• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kevin T wrote:

5yrs

Melodic eclectic classic rock and 5 origs

Mostly 30 mi radius of MOrristown

Over 100 shows

Do you have a regular following? More than 30 people who are not your roadies, wives, girlfriends, extended family? If not you are at the mercy of every venue owner you play for. 

I'd say this... without knowing the artists covered, Melodic, classic rock caters pretty older demo. 45 and up. That alone can be prohibative for good bookings unless you knock it out of the part with terriific musicanship and stage show. Originals are fine as long as they are dispersed through the set and the venue permits it. Playing your set list in my market would gaurantee you a $300-400 booking when working bands are averaging $500-700

• Members

We play the private party market. We don't play all the time, 8 - 12 times a year. It works, we all have our different lives & families.

Our regular rate is $1600, NYE and apparently Christmas Parties as well are $2500. We bring close to $40k of production with us.

But that's my fault.

;)

• Members

The other factor in our favor... people go out late and stay late. Bars don't fill up till after 11pm and most cases the busiest hours are between 12am and 2am. I've had situations where we've started the first set with about 15 in front of us and by midway through 100 show up. You blink and they are there

-------------------------

It's like that at the 2 venues I provide for. All the kids do their "pre-drinking" before they go out drinking. Gigs usually start around 10:30 even 11. Again, by the end of that first set it will be pretty busy.

• Members

In our town, lots of places have gone to 7 to 11 or 8 to 12, with only a couple going 9-1 because the cops are like bees on a barbecue after midnight and lots of people start heading home at 11 to avoid the hassle- which I'm sure is the intention of law enforcement. 

• Members

Kevin T wrote:

Hows those early hrs workin.out ? Id love to get some venues to stary early fans ask for it all the time. Seems on nj things change slow. Also early bands compete with late diners noy good for$

Kevin... it sounds to me that you are clearly playing for an older crowd... 40 and up. You really don't have a way to compete in that regard with the younger bands. The question is... do you play dinner music? The band I referenced earlier was an acoustic band... designed for dinner hour and social gatherings. If your audience is looking for an earlier start then I would start targeting resturants than want live music from a full band. Your right... a dinner band isn't going to make as much as a band playing at 10pm. It's harder to draw people after 10pm than it is at 7pm. 

• Members

Kevin T wrote:

We are a bar / club band but they mostly all serve food no we dont play cocktail music.ages range from 20. To 50

I guess i should just be glad those LapPop bands havent invaded nwnj

Well they are bypassing NWNJ... but that's b/c there aren't many decent clubs in the area. Mexicali Blues in Tenneack is the one club I could think of with stage, lights and house sound that would book club level bands, Colorado Cafe is closed I'm pretty sure as are a few others. 

• Members

Kevin T wrote:

Actually it is a type of leadership that doesnt put $ Above all else this is still art to some.

If all the band members are on the same page and have the same goal and they feel the band leader is taking them down the right path towards that goal, then that's good leadership.

When it's just becomes about one person's Trip To Nowhere where the only difference between what is "art" and what is not is which cover tunes he personally prefer....?   That's not leadership. 

It's up to each of us to decide which trip we're on.

• Members

Good stuff!!

I remember someone asking about my band for a wedding. I told them our price and she replied that her budget was $500.

I said that's no problem at all, here's 3 DJ's that I know are in your price range. Hope you have a wonderful wedding!

And I sincerely meant it. If we aren't a good match we aren't a good match, no problem, no hard feelings.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Good stuff!!

I remember someone asking about my band for a wedding. I told them our price and she replied that her budget was $500.

I said that's no problem at all, here's 3 DJ's that I know are in your price range. Hope you have a wonderful wedding!

And I sincerely meant it. If we aren't a good match we aren't a good match, no problem, no hard feelings.

Cheap DJ's *grin* I don't do any wedding for less than a 1000.00. Weddings are a tough long day, no 4 hour gig, more like 10.

• Members

True enough. I'm in a little town of 10,000. The more numbers I hear for the city, the more I'm tempted to move. Talking to a buddy he says my prices should be higher all around. But in our market it is what it is.

My DJ minimum is $600, then $900 + uplighting which can hit a couple hundred more.

Hmmmm it might be time to raise prices. ;)

The problem is, my day job is pretty good, pretty stable.

Archived