I love it when some idiot criticizes my guitar soloing ...

EightString

• Members

Just having a good instinct for mixing up major pentatonic vs a minor pentatonic (along with the appropriate bluesey passing notes) can go a long way IMO. But I love listening to a talented player with a jazz background play even a simple 12-bar blues, not so much for their playing "outside" but for their fluidity and melodicism, along with some tasteful chromatism and maybe even even some quartal-sounding flourishes if not overdone.

I agree that Robben Ford offers some great examples of that. One of my fave RF instrumentals is "Revelation" (from "Talk To Your Daughter"). He gets jazzy but what shines IMO is the soul and the vibe he brings to the whole track- I never found myself thinking "oh wow he's playing jazz licks". Even when I knew even less about jazz than I do now.

I don't play jazz but I incorporate it into my playing on occasion. Jazzy non-jazz? There's your useless label for the week..

• Members

Hey, I'm just going with my personal experience of standing on stage for a loooooong time. Your audience and your experience may be totally different from mine. If you have a more sophisticated audience, consider yourself lucky and consider me a bit jealous.

Indeed, it's different for all of us. I have been in this area now playing consistently for over 20 years, and I was here before that before leaving for 10 years, so I have built a following that comes out to see me do what I do. I'm fortunate to have that following. Would my approach work for someone else? maybe, maybe not. Our fan bases are a result of more than just how we play. It's personality, friendships, style of music, song selection, etc etc. Which is why a one-size-fits-all approach doesn't really work. I do agree with you in one way, though- if you're playing to a new audience, keeping it simple won't hurt you a bit.

• Members

And if the audience gets too complacent, I can always flip the guitar up and play behind my head. Hokey, but everybody seems impressed.

I play sometimes with a guy who plays with guitar with his teeth. He knows it's hokey but I apppreciate him doing that, because it gets smiles from people in the crowd and on stage.

Archived