Facebook isn't my thing, but gotta use it?

LiveMusic

• Members

I really don't like Facebook. Smack in the middle of the bible belt, a huge amount of my friends constantly post religious stuff that I really don't care for. The prayingest bunch of people ever. Plus, FB isn't much about the written word, which I favor; it's mostly about photos, especially family photos and since I don't have kids (which haunts me), even though I like seeing some of the pics, overall, it just makes midlife crisis worse. Just being honest. So, what to do? It seems FB is THE way to communicate these days. Could I start another account? I don't have a "band" account (mostly a solo act), is that the answer? Is it totally separate? How should I use FB? Or is this something where you either join in the FB craze and post away, interacting with everybody? Like or leave it? Yuck. I can't see myself learning to like wading through all of the nonsense. It would be cool if they had a FB for music stuff only, no personal posts allowed, lol. Kinda like Myspace used to be.

• Members

I don't like it either.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ips&highlight=
I don't think it's required (yet).
Not EVERYONE is on FB either.
I predict that in a generation it will be a requirement to join a band~~
"Wanted : guitar player for local gigging band.Must sing,have pro gear, and 1000 plus friends on facebook (or personal mailing list)."

• Members

I don't like it either.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ips&highlight=
I don't think it's required (yet).
Not EVERYONE is on FB either.
I predict that in a generation it will be a requirement to join a band~~
"Wanted : guitar player for local gigging band.Must sing,have pro gear, and 1000 plus friends on facebook (or personal mailing list)."

• Members

I think fb may have shot themselves in the foot with this move: http://musformation.com/facebook-wan...-to-your-fans/

On the other hand, they kind of have everyone by the balls. We have over 1100 fans that WILLINGLY hit the like button and now only 59 people saw our last event posting???? mad.gif

We're going to have to start charging more just to pay for facebook promotions. facepalm.gif

• Members

I think fb may have shot themselves in the foot with this move: http://musformation.com/facebook-wan...-to-your-fans/

On the other hand, they kind of have everyone by the balls. We have over 1100 fans that WILLINGLY hit the like button and now only 59 people saw our last event posting???? mad.gif

We're going to have to start charging more just to pay for facebook promotions. facepalm.gif

• Members

We thrived long before Facebook and I'm sure we'll survive long after it's yesterday's news but I will admit tht FB is still the centerpiece of our promotions. We have a profile with 5000 friends and a Group with 1800. We make daily updates (people comment), post links to pictures (people view) and post event invites (people join). That being said we work twice as hard to develop reasons to keep tuning us in instead of out. Regular picture and video updates which we store on our website NOT on FB. We also maintain a strong website prescence and use FB to pull people toward the site rather that push people to our FB page. Is it a necessary evil? If you really play in a band that depends on connecting with people daily well... there's not better tool than FB. Will it be around forever. Likely not.

• Members

We thrived long before Facebook and I'm sure we'll survive long after it's yesterday's news but I will admit tht FB is still the centerpiece of our promotions. We have a profile with 5000 friends and a Group with 1800. We make daily updates (people comment), post links to pictures (people view) and post event invites (people join). That being said we work twice as hard to develop reasons to keep tuning us in instead of out. Regular picture and video updates which we store on our website NOT on FB. We also maintain a strong website prescence and use FB to pull people toward the site rather that push people to our FB page. Is it a necessary evil? If you really play in a band that depends on connecting with people daily well... there's not better tool than FB. Will it be around forever. Likely not.

• Members

Those of you who use FB to promote your music, do you regularly ask strangers (friends of your FB friends) to be your friend? If I wanted to do that, no telling how many FB friends I could gather. The goal being to get new fans for my music, I don't know if that would be effective. Is your band page a separate group from or an extension of your personal page? If it's totally separate, is that like totally starting over? Remember... I am a (mostly) solo act, original music. I suppose if I could gain new FB friends each week, over time, I'd gain some fans who like my music. How much time do you spend inviting strangers to be FB friends?

I suppose I could stomach it for awhile if it would get bodies in seats at shows. I mean, I have done it in the past, and people like my FB posts, but I really don't enjoy it. I have just played the game and found out it's really not to my liking. Now, if I could filter posts that I see...

Hey now... look at this!... tune out Facebook posts!

• Members

Those of you who use FB to promote your music, do you regularly ask strangers (friends of your FB friends) to be your friend? If I wanted to do that, no telling how many FB friends I could gather. The goal being to get new fans for my music, I don't know if that would be effective. Is your band page a separate group from or an extension of your personal page? If it's totally separate, is that like totally starting over? Remember... I am a (mostly) solo act, original music. I suppose if I could gain new FB friends each week, over time, I'd gain some fans who like my music. How much time do you spend inviting strangers to be FB friends?

I suppose I could stomach it for awhile if it would get bodies in seats at shows. I mean, I have done it in the past, and people like my FB posts, but I really don't enjoy it. I have just played the game and found out it's really not to my liking. Now, if I could filter posts that I see...

Hey now... look at this!... tune out Facebook posts!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by caeman

View Post

FB is just another marketing tool. Any business ventures that wants to be successful and garner more business should take advantage of the free social network tools at their disposal. FB, Twitter, etc. Just marketing tools.

exactly. You certainly don't have to use it, but why not since it is free and everyone seems to gather there nearly every day at least for a few minutes.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by caeman

View Post

FB is just another marketing tool. Any business ventures that wants to be successful and garner more business should take advantage of the free social network tools at their disposal. FB, Twitter, etc. Just marketing tools.

exactly. You certainly don't have to use it, but why not since it is free and everyone seems to gather there nearly every day at least for a few minutes.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BEMUSofNthAmrca View Post
I will never use facebook.

I don't want my music geared towards the kind of tools that use Facebook anyways.

Here's a little tidbit... Facebook is one its way out. In 5-10 years there will be another, better way for communication.
This seems a bit broad and naive in judgement. FB is simply a tool for communicating. To what extent people use it is their own choice, but it currently has an audience of 1 billion users. Unless one is so darn hipster and indie as to think it a sell-out, FB is the current-day tool to reach a lot of eye balls. A band that wants to succeed would be fools to at least not make some use of FB, if but for advertising their gigs.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BEMUSofNthAmrca View Post
I will never use facebook.

I don't want my music geared towards the kind of tools that use Facebook anyways.

Here's a little tidbit... Facebook is one its way out. In 5-10 years there will be another, better way for communication.
This seems a bit broad and naive in judgement. FB is simply a tool for communicating. To what extent people use it is their own choice, but it currently has an audience of 1 billion users. Unless one is so darn hipster and indie as to think it a sell-out, FB is the current-day tool to reach a lot of eye balls. A band that wants to succeed would be fools to at least not make some use of FB, if but for advertising their gigs.

Archived