Party (Rock) Band

msmooth

• Members

I'm looking to start a Party/Party Rock Band and am looking for some advice as to songs and instrumentation. I have been playing mostly classic rock with some oldies and country mixed in for the last 20 years and want to do something different. Would like to get more private events and even some weddings.

Right now we are looking at guitar/ bass/ drums/ keys with at least two of those players singing lead and background.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Members

Lots and lots and lots has been written on that topic in this forum.   Searching through some old threads will probably turn up a lot of good info.

From the sound of things, you seem to be pretty much exactly where my band was about 4 years ago.    5 old guys tired of the low pay/late hours/uneven crowds of the bar scene.  Changed the name of the band and marketed ourselves very specifically as a party band for the corporate/wedding market.  We revamped the look/presentation/songlist.   Lost one member in the process and eventually added a female singer when we realized that would probably earn us a lot more money (in addition to making us sound better since none of guys were anything more than average singers and we had no real front person) and then eventually adding a 2nd singer.

The results are on our website.  The songlist is very solid for us.  Steal what you think will work for you and disregard the rest.

Good luck!

• Members

It would probably pay off to try to find some younger front people and play some more current popular tunes. I've been in a place where you don't want to have a lead singer just because you don't want to deal with the ego and all, plus it can be hard to find a good rock singer. But if you expand your sights, and musical variety, and try to add a female singer (or two) and a younger male singer, it can really make your band much better with a broader appeal, if you find the right people. The band I'm in right now has 3 front people and they are very good at interacting with the audience and getting the party started. They really give the band an appealing "personality" and that goes a long way. And I think you should stay away from the stale old rock stuff you're used to playing. But, that might be hard to do.

Archived