The Brewpub Saga has ended!

jeff42

• Members

Sometimes, I have felt that for the good of mankind . . . . or at least for my peers who might have to deal with this sort of nonsense in the future . . . . I've decided to set someone like her straight. You do it as diplomatically as you can. She sent you the last email, right? The ball's in your court if you wish to continue playing. So tell her exactly what the issues are. You can even include a regret regarding posting prematurely on facebook about the other gig.

Yeah, it's tilting at windmills, but maybe . . . just maybe . . . . it will get through once in a while, and it will make you feel better.

Something about my personality makes it difficult for me to allow idiots to believe they're right when they clearly don't understand what's going on. . . . and yes, people have flipped this whole thing on me before when they thought I didn't get it. Maybe that explains it.

I'm the same way. Sugar coating is most definitely not my forte. Some people despise me for it, some people are fine with it. But either way everyone on both sides of the fence know that I'm going to be blunt, straight forward, and honest whether they like what I have to say or not. Granted, there's no reason to be rude, just be honest.

• Members

I'm the same way. Sugar coating is most definitely not my forte. Some people despise me for it, some people are fine with it. But either way everyone on both sides of the fence know that I'm going to be blunt, straight forward, and honest whether they like what I have to say or not. Granted, there's no reason to be rude, just be honest.

Often as not, we're not looking at sugar coating, but rather just avoiding it . . . letting it go.

Sometimes people actually appreciate your direct approach.

Once in a while, you'll learn something yourself.

Be respectful and have it out.

• Members

As was said before - she said you sent her a signed contract which she signed and returned?

If thats the case - you agreed to play the show via contract - and i think the way you handled things was poor.

I understand you arent the right fit - that part makes total sense - in that case - your end of the contract should remain UN-signed until the entire deal is worked out. At that stage - when all details are finalised and you are 100% playing the show - sign the contract.

• Members

As was said before - she said you sent her a signed contract which she signed and returned?

If thats the case - you agreed to play the show via contract - and i think the way you handled things was poor.

I understand you arent the right fit - that part makes total sense - in that case - your end of the contract should remain UN-signed until the entire deal is worked out. At that stage - when all details are finalised and you are 100% playing the show - sign the contract.

The way I'm understanding it, the lady proposed changes to the time slot and payment amount after the contract was submitted. If that's correct, it negates the whole deal as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

I dunno bro you were told upfront what she wanted and now you wait around for awhile and decided to cancel.

Can you blame her for her thinking your a flake ?

How would you feel if she did that to you? Just saying you should have nipped in the bud as soon as she told you her pet peeves.

I know if it been me I told to her no thanks on the spot because we're not that kind of band and walked away.

• Members

Some points:

I agree with MartinC. Don't sign the contract until the client signs first. This gives you the out should you need it.

If you had nagging doubts about the whole thing (which you did), these things should have been spelled out upfront. I've been put into uncomfortable situations like this before, but I'm more assertive now than I used to be. If someone had told me they liked us BUT wanted this changed, that changed and that other thing changed, I'm simply going to tell them "perhaps we are not the right band for you; thank you for your interest."

Even if the band had begrudgingly agreed to do the gig up to that point, as soon as the client told me "I never said 7:30," that would have been the end for me. If I can't trust their own word, what else can I expect? "No, I never said we'd pay you XXXX amount. We said we'd pay you YYY amount." Bull{censored}. I had to deal with a couple of jerks that operate like that last year. We were supposed to play a two-nighter weekend but we were a last-minute addition (called on a Wednesday). They tried to avoid signing the contract or even looking at it and even challenged the amount WE AGREED UPON OVER THE PHONE once we showed up in person. Long story short, we DID get paid for Friday night (in cash, which they REALLY didn't want to do), but declined to play the second night because of all the BS leading up to the gig.

You should have waited to update the website. It comes off as passive-aggressive. The order should have been:

Get other gig without their knowledge.

Tell the client "I don't think we're going to be able to do the gig with all of these restrictions and here is why..."

Cancel the gig and negate the contract. It just wasn't a good fit for both parties.

Wait a few days and fill that date with the already-confirmed booking on the website.

Life goes on.

• Members

Not to derail the thread, but speaking of "brew", I have officially switched from Widmer Hefeweizen to Blue Moon Belgian White.

Is this a seasonal thing? I had a hoppy amber ale last night which was a different kind of taste - It was like an IPA and a red did it.

• Members

Some points:

Even if the band had begrudgingly agreed to do the gig up to that point, as soon as the client told me "I never said 7:30," that would have been the end for me. If I can't trust their own word, what else can I expect? "No, I never said we'd pay you XXXX amount. We said we'd pay you YYY amount." Bull{censored}.

YEP- and the time change/ pay change is what finally pushed all of us to unanimously say- CANCEL IT!!! Which was within a day of finding out she "never said 7:30." So I don't think we handled that poorly at all as someone said. We were going to trudge forward with all these stupid stipulations and play the gig until she pretty much called me a liar with the start time BS. That was the last straw and I don't feel bad about it at all.

Now updating the schedule the same night... yeah we should have waited.

Oh and she let a fellow musician know she's pissed that I told a very solid blues band (with a following) the date was open.

So much for being nice.

• Members

Not to derail the thread, but speaking of "brew", I have officially switched from Widmer Hefeweizen to Blue Moon Belgian White.

Not a huge fan of the Belgian style but I do like Blue Moon Belgian White. I'm an IPA guy- the hoppier the better!

Archived