US sales by genre

SeniorBlues

• Members

Nijyo wrote:

Keep in mind that "comedy" can be a deceptive category.

"Steel Panther", for example, charts in the "comedy" category.

Yeah, but how many records does Steel Panther actually sell?

I couldn't find a US list, but here's the list of the top 40 best selling albums of 2012 in the UK.  (The UK pie chart also showed a big percentage going to comedy.)    I don't see anything here that's a comedy or even parody record.  

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-selling-albums-of-2012-revealed-1785/

So if there's not huge albums dominating the charts, then it would have be hundreds of artists selling smaller amounts.   And unless there's some big underground movement of comedy artists that combined, sell more than Adele, Rhianna, Bruno Mars, One Direction, and everybody else that had big selling "pop" albums --- I dunno.   Anything's possible, of course.   But if that's true, then I've just completely missed the entire movement and I should probably go brush up on my standup routine!

• Members

Several things about this surprise me.  I'm surprised that pop isn't leading the pack and that rock is actually outselling it.  And that metal, blues, and folk are relegated to the "other" category.  This makes me wonder if this chart is maybe mislabeling certain bands and artists.

And yeah, comedy surprises the hell out of me, too.  I don't think I've ever bought a comedy album in my life.

• Members

This is from tunecore, so it could be based on their own sales, which are going to be primarily independent artists. I can see how the demographics of people utilizing their distribution service could skew the numbers from the overall totals. Metal seems low, but most metal bands aren't sending people to their tunecore page. They're peddling CD's at shows, which we all know they play plenty of. Contemporary Christian, on the other hand, isn't a real gig-heavy genre.

Still surprising, but that would be SOME explanation for sine of the weirdness.

• Members

Not sure if ventriloquist Jeff Dunham and his characters qualify as "git'r done crap" but he's hugely popular in the South and I know several people who buy his DVD's. I myself never spent $$ on comedy, except for a couple Jay Hickman tapes. BTW I think HBO played a big role in the "mainstreaming" of comedy.

Archived