Alternative Venues to Play

toober

• Members

Everyone bitches about bars paying little money. Karaoke and sports bars have taken their toll on the traditional band bar as well as economic and technology changes. Club scene has pretty much stayed 18-35 with current dance music so not much has changed there. Instead of having your band work for pennies and hassle with bar managers, why not seek better places to play for the same amount of cash? Now that the venue bar has been lowered, seek out other places. It's time to get the live music around where non-bar people will hear it and can appreciate it. So long as you aren't a screamo band, I think places like coffee shops, amusement parks, golf clubs, some already do restaurants, etc would be good to play at. I've seen dad bands playing at Harley shops, and that is what they generally want playing there.

These are places that all ages can attend and listen to your music. Did you design your music only for drunks? No! But yet, that's probably the only places you play it, right? Bar bands limit themselves to "of age" drinkers who go out late at night (and mostly weekenders). That eliminates non-drinkers and early birds from ever knowing you exist. That is why the private party industry is so lucrative and usually pays more money than bars. Take the private party mentality to other places. Has anybody thought of (or actually plays) somewhere publicly not normally mentioned in the forums?

• Members

I have a few gigs lined up at a Whitewater rafting camp this summer. There is a bar there but it is a diferent feel because A. People just got off the river and are pumped to celebrate the fact that they are still alive, B. People are away from home and out of their comfort zone which seems to lower inhibitions C. There are no other bars within a 30 mile radius to compete with. I bet Hunting & Fishing lodges, Ski Resorts, and the like would be very similar. They also pay a bit better because they make money of lodging, rafting, food, merchandise etc., not just booze....

• Members

I played with a classic rock/country/blues cover band who had a monthly gig at a fish camp for about a year and a half.  It was outside and they only served beer and wine so there were not many drunks.  It was either 4-8pm or 5-9pm.  They built a really nice stage after about a year.  It was hot as hell, but a great gig IMO.  That band was really fun to play with too and a lot of great musicians would end up sitting in with us. 

• Members

toober wrote:

Everyone bitches about bars paying little money. Karaoke and sports bars have taken their toll on the traditional band bar as well as economic and technology changes. Club scene has pretty much stayed 18-35 with current dance music so not much has changed there. Instead of having your band work for pennies and hassle with bar managers, why not seek better places to play for the same amount of cash? Now that the venue bar has been lowered, seek out other places. It's time to get the live music around where non-bar people will hear it and can appreciate it. So long as you aren't a screamo band, I think places like coffee shops, amusement parks, golf clubs, some already do restaurants, etc would be good to play at. I've seen dad bands playing at Harley shops, and that is what they generally want playing there.

These are places that all ages can attend and listen to your music. Did you design your music only for drunks? No! But yet, that's probably the only places you play it, right? Bar bands limit themselves to "of age" drinkers who go out late at night (and mostly weekenders). That eliminates non-drinkers and early birds from ever knowing you exist. That is why the private party industry is so lucrative and usually pays more money than bars. Take the private party mentality to other places. Has anybody thought of (or actually plays) somewhere publicly not normally mentioned in the forums?

I'm in the process of starting a second band right now (to supplement the current one).. and "off the wall" gigs are going to be one of the focuses of the group (and if it works, one of the focuses of the current group as well). Playing places that most people haven't thought of.... I'm thinking there will be less competition, and more room to impress. We'll see how it pans out....

• Members

Not so fast . . . .  Current nursing home residents grew up in the thirties and forties.  Even a set list of "oldies" from the fifties and sixties would be a bit premature.  You've got a ways to go before you get to the Classic rock generation.

Archived