A chance NOT to play to an empty room...

jeff42

• Members

Here's my dilemma. We have been playing a room every other month that has been dead... dead, dead. I mean really dead.

If we don't bring anyone there is no one there and since its a bit of a drive for our friends only a small group shows up.

The owner is a great guy, I have a long history with him and its decent pay but- 4 hours of an empty room is awful!

We only have one more gig booked there and I am going to tell the owner I dont want him throwing his money away on us at this location and only book us at his other bar where we do better. 

Today I got an offer to play a Christmas party, same night we are supposed to play at the "dead room." I hate canceling a gig for another gig but the Party is very tempting. 

Into the next year we are weeding out the rooms we don't like to play. There are a few. Hopefully we can pick up a few to replace the ones we are dropping. Sometimes lower pay is a better gig. Playing to a dead room is painful!

• Members

Maybe talk to the guy now and let him know what you are thinking regarding next year, and see if he would like to cancel the December gig.  Maybe he has a more local band that draws better there and you may be doing him a favor.  December is still far enough in advance that he may be able to book someone else.

If he wants to keep you for that night, anyway, you're in a pickle.  :smileyhappy:

• Members

This has recently become a topic of discussion for us also. We have played many a event, fund raiser, and what not that the crowds have been near non existant. Most of the places dont advertise, so I cant say its just us. Bass player would rather be doing other things than playing to an empty room. Myself, if its empty, I try not to dwell on it, and change my focus to the music. I understand not everyone can get past this. I tend to treat it like a paid practice. In you situation, I like the face to face discussion and then ponder the options....good luck.

• Members

Some people done like a Cadillac. For some people a tercel is just fine.

I used this phrase when negotiating a sound gig that was thinking of going with a free alternative.

"I understand that you can probably find someone else to do the sound gig for free. You can also take a shovel and dig a hole in the ground to s*** in, but an outhouse is much nicer"

They ended up going with free that year. I got the gig the next year, and I'm doing the gig again next year.

;)

Archived