st. patty's gig - meh. I'm tired of it.

Kramerguy

• Members

Well, throughout last year, I was positive and upbeat.. thought I was seeing a good surge of fans, and it looked like spring-summer that "band appreciation" in the area (from venues and fans) was on the upswing.  Then last fall, generally our busy season, fell flat.  Attendance through Oct, Nov, and Dec just sucked.  We've been adding a lot of newer stuff, and it's going over well, but that only means so much when it's going over great to the 10 people on the dance floor instead of the 40+ that used to be there.

Venues are doing bands less often, many are embracing DJ's.  Many have low turnouts no matter who is playing.  The band scene is yet again dying.  Last spring/summer appear to just have been a fluke and the death throes of live music are back on schedule.

All of that, and then add in that we're stuck on the pay ceiling, the max $$ around here just sucks.

And then factor in that we just have WAY too much crap to haul.. NO venues in this area offer a back line, we have to lug around (and maintain) a full PA, a full lighting system, and all the wiring and insanity that goes with it.  By the end of the gig, we're 8+ hours in (from door to door), loaded and unloaded a couple of tons of gear, and after gas and maintenance, we're barely breaking even.

It's not helping that one member is also dragging us down.  He doesn't practice at all and his performances have become a severe embarassement.  He owns half the PA and is the only member with space to rehearse.  I'm personally tired of it, tired of biting my tongue, tired of the same old bars, same BS getting paid at the end of the night, and some of the places we play, most of the staff treat the band members like crap.

I'm thinking of going back to original music.. at least with that, you generally haul much less crap, and at least know you are playing for yourself and anyone who likes your music.  This cover-band crap just sucks anymore.

Our gig sat night wasn't a horrible showing, but it was at one of our best places, turnout was less than thrilling (although still better than most of the other bars around here), but less than we normally would pull there, and this was st patty's weekend.. it should have been wall-to-wall.  

Just venting I guess.

• Members

Kramerguy wrote:

And then factor in that we just have WAY too much crap to haul.. NO venues in this area offer a back line, we have to lug around (and maintain) a full PA, a full lighting system, and all the wiring and insanity that goes with it.  By the end of the gig, we're 8+ hours in (from door to door), loaded and unloaded a couple of tons of gear, and after gas and maintenance, we're barely breaking even.

I understand a lot of where you are coming from. especially THIS part. That is why when we formed Ostrich Hat we made sure anything we purchased would be compact and easy to set up.

The long hours we put in with the last band really wore on us, especially when it looked like we went as far as we could go and the crowds just weren't there like they used to be... nor was the money.

A typical gig would go like this:

We would meet at 7pm, load up, drive to the gig for 8pm set up for around an hour and a half- (always something wrong with something in the PA system) play from 10-2, load out for an hour, drive back to the parctice space, load in there and then I would drive home and get in around 3:45am-4am.

With OH we usually arrive at the gig at 9:15pm for a 10pm start and STILL have a little time to BS before we go on.

We have had several "light" shows since the new year but it's picking up. This past weekend was killer. Hopefully it contiues as the spring arrives.

• Members

I wish there was such thing as a "typical gig". This Friday, we showed up at 9, club provides lights and sound, so we were sound checked by 9:30. Played 10:30-2. Saturday, we played a festival when the entire back line was provided (drums, amps, lights sound). Showed up at 4:15. Played from 5-7 (one two-hour set straight through.

This coming Saturday, we need to bring everything, so we'll get there around 7:45, play 10-2 and then have to break down and head home.

The {censored}ty part is there is no consideration given for bringing everything. The pay ends up being about the same.

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

We would meet at 7pm, load up, drive to the gig for 8pm set up for around an hour and a half- (
always something wrong with something in the PA system
) play from 10-2, load out for an hour, drive back to the parctice space, load in there and then I would drive home and get in around 3:45am-4am.

Yes, this is exactly our night, but meet up at 5:30 or 6.  Load the van, play show 9:30-1:30/2AM, and yeah, home about 4AM.  The PA constantly has issues, floor monitors constantly need repair, van always needs repair.. factor in lighting and PA replacement gear and upgrades and we are pretty much working for free (breaking even).  My guitar gear has taken a severe beating from constant gigging, spills, (people set drinks on floor or kick mine over), wear and tear .. ugh.

I think I just hit the official "burnt out" line in the sand, although the lack of crowds and dying scene aren't helping.

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

Kramerguy wrote:

I understand a lot of where you are coming from. especially THIS part. That is why when we formed Ostrich Hat we made sure anything we purchased would be compact and easy to set up.

The long hours we put in with the last band really wore on us, especially when it looked like we went as far as we could go and the crowds just weren't there like they used to be... nor was the money.

A typical gig would go like this:

We would meet at 7pm, load up, drive to the gig for 8pm set up for around an hour and a half- (always something wrong with something in the PA system) play from 10-2, load out for an hour, drive back to the parctice space, load in there and then I would drive home and get in around 3:45am-4am.

With OH we usually arrive at the gig at 9:15pm for a 10pm start and STILL have a little time to BS before we go on.

We have had several "light" shows since the new year but it's picking up. This past weekend was killer. Hopefully it contiues as the spring arrives.

Been like that out here for many years now.  That's the biggest reason why I stopped booking at clubs/bars three years ago.  Am now starting to see a new phenomenon in the privates market.  Bands who are being squeezed out of the club scene are now saturating the privates market and lowballing everything.  It is getting tougher and tougher out there.

• Members

While some bands around here have downsized in PA, lights, etc., we're upping our game - focusing on a better product. It's been paying off.

-------------------------------

I'm always upgrading my rig as well. Not necessarily making it smaller, but better.

• Members

I never really liked playing covers or hanging out in bars.  I'm not really a people person... well atleast a person who wants to hear some drunk go on and on about whatever band.  I started playing in an original band after 12 (or so) years playing in cover bands.  It is a lot slower than I am use to in terms of getting it off the ground floor.   Both have positives and negatives.

• Members

I still love music. I am doing solo stuff here and there perpetually hesitating to take the next step. But right now, music is the thing I do that I love. The idea of working yourself out of love with music kind of saddens me.

If you're good, you may just find some enjoyment in the original scene. Sure... there's the industry. It's dead, dying, a snake pit, parasitic, frustrating, you name it. But when you forget about that part and accentuate the positive, it really is worth it to me. There's a certain adrenaline that I've only received from those big stages, big lights, loud crowds singing our songs back to us. Then meeting all kinds of like-minded folks in other bands and their fans, all supporting each other. Those moments can get you through those other gigs playing to other bands and their girlfriends. It's really a different animal altogether.

• Members

My thoughts are just doing it for me, and getting back to writing in general.  I've been meaning to write and record more to slap it in the libraries for chump change royalties.  I just really enjoyed live performances in bars, at least, when the bar is packed, everyone is drinking, drunk, having a good time...  It just isn't much like that anymore.  Most bars are dead zones and their own worst enemies when it comes to live music .. it's gotten so tired.

Archived