Another pop cover thread...

mstreck

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mstreck View Post
Anywhere I can hear that remix?
Sure. It's the DJ Noodles remix on this page. The whole thing is probably on Youtube. On this one I chopped it into it's individual components, slowed it down to around 110bpm, taken the components out that I like, reassembled them, and then recorded them into my own mix to use at the club. That's the way DJ remixes work... they're construction kits that we manipulate in software.

http://www.djcity.com/search.aspx?se...one+more+night

• Members

Not really looking to work up any new tunes for the moment---we'll hang with the set list we have until next spring, at which time there'll be a whole new list of material to consider--but I'm having a hard time not seeing how "Die Young" wouldn't be a huge winner for any chick-fronted band right now.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by WynnD

View Post

I've known a lot of singer unwilling to shift keys. Doesn't make sense to me. It's a rare song that doesn't sound good in a key that the singer can handle.

I've played with that singer too. It's an ego thing. They think somebody, somewhere, is gonna notice that the band is playing the song in D instead of E and they're gonna think he's a wuss. facepalm.gif No, dude, what they are gonna hate is when your voice is cracking all over the place because you can't hit the notes.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

Anyone doing "50 Ways To Say Goodbye"? Maybe it's more of a west-coast thing, what with the mariachi horn riff and all, but that one is on the radio a lot out here. I think it's catchy as hell.

its getting a lot of radio play here we just thought the horn part was too much a signature part to cover it without it

• Members

View Post

Not really looking to work up any new tunes for the moment---we'll hang with the set list we have until next spring, at which time there'll be a whole new list of material to consider--but I'm having a hard time not seeing how "Die Young" wouldn't be a huge winner for any chick-fronted band right now.

Dave brought that one up to Amy. Seems like it'd be easy enough - the brunt of the work would be on me (getting the proper synth sounds to pull it off).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mstreck

View Post

Dave brought that one up to Amy. Seems like it'd be easy enough - the brunt of the work would be on me (getting the proper synth sounds to pull it off).

haha! Welcome to the world of being the keyboard player in a top 40 band! No longer are you just the "pointless 2nd guitarist!"

• Members

View Post

haha! Welcome to the world of being the keyboard player in a top 40 band! No longer are you just the "pointless 2nd guitarist!"

No kidding! I think I spend more time programming than I do working out the different parts!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mstreck

View Post

No kidding! I think I spend more time programming than I do working out the different parts!

I DEFINATELY spend more time with programming than with parts on modern pop stuff. But the better you get at it, the quicker it will come. But you definiately have to find some pleasure in programming, IMO, or it just becomes tedious. Luckily for me, I really enjoy coming up with cool sounds.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
I DEFINATELY spend more time with programming than with parts on modern pop stuff. But the better you get at it, the quicker it will come. But you definiately have to find some pleasure in programming, IMO, or it just becomes tedious. Luckily for me, I really enjoy coming up with cool sounds.
I'm in the same boat - programming the sounds takes time, as does figuring out where to put them on the rig so that you don't have to get yourself all "pretzel-y" to play 'em! The individual parts themselves are often not all that tough ... but it does take some woodshedding to get them to the point that you play the various independent parts - integrating the technology (i.e., sound changes...) AND the independent hand coordination - so that you're playing it smoothly and in time as though you own it.

It does feel damn good when it all comes together!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
but it does take some woodshedding to get them to the point that you play the various independent parts - integrating the technology (i.e., sound changes...) AND the independent hand coordination - so that you're playing it smoothly and in time as though you own it.
Yes. The biggest problem I have is lack of rehearsal time with the full band and the biggest problem with that is what often seems like the best "mix" of sound textures and volumes when I'm workign stuff up alone doesn't necessarily work as well with the full band. Trying to mix on-the-fly--even with the use of footpedals--sometimes throws the whole thing off. Takes several performances for me to get everything working and sounding proper and doing it all smoothly.

But it definately puts a different spin on what it means to be a keyboard "player". Competely different from just sitting and playing a piano all night long. I liken it to what it must have been like for the first drummers who started playing a trap kit. Before then, you probably knew you way around the entire percussion family of instruments, but never played more than one at a time. Now you had to learn to play a dozen different drums and percussion instruments and make it all fit together into a seamless performance.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I'm in the same boat - programming the sounds takes time, as does figuring out where to put them on the rig so that you don't have to get yourself all "pretzel-y" to play 'em! The individual parts themselves are often not all that tough ... but it does take some woodshedding to get them to the point that you play the various independent parts - integrating the technology (i.e., sound changes...) AND the independent hand coordination - so that you're playing it smoothly and in time as though you own it.

It does feel damn good when it all comes together!
thumb.gifthumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jeff42 View Post
......We actually have more freedom than my "full Band" does (or did). There are only 3 of us and very like mindsets. We are willing to try anything........
The modern band that I'm in is four piece (guitar, bass, drums, singer) but we are willing to tackle anything. Some things don't work but we will try everything.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcpro View Post
As a DJ so far "Locked Out Of Heaven" has totally bombed - emptying the dance floor every time I've put it in. ......
Yeah, that's what I thought. It's too fast to dance to.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcpro View Post
....."One More Night" is the biggest download of the fall so far and always works as a dance track. ......
We're learning that this week. Any reggae or ska type song works for us.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff42 View Post
its getting a lot of radio play here we just thought the horn part was too much a signature part to cover it without it
I thought so, too but we do "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" and I cover the trumpet part, or whatever it is, on guitar.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
Yes. The biggest problem I have is lack of rehearsal time with the full band and the biggest problem with that is what often seems like the best "mix" of sound textures and volumes when I'm workign stuff up alone doesn't necessarily work as well with the full band. Trying to mix on-the-fly--even with the use of footpedals--sometimes throws the whole thing off. Takes several performances for me to get everything working and sounding proper and doing it all smoothly.
Great points! In addition to lack of rehearsal time with the full band - is the fact much (if not most) of the limited rehearsal time we do get as a band - is played on a very stripped down rig.

I find the whole "volume" thing is huge when developing sounds. Patches/voices that sound fantastic at very low volume often sound like ass when used at normal stage volumes. I do most of my "woodshedding" and patch development late in the evening ... which means I'm using earbuds so that the rest of the family doesn't go ballistic. Of course, this only exacerbates the problem.

These days, I usually bite the bullet and set up my entire gig rig - including my powered speakers in my music space at home - and ensure that I "test drive" new patches at normal stage volume before I use 'em live.

I also bite the bullet every now and then - and bring my complete gig rig to the occasional rehearsal. While I don't relish the extra work involved - being able to test drive patches in a "whole band" setting virtually always identifies changes that are needed. Using my complete rig at rehearsal also helps with rehearsing the "button pushing". It's not an every rehearsal thing ... but definitely something I try to do the rehearsal before a gig at which we're busting out multiple new tunes (or if we've had a little down time between gigs).

There's not doubt that the actual playing is only one facet to being a keyboard player these days. Having the technology side under control can be darn near as important if you're played "keyboards" (as opposed to simply playing piano).

• Members

Using my complete rig at rehearsal also helps with rehearsing the "button pushing". It's not an every rehearsal thing ... but definitely something I try to do the rehearsal before a gig at which we're busting out multiple new tunes (or if we've had a little down time between gigs).

This is a great point for anyone with any sort of electric rig. As a guitarist, I've been caught flat-footed a few times knowing a song, but not having my "effects dance" down, so the whole thing suffers, especially when singing is involved. I usually practice and learn stuff unplugged, so have to make a conscious effort to fire up the gig rig occasionally to coordinate the sounds with the song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I am sooo in agreement with STRATOCASTIC. I have rehearse the footwork that I do! So besides programming, the sounds there is the task of learning when to breath to best get the vocals to phrase right..and the coordination of footswitching.

My Band HOLIDAY ROAD is not a techo band, either..just a rock and pop cover band...but when you play certain songs you gotta have the right sound for them.

GtrGeorge

Archived