Digital Piracy

Potts

• Members

Typically any data analysis that is examined for "signifcance" has to have a scale in which to measure for a qualitative analysis of the population surveyed, i.e, scale 1 to 5. I agree "often" would be a ***** to define for any signifcance of the data analysis.

• Members

My issue with the survey is this question:

2. How often do you download music from file-sharing websites?

Maybe I'm looking too deep into the question, but I don't know if you are referring to legal or illegal downloads, or both(?), and if you are referring to copyrighted or free-range music. I'd have 4 different answers depending on the question asked. It needs clarification.

Thank you! Now that is solid criticism and something I obviously missed. Normally file sharing sites provide illegal content- but I shouldn't have to explain that. Thank you for the heads up.

• Members

KMart don't talk to me about research. I've probably spent 20 hours studying peer-reviewed and scholarly articles for this paper. My research is credible...my paper isn't based on the results of a three question survey. The following statement is horrible and not worthy of print.

According to a recent survey of 66 respondents, 22% percent stated that they've never purchased music in a digital format.

WOW!!!!

TWENTY WHOLE HOURS of research?

Clearly didnt spend enough time on proper survey design...

But like I said, maybe that doesn't really matter.

• Members

Thank you! Now that is solid criticism and something I obviously missed. Normally file sharing sites provide illegal content-
but I shouldn't have to explain that.
Thank you for the heads up.

Not an assumption I'd make.

Clearly, there are at least some in this thread alone who it is not obvious/a given for.

• Members

"When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me."

Hahahahaha... seriously, guys? Way to go on the internetting here, fellas. :facepalm:

I hope and pray that Potts' thesis is about the assumptiveness of musicians on the internet and how they believe they are already in the know about all topics of music.

Result: Potts gets an A. :thu:

• Members

Thank you! Now that is solid criticism and something I obviously missed. Normally file sharing sites provide illegal content- but I shouldn't have to explain that. Thank you for the heads up.

Sorry man..What I meant is that to be an effective communicator I shouldn't have to explain something "after the fact". My statement came across like you should have known that already.

• Members

"When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me."

Hahahahaha... seriously, guys? Way to go on the internetting here, fellas.
:facepalm:
I hope and pray that Potts' thesis is about the assumptiveness of musicians on the internet and how they believe they are already in the know about all topics of music.

Result:
Potts gets an A.
:thu:

Thanks Pal...some clearly went a little overboard here.

• Members

Not an assumption I'd make.

Clearly, there are at least some in this thread alone who it is not obvious/a given for.

See previous post. Do you just sit here on this site waiting for people to say something wrong or misspeak?

• Members

See previous post. Do you just sit here on this site waiting for people to say something wrong or misspeak?

Well, since (a) the gist of what I'm criticizing here is something I'm an expert on/have spent the past 17-18 years specifically doing as my job and (b) you seem pretty set on the belief that your survey questions are good enough, I don't need to wait much...do I?

Seems you're missing my point, though.

The basis of your thesis argument isn't what I have issue with.

It's your means/method of data collection.

• Members

Well, since (a) the gist of what I'm criticizing here is something I'm an expert on/have spent the past 17-18 years specifically doing as my job and (b) you seem pretty set on the belief that your survey questions are good enough, I don't need to wait much...do I?

Seems you're missing my point, though.

The basis of your thesis argument isn't what I have issue with.

It's your means/method of data collection.

It's a 10 page paper, not published, for what he's doing it will be fine. The terms would never fly in a published work (at this stage), however this is not being published. I think it could ultimately be a good research study using the basis for which he has right now.

I would be interested to see the data across a national or global population though. This could work for his action research study hesis when or if he pursues a masters.

• Members

I don't know. Some of the published work I've encountered during this research is pretty bad. ;)

And let me clarify again just in case anyone was wondering...I'm required to have a survey and an interview in this paper. They are both literally going to be plopped in the appendix and mentioned once in the entire paper. None of the information is being used to argue the topic, or support my thesis for this {censored}ty little 200 level class.

It's a 10 page paper, not published, for what he's doing it will be fine. The terms would never fly in a published work (at this stage), however this is not being published. I think it could ultimately be a good research study using the basis for which he has right now.

I would be interested to see the data across a national or global population though. This could work for his action research study hesis when or if he pursues a masters.

• Members

I almost answered the survey, but since the survey does not specify legal/illegal, the survey results cannot possibly mean anything to any legitimate research. I often download music for free where it is legal. Do I download songs that are supposed to be purchased? No. But some nefarious statistician could take your survey and interpret my answer to being some sort of digital thief.

Please re-word the survey to your intent and then I will respond.

• Members

I almost answered the survey, but since the survey does not specify legal/illegal, the survey results cannot possibly mean anything to any legitimate research. I often download music for free where it is legal. Do I download songs that are supposed to be purchased? No. But some nefarious statistician could take your survey and interpret my answer to being some sort of digital thief.

Please re-word the survey to your intent and then I will respond.

No

Archived