You're Singing the Wrong Words!

SoundWrangler

• Members

I'm not the one resorting to name calling ("wonderful, awesome, God like"). Just playin the odds the way I see em. Hell, why even have a producer if you're just gonna go in the booth and make {censored} up as you go along? And why bring Willie's harp player into the mix. But like I said: whatever. Gotta go.

Not calling anyone names. Just shootin' down your obvious belief that just because someone has the success of Tom Werman that they are immune from mistakes or might simply just not see something to be important that other people might. It's not a big deal.

Just sayin' that it's an (what always seemed to me to be) obvious error that always bugged the {censored} out of me. I may be the only person in the world who ever noticed or cared. So what? But the first time I heard it my thought was "{censored}, he just sang what he THOUGHT that lyric was without really knowing it", and my opinion on that has never changed.

Bugged me probably because I sang the stupid song a lot back in the day. So, just for laughs, here's me from many years ago, doing my best Vince Neil impersonation---sloppy as hell, and way too fast---but singing the CORRECT lyric at the end of the song! :lol:

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/6Oz8wNQWZ/Little_Sister_-_Smokin'_In_The_Boys'_Room.mp3.html

• Members

Here's a good interview with Tom Werman on his production style. He was pretty hands on in the studio, suggesting arrangement and such. Had a huge run of success in the 70's and 80's; definitely one of the better hard rock producers of the time.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/tom_werman_the_rule_is_sign_hit_acts_or_lose_your_job.html?no_takeover

Not too shabby David! You do/did sound a lot like Vince; More than Vince does these days.

• Members

Here's a good interview with Tom Werman on his production style. He was pretty hands on in the studio, suggesting arrangement and such. Had a huge run of success in the 70's and 80's; definitely one of the better hard rock producers of the time.

Well, that settles it then. He must be completely incapable of ever missing a small lyric change or of not caring about one that guido61 cares about. :facepalm:

• Members

Well, that settles it then. He must be completely incapable of ever missing a small lyric change or of not caring about one that guido61 cares about.
:facepalm:

I'll go with that. After all, that's what producers DO. Hell, even the rinky dink producer I worked with a while back heard things in the mix that the rest of us didn't, ringing on the snare for example. So yeah....I'd expect a producer of the caliber of Mr. Werman to be paying attention to obvious details such as choice of lyrics.

• Members

I'll go with that. After all, that's what producers DO.

If that were the case, then there would never be ANY errors on records and we all know that's not true.

But I only see 3 things that could possibly account for the changed lyric:

1) Werman didn't notice.

2) He noticed but didn't care.

3) He noticed and liked it or even instructed Neil to change the lyric.

I say it can only be #1 or #2 because #3 makes no sense to me because the new lyric is, at best, pointless and at worst, dumb. There's no REASON to change it on purpose so, in my mind it can only be #1 or #2. Neither of which make Werman an idiot or a bad producer. It's just something that happened while recording an album many years ago.

YMMV, but that's my opinion.

But whatever. Quite possibly the dumbest dragged-out argument you and I have ever had, and that's saying quite a bit. :lol:

• Members

Here's an interesting one that I didn't even know was a controversy (pun intended) until recently.

Like most people probably, I always assumed Prince was singing "we can {censored} until the dawn" in Erotic City. We were messing around with this song awhile back and one of the girls in my band insisted that, no, he's singing "FUNK until the dawn". I'm like, WTF, you're nuts. EVERYONE knows the lyric to that song!

I go look online, and it turns this is something that has been debated for years.

So which is it?

• Members

Here's an interesting one that I didn't even know was a controversy (pun intended) until recently.

Like most people probably, I always assumed Prince was singing "we can {censored} until the dawn" in Erotic City. We were messing around with this song awhile back and one of the girls in my band insisted that, no, he's singing "FUNK until the dawn". I'm like, WTF, you're nuts. EVERYONE knows the lyric to that song!

I go look online, and it turns out this is something that has been debated for years.

So which is it?

• Members

I go look online, and it turns out this is something that has been debated for years.

So which is it?

My guess is that like many songs, there are two versions, depending on the audience. "Tear the roof off the mothersucker." Yeah, right!

• Members

My guess is that like many songs, there are two versions, depending on the audience. "Tear the roof off the mothersucker." Yeah, right!

Actually, no, and that's why this one is interesting. There's only the one version. And nobody agreeing on what he actually sang.

According to the wiki-page about the song, the argument was made that he said 'funk' so that it could get some radio play. I don't recall ever actually hearing it on the radio, although I do remember hearing it once over the speakers inside a mall clothing store once and thinking that was quite odd in 1983...

• Members

Actually, no, and that's why this one is interesting. There's only the one version. And nobody agreeing on what he actually sang.

According to the wiki-page about the song, the argument was made that he said 'funk' so that it could get some radio play. I don't recall ever actually hearing it on the radio, although I do remember hearing it once over the speakers inside a mall clothing store once and thinking that was quite odd in 1983...

I don't mean two recorded versions. There are the "real" lyrics and the ones the artists use on the record to get air play. Some songs do have "live" released recordings, but in any case, often the "real" lyrics are obvious, even though you may never have heard them.

• Members

I don't mean two recorded versions. There are the "real" lyrics and the ones the artists use on the record to get air play. Some songs do have "live" released recordings, but in any case, often the "real" lyrics are obvious, even though you may never have heard them.

Ahh, gotcha. Well, I'm still sticking with the side who says he sang the "real" lyrics in this case.

• Members

Had we ever officially recorded one of those songs, though, I almost certainly would have insisted we call up whoever-it-is-you-gotta-call-up (you have to get the permission to record and release the song anyway) and make sure we had the right words

It would be some publishing company, and I'd be shocked if they knew or cared about anything but "Here's where to send the check."

• Members

This can be said not only of words and chords but sheet music and definitely guitar tabs.

Lord if I had a nickle for all of the awfully innacurate tabs I have seen. And I don't even use the damn things, usually comes up when somebody is playing something strange and they hand over what they downloaded and I just :facepalm:

Archived