Solo gig rigs

OneEng

• Members

Solo rig:

Soundcraft EFX8 mixer
Shure Beta 58 mic
DBX dual compressor (for light comp on guitar channels)
1 x EV SxA250 powered speaker (FOH)
1 x EV Sxa100 powered speaker (Mon)
Larrivee LV-03re
Alvarez Yairi cedartop 12 string

Upgraded from my old Mackie 808/passive speakers rig a couple of years ago. I had the opportunity to A/B them at soundcheck for an outdoor gig and there was NO comparison. As soon as I heard the difference in freq extension & articulation, I knew I'd be selling my old stuff asap.

• Members

But I guess, also, that what you're saying that this is a matter of gain (or do you mean gain and the pattern together)?

Microphones "catch" what you throw at them. So if you line up 10 mics and adjust the gains/levels so they are exactly the same at say 4 inches, then anything that is 10' or 100' straight behind them will also be the equal level (compared to each other .. allowing for differences in frequency response). There aren't any mics that magically stop picking up at 10 feet (except for "differential" mics which stop in inches). The pickup from the sides (off axis) will change with the pattern of the mic.

• Members

Microphones "catch" what you throw at them. So if you line up 10 mics and adjust the gains/levels so they are exactly the same at say 4 inches, then anything that is 10' or 100' straight behind them will also be the equal level (compared to each other .. allowing for differences in frequency response). There aren't any mics that magically stop picking up at 10 feet (except for "differential" mics which stop in inches). The pickup from the sides (off axis) will change with the pattern of the mic.

Thanks for the clarification!

So how would it be best to talk about the differences between the PR35 and 767a? The Heil is cardioid and the EV is supercardioid, so the EV rejects more from the sides and at an angle from behind. The Heil rejects most from directly behind. The rejection in those directions for both mics in my experience is very good. But the gain has been trickier to set for the Heil because it sounds best to me (and for my voice) at about 1.5 to 2 inches back, farther back when really belting, with only occasional forays in really close. The EV, on the other hand sounds best for me right up on the grill, with only slight moves backward for louder singing. This means, if I understand you correctly, that using the Heil has meant having more stage sound other than my voice getting amplified by the mike at a higher level than with the EV, because the EV rejects more from the side and because I set it with a gain that accommodates my singing loudly right up at the grill. With the Heil I set it to accommodate singing farther back, and that makes what's around me louder, too. It also explains why with the Heil I have to be more careful about leaning near the mic when I'm wearing a broad-brimmed hat. The brim reflects sound from the floor monitor back into the mic, but with the EV I'd have to get very close to the grill for that to be loud enough to cause feedback. With the Heil it happens at a point a bit farther away, and I have to think more about what I'm doing with my head when I'm not singing. It doesn't happen when I'm singing because the brim is at the wrong angle, but it's a problem when I lean down and say my forehead approaches the mic with the brim right above it.

Sorry to go on like this, belaboring the issue, but I'm just trying to make sure I understand.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond!

Louis

• Members

You guys wanna be inpressed by a mic, try the Line6 wireless...I went fom rmy EV 510 condenser to the line 6 and I can onestly say that none of my wired microphones have ever made me this happy!

I have owned them all from the Shure's to the Ev's, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, you name it, mics have always been my thing since I am a singer but once I got the Line 6 my mind was opened a little bit more...with the mic modeling built into I can go from their setting (my favorite) to a EV 767a emulator ot a beta 58, or even an audix and they react and perform pretty close to what they are modeling...will be tough to justify changing this one now.

Rod

Hey Rod!...I didnt even knew that Line 6 made mics...is it really that good? I was about to purchase a Sure beta 58, but you got me thinking here!

• Members

Hey Rod!...I didnt even knew that Line 6 made mics...is it really that good? I was about to purchase a Sure beta 58, but you got me thinking here!

If you need a clean, detailed mic that has the convenience of being wireless, you can do no better for the price. I sing a lot at speech volume so I need something that will reproduce my voice as faithfully as possible, I was blown away by this unit, best money I ever spent in a mic.

Rod

• Members

Here's my solo/duo rig:

Mic - either an AKG D5 or Behringer XM8500. Don't laugh - the Behringer is an outstanding bargain. I've A/B'd it with a Beta 58, and it sounds much better. The AKG is also a sweet mic, but it seems to sit in a band mix better than in solo situations.

Guitar - usually an Ovation/Celebrity GC-054. I used to bring my Gibson J-45 (a '55), but for most gigs it's the Ovie.

Next is a Digitech VL-2 harmonizer. A great piece of gear. I got it when they first came out, and I"ve been generally happy with it. It's very natural sounding. However, it's kind of big and clumsy, and for me, the harmony switch is on the "wrong" side. I've just ordered a TC VoiceLive H1 to replace the Digi.

Amp - Fishman Loudbox Mini. I love this amp. It just sounds great, and is easy to manage. I run both the guitar and vocal mic into the Mini, then take the DI out to the house PA. It's easier to control the guitar/vocal mix that way. I also used this amp on a few more "mellow" electric gigs, with either my Epi Joe Pass or my 335. It sounds great in that format as well. Maybe not quite as good as my old Vibrolux, but very respectable.

For house sound, I usually use a Yamaha MG102C mixer into a QSC GX-5 power amp. From there I go into either a pair of Peavey PR-12's (for larger rooms), or a pair of Kustom 10" monitor wedges (smaller rooms). I've modded the Kustoms with bigger drivers, so they'll now handle 200 watts instead of 75 watts with the stock drivers. For really small rooms (less than 50 seats), I've used the Loudbox by itself.

That's about it. Lately I've been seriously thinking about replacing the QCS/Peavey setup with a Bose L1 Compact, but the price point of the Bose system scares me a little...........

• Members

My rig is as follows.
- 2 JBL MRX 515's tops
- 2 JBL MRX 518's subs
- 1 JBL PRX 512 powered monitor
- Peavey XR8600 mixer( also powers the tops )
- QSC GX5 to power the subs
- dbx dual 31 band EQ
- Peavey 23XO crossover
- dbx compressor
- Shure sm58 mic
- 2 sets of stage lights on stands
- TC electronics harmony G
- LR Baggs para DI
-MXR chorus unit
- Taylor 355 ce
- Taylor 314 ce
- Martin gte16

I have been very happy with this system and it's flexibility to go from small venues to much larger ones.

• Members

Depends on the gig and my function at it

Institutionals (VA hospitals, nursing homes, etc.), smaller restaurants, wedding receptions, and places where I'm hired to provide a low-key ambience - Crate Limo 50 (sometimes on a stand, sometimes not), SM58 Shure mic, Guild 6-string, Taylor 12-string, Hohner harmonicas...was using a VL2, but rarely do anymore.

Larger/louder needs - I substitute a Carvin PA1200 powered mixer and a pair of Carvin LM12 cabs on stands for the Limo 50

• Members
That's pretty cool.
:)

Is that a home-made Leslie?

Looks like it. this guy has been at EAA convention in oshkosh for years. A million people go to this airshow , and he was set up by the main gate from camp sholler. He played for tips and sold his recordings.

• Members

I responded earlier, but I figure pictures are better right? I got home from a "baby shower" gig (mostly adults drinking liquor) about 30min ago. While I was packing up I thought about this thread. Here are some pictures showing what I used:

The first two pictures show my "footprint"

IMG_20110918_195205.jpg
IMG_20110918_195215.jpg

Here was my view:

IMG_20110918_195235.jpg

This is how I packed it up (two trips in/out):

IMG_20110918_204328.jpg
IMG_20110918_204341.jpg

Here is one of me:

IMG_20110918_204429.jpg

All in all it was a great gig. I got $250 for 2.5hours and made a few contacts, including a prominent lawyer who wants me for a party next month.

• Members

My smallest rig is one or two Yorkville NX84 speakers iwth a Yorkville M8 mixer. For large shows I can switch to a Yorkville 500 watt powered head coupled with Yorkville M160's or Yorkville NX350's or Yorkville E210's.

I usually use a Shure SM58 or a Sennheiser e835, or if it's going to be a drunken party I'll use one of my AudioTechnica budget mics - very similar to an SM58.

I use midi sequences playing back on Winamp on a netbook into a Boss DR670... or a couple of old school JV880's and an Alesis D4. I've got some inexpensive but nice to play Ibanez Artcores that I use . I will sometimes leave the venue on breaks and I'm not going to leave an expensive guitar just sitting there - call me paranoid.

When I do Solo gigs I like to travel light.If it's a dance situation I will bring a sub if I have to.

Archived