DJs vs. Live Bands and Beating a dead horse

TrickyBoy

• Members

True enough. I have interest for my band, for a Christmas party 2 hours away. I'm just hoping I don't come in with two high of a price.

We need to include travel for 3 vehicles minimum and 3 to 5 hotel rooms. There's 5 of us, one female. So the minimum is 3. Girl by herself and we can pair up for the other 2 rooms.

We have our NYE price which is less than double our normal price but still works out good for us. We've booked 2 Christmas parties at this rate as well. I'm bit sure if that will come across too high or not.

It's always nerve racking when you tell them your price and hit send....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have my rig, which brings all our PA and my guitar setup:

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/FD78F7D3-9033-41A1-A0D5-30FAFFE74918-27481-00001225FA255CA0_zps8ef34cff.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/2BEE3DF3-A1F0-4B18-A9F0-6CDA3A49AA45-2809-000001A63D48A914.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/FA94A6AE-5F97-417B-83B2-4AC1A222D6A3-2809-000001A644345079.jpg

Light rig in action:

So I can probably bring our keyboard player.. The drums & bass rig can travel together, along with their respective owners. Then our singer who lives in another city needs to travel on his own.

He's 3 hours away, so this gig is almost in the middle. It's 2 hours away from us and about an hour from him, towards us. If I had a canopy we could load my truck up as well and all 4 of us ride together. But I'm not real crazy about having a canopy. I have a roll top which will let me throw my guitar rig in the box of my truck.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

True enough. I have interest for my band, for a Christmas party 2 hours away. I'm just hoping I don't come in with two high of a price.

We need to include travel for 3 vehicles minimum and 3 to 5 hotel rooms. There's 5 of us, one female. So the minimum is 3. Girl by herself and we can pair up for the other 2 rooms.

We have our NYE price which is less than double our normal price but still works out good for us. We've booked 2 Christmas parties at this rate as well. I'm bit sure if that will come across too high or not.

It's always nerve racking when you tell them your price and hit send....

Yes, it is.  But at some point you just have to set the price that's good for you and live with it.   I know we could probably work twice as much if we were willing to play for half the price, but what would be the point in the long run?  

About the best you can do is try to word the bid in such a way as to indicate you'd be willing to be flexible if the bid is too high.   The way we word it is to give the impression that we have smaller entertainment "packages" available for smaller budgets.  We really don't, but at least it gives us the opportunity to get them on the phone where we can negotiate with them and not lose the gig over what might be just a few hundred dollars.  

On a related note, I'm going to allow myself a gloating moment because this just came in over Gigmasters for a gig we did last Saturday.   I can't help but think that reviews like this only increase our ability to get the highest possible fees for these events:

"From start of the planning process to the end of the show, jumpstart was amazing! Made our wedding the best party ever. A little more expensive than some of our other options, but worth every penny and then some!"

• Members

That's awesome!! I'm a little surprised at getting our NYE rate for Christmas parties. The price I quoted the out of town gig is $300 less. But still pretty good considering travel etc. I hope they go for it, it could be a good inroads to playing private parties there!

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

That's awesome!! I'm a little surprised at getting our NYE rate for Christmas parties.

Unlike in the club scene, where NYE generally pays 2-3 times the usual rate, I don't find that what we can get for NYE is that much more than for other private events.  

• Members

Heard back. They are interested but on a day that's not available. At least it wasn't. I work Fridays so I only listed the available Saturdays. My friend who is a contact of the person in charge says they like what they see but they want it for Fri dec 13. I said I have to work, and so do 2 others. I said if the others are in, I'll take the day off but we are going to bump the price by $300 for all the work to "make it work"

I'll have to use one of my extra vacation days, and I've only got 10 of those days to use between now and 2018. But I will.

The guitar player got it off, they keyboard player can make it work, the drummer has it off and I'm in. Just waiting on the bass player. He thought it was sat, which was his first day off. I said no its the night before. So he will have to see if he can get it off.

The. It's full steam ahead!!!

Archived