I think it really doesboil down to the individual circumstance.

• Members

I take it you do all your own advertising? Have you ever spent any time studying marketing, advertising and placement?

Really? Before you start any type of condescending remarks or anything I'll answer politely. Yes I have studied marketing, PR and advertising. I have a degree in it and I'm also currently working on another degree in public communications with an emphasis in PR. I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

As far as posters go? Along with there being absolutely no benefit in hanging posters in places other than the venues I perform at, I'd also go broke. I've been playing 175 dates a year for years. I will be so bold as to state that there are at least 10 other ways to better spend your money and time regarding advertising.

• Members

Really? Before you start any type of condescending remarks or anything I'll answer politely. Yes I have studied marketing, PR and advertising. I have a degree in it and I'm also currently working on another degree in public communications with an emphasis in PR. I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

As far as posters go? Along with there being absolutely no benefit in hanging posters in places other than the venues I perform at, I'd also go broke. I've been playing 175 dates a year for years. I will be so bold as to state that there are at least 10 other ways to better spend your money and time regarding advertising.

Seriously? You're gonna' get all pissy because I asked if you'd studied marketing and advertising? Do you think I knew you were/had? You give me way too much credit if you think I know the background of strangers on the interwebz. It's interesting that you'd warn me not to be condescending and then in turn write such a condescending response. A little thin skinned?

• Members

Seriously? You're gonna' get all pissy because I asked if you'd studied marketing and advertising? Do you think I knew you were/had? You give me way too much credit if you think I know the background of strangers on the interwebz. It's interesting that you'd warn me not to be condescending and then in turn write such a condescending response. A little thin skinned?

Come on Alan give me a break. You just thought my "take" was so intriguing and genius that you thought you'd ask me if I got all this knowledge by studying marketing. That was not the intent of your post. Nice try though.

• Members

a)so the people who
do
know your name already will notice, and consider going to the show

correct on both accounts.

• Members

Come on Alan give me a break. You just thought my "take" was so intriguing and genius that you thought you'd ask me if I got all this knowledge by studying marketing. That was not the intent of your post. Nice try though.

Actually, I didn't think your "take" was intriguing or genius. You were talking about hanging fliers in supermarkets and on poles. Not to mention the less than eye catching examples you posted that you send out to your followers on FB informing them of the bands' music that you cover. They don't already know that? Maybe that space would be better spent telling them about yourself and why they should come see you instead of me. But, as you like to say, "that's just my opinion".

Why are you so intent on telling other people what their intentions of their posts are?

• Members

The more I think about it, the more I can see where flyers would be a waste of time in some situations, while in others, they would be useful.

It's the difference between a well-established act that plays the same rooms over and over (let's say, for example, Potts as a solo act or Grant's Nuts In A Blender band) and a newer band that's just getting started (essentially my own group, which has only been around about a year and a half).

If I'm interested in seeing a new band, I want to see some promo first. I don't usually just go to a bar because the marquee has a new name I haven't seen before. I'd prefer to see some posters or flyers, maybe even a write-up in the local music rag. If I get some more information about them from that, I might be interested enough to check them out.

Now, if it's one of the bands that have been around for 10-30 years or so, they don't really need to have posters up. Everyone who has been around in town should already know what these bands are all about and what kind of experience you can expect from them. The only time they would need them is if they were expanding into a new market or simply a bar in a town they never played before.

We're still new, so we pretty much need to plaster our mugs around the place to get a following going. The more people see our faces, the more they will (hopefully) associate that with the band name and then come see us.

• Members

Actually, I didn't think your "take" was intriguing or genius.

Exactly..you just bolstered my previous point.

Not to mention the less than eye catching examples you posted that you send out to your followers on FB informing them of the bands' music that you cover

I don't send them to anyone- they get posted on my wall. Kind of like a telephone pole. And look up the term "Form Follows Function" in design and graphics - it will explain the simplicity of text only images.

• Members
The more I think about it, the more I can see where flyers would be a waste of time in some situations, while in others, they would be useful.

It's the difference between a well-established act that plays the same rooms over and over (let's say, for example, Potts as a solo act or Grant's Nuts In A Blender band) and a newer band that's just getting started (essentially my own group, which has only been around about a year and a half).

If I'm interested in seeing a new band, I want to see some promo first. I don't usually just go to a bar because the marquee has a new name I haven't seen before. I'd prefer to see some posters or flyers, maybe even a write-up in the local music rag. If I get some more information about them from that, I might be interested enough to check them out.

Now, if it's one of the bands that have been around for 10-30 years or so, they don't really need to have posters up. Everyone who has been around in town should already know what these bands are all about and what kind of experience you can expect from them. The only time they would need them is if they were expanding into a new market or simply a bar in a town they never played before.

We're still new, so we pretty much need to plaster our mugs around the place to get a following going. The more people see our faces, the more they will (hopefully) associate that with the band name and then come see us.

or to tell the people who want to see them, when and where they are playing.

• Members

(I could have sworn I posted in a thread similar to this one).

I do all the print, internet and social media for our band (except for Twitter which the bass player handles better).

We are still a relatively unknown cover band and play a certain venue fairly regular. We have gone from blanketing the whole area with B&W posters to a lot fewer, more strategically placed posters done in colour.

To be honest I am pretty skeptical on the effectiveness of posters - especially relative to the effort to create and distribute them. But until our FB numbers are higher I think I am stuck with it.

Archived