Poster Issue - Advice

MikeyParent

• Members

OK in a previous topic I mentioned that we have scaled down our postering efforts to basically just the venue itself because we believe the random mass plastering everywhere approach doesnt seem to be much bang for the buck. Fewer posters but larger, and in color and strategically placed.

I dropped off 11X17 full color posters on mid-day Tuesday for a show on Friday (a regular venue we play in) . Now it's Thursday afternoon and the manager has not put one in the display case out front yet (I work literally across the street so I can see from my office window). I am afraid to go in there and check to see if the washroom ones have been put up or not.

Last time same thing happened and I gently prodded him (over FB) about it and it got done, but I am trying to straddle the line here between making sure the posters get up (full colour 11X17's arent going to ruin me financially but I dont want to be throwing money away either) and becoming an irritance the manager - who has treated us very well and been very supportive otherwise.

Any helpful suggestions?

• Members

OK in a previous topic I mentioned that we have scaled down our postering efforts to basically just the venue itself because we believe the random mass plastering everywhere approach doesnt seem to be much bang for the buck. Fewer posters but larger, and in color and strategically placed.

I dropped off 11X17 full color posters on mid-day Tuesday for a show on Friday (a regular venue we play in) . Now it's Thursday afternoon and the manager has not put one in the display case out front yet (I work literally across the street so I can see from my office window). I am afraid to go in there and check to see if the washroom ones have been put up or not.

Last time same thing happened and I gently prodded him (over FB) about it and it got done, but I am trying to straddle the line here between making sure the posters get up (full colour 11X17's arent going to ruin me financially but I dont want to be throwing money away either) and becoming an irritance the manager - who has treated us very well and been very supportive otherwise.

Any helpful suggestions?

ABSOF**KINGLUTELY! Posters are an expense... whether it's in the cost in printing them, the cost in delivering or the time to them from point A to B. There was a point several years ago when we slacked on posters and one venue read us the Riot Act. Well since then we supply every venue 6-8, 20x30 posters 3 weeks in advance and we expect them up by 2 weeks. The venues that slag we talk to about it. We're firm... either put them up or we'll stop supplying them. Now we're in a different position than you playing for a gaurantee. We also have our posters provided by our sponsor. It still takes time and money to deliver them. When we run out we have to print them ourselves.

• Members

It doesn't help in this situation but in the future You HAVE to put them up yourself. even if it means waiting around for awhile until the guy gets a second to open the case while you're there.

Ya I guess I am gonna have to go that route - we have two more shows there coming up in the next month.

PS: I popped in and the bathroom ones werent done either :/

• Members

Gentle reminder did it. Along with a promise on my part to get him the posters much earlier (my bad).

I was going to mention this...

Tuesday drop-off ahead of a Friday gig? Many venue managers I know would have dumped your posters straight in the garbage; they want them up 2 weeks in advance, period.

• Members

+1

If he has a built in crowd the posters don't do much good since the people are probably going to show up regardless of whose playing if this is the "cool" hangout to be going to. If it's not the cool hangout to be going to then that equates to not much traffic in the club anyway so the posters would be ineffective. In the world of facebook (and myspace to a lesser extent), emails and facebook postings are probably more effective at reaching your intended audience than any poster you hang up in the club. My two cents.

You actually have washrooms in NS?
:lol:

Unless they aren't the only band who draws.

• Members

I was going to mention this...

Tuesday drop-off ahead of a Friday gig? Many venue managers I know would have dumped your posters straight in the garbage; they want them up 2 weeks in advance, period.

There were extenuating circumstances but ya I do need to get them there sooner. I am not sure if it will make a difference but it is something I should be doing.

• Members

Just to add to the misery, put posters up at least the Friday of the weekend before your show. Why miss the weekend crowd? I usually put mine up two weekends in advance.

The issue there is poster space is limited and we are then bumping into the band/event who is there that weekend. And he is only there on weekdays - the washroom and marquee poster areas are locked enclosures.

• Members

The issue there is poster space is limited and we are then bumping into the band/event who is there that weekend.

If the band playing this, or any venue on Friday or Saturday is relying on drawing bodies by someone seeing their poster the night before and then coming back, they have issues that can't adequately be addressed in this forum.

• Members

If the band playing this, or any venue on Friday or Saturday is relying on drawing bodies by someone seeing their poster the night before and then coming back, they have issues that can't adequately be addressed in this forum.

Ideally we would want the posters up on the Monday but I hear what you're saying. Again, I really am not sure posters are working out for us.

• Members

More reason then to be focused on your target audience via a medium like facebook or myspace rather than a poster ...

Facebook, on average reaches about 25% of your total audience, of which a small portion is likely to go to that venue. It's not enough. Promo is posters plus phone plus email plus social media plus press. Facebook takes nothing, and hanging posters won't preclude you from using Facebook.

My point is, if another band brings people there, or if people walk by there, they see the poster. I've never met a promoter who thought we should move all our eggs to Facebook. Also, flyers are better than posters IMO, so interested people can take one. Yes, your rate of return on Facebook is better, but that's easy when it takes literally nothing to do. On an off night, places will be more forgiving if you've used all your channels to promote.

Archived